Gransnet forums

News & politics

should Corbyn and Watson both resign - or just lose the election?

(64 Posts)
jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 11:52:57

discuss - I am pretty sure Corbyn cannot win this election.

ladymuck Wed 30-Oct-19 11:55:30

I'm pretty sure that Labour cannot win the election while Corbyn is their leader.. (which is not the same thing).

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 11:57:40

I can't stand him. How do these people live with themselves?

Cameron and Corbyn, the worst offenders.

He is an embarrassment. Stand aside, let a younger more attractive person take his place. Sad and wrong, I know , but we live in a world where the visuals are everything.

jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 11:57:49

From Guardian letters:

''The only way by which a new leader could be installed in time to fight the imminent election would be if Corbyn resigned, but there is one very good reason why, at the moment, this is simply not going to happen. That is because Tom Watson would become the caretaker leader and in all likelihood fight the election as the prospective next prime minister. This is something not only the left of the party will not countenance, and his association with the Carl Beech case does not help matters.
Read more

So the obvious thing is for Corbyn and Watson to resign together, allowing the parliamentary Labour party and national executive committee to agree a short-term leadership team that would serve until after the election, when a formal leadership contest would be held. Until then, a Starmer-McDonnell double bill would brighten the political landscape significantly, though I concede that their middle-aged white maleness is an unfortunate side-effect of having to make such a decision under pressure.
Michael Woodgate
Bristol''

kittylester Wed 30-Oct-19 12:02:58

Do you really think the McDonnell is more electable?

Starmer is definitely a good bet but the person most talked about is the dreadful Long Bailey woman and could easily win any vote because she's a woman.

Thankfully, none of the current Labour front bench are going to get Labour elected.

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 12:04:45

I have met the dreadful woman....she seemed OK?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 30-Oct-19 12:09:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sussexborn Wed 30-Oct-19 12:24:55

Well that would be one way of deciding. Stage a Mr Universe type competition so at least the nonsense pouring out of their mouths could be ignored whilst we ogle their amazing countenance. I would vote for Cillian Murphy regardless of his manifesto!

I am joking before my intellectual superiors start whinging.

Sussexborn Wed 30-Oct-19 12:29:11

Most politicians seem ok. Perfectly charming except Vince Cable who was rude and obnoxious. OH had great respect before he found out what a surly wotsit he was.

MaizieD Wed 30-Oct-19 12:29:37

I think that the young rather like him

Amagran Wed 30-Oct-19 12:29:48

Yeah! Let's all go for someone attractive and with good visuals, someone with tousled blonde hair, shirt hanging half out of his trousers, good at hanging off zip-wires, punching the air, knows a thing or two about pole-dancing, water cannons and vanity project bridges, can do a U-turn on a sixpence, lie like a trooper and is not afraid to walk left of the law.

Oh, if only we had such a candidate, it would take all the uncertainty out of voting.

Calendargirl Wed 30-Oct-19 12:35:41

MaizieD

I know they want to lower the voting age, but really, that’s taking the ....!

MaizieD Wed 30-Oct-19 12:45:17

grin

But what a lovely picture...

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 12:48:49

spoken like a real idiot

Very rude of you.

Unfortunately we live in a visual age. When I listen to Corbyn on the radio, I like his voice and his message. He doesn't cut it in the flesh. I think Labour needs to wise up and play the game.

I think I am entitled to express my rather clumsily put opinion without fear of being told I'm an idiot?

grapefruitpip Wed 30-Oct-19 13:09:43

I await an apology before reporting. Fed up with it really.

Yehbutnobut Wed 30-Oct-19 13:13:43

Spoken like a real idiot does jar slightly. Being a bit of a pendant can I suggest ‘spoken like a true idiot’ kind of scans better?

#justsaying

Anniebach Wed 30-Oct-19 13:14:43

I understand what you meant grapefruit

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 13:30:28

Long Bailey has strange eyebrows and wears too much make up, but the reason I don't think much of her is that she really doesn't come over as the sharpest knife in the box and doesn't have a "human touch".

jura2 Wed 30-Oct-19 13:33:18

it is such a pity that people so rarely read a title and discuss its content and just shoot from the hip willy nilly. A pity.

I mean, what does Bailey's make up or eyebrow shape has anything to do with title of thread, let alone anything else?!?

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 13:35:05

I agree with Grapefruit too. Appearance does matter (unfortunately). In 2010, Gordon Brown gave the impression of being a grumpy old bear (even though he wasn't), compared with the much younger Cameron and Clegg.

I don't really think Corbyn's appearance and age count against him that much. I certainly know some young Labour supporters who find the grandad image quite appealing. He certainly doesn't fit the mould of ex-SPADs with sharp suits and smart haircuts.

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 13:35:40

Nothing jura. I was attempting to be ironic. Sorry!

growstuff Wed 30-Oct-19 13:37:15

BTW My personal feeling is that if Starmer were Labour leader that Labour would romp home. I suspect he will be one day.

Amagran Wed 30-Oct-19 13:42:00

Grapefruitpip, you are absolutely right. Whether we like it or not, visuals do matter. We only have to think how Ed Milliband for example was brought down. On this front, the Tories (who I do not support!) are much more savvy than the other parties, and Johnson is the past master at working the visuals. Corbyn, on the other hand, however sensibly he speaks, will always make older people think of Steptoe. And it is not a good look!

petra Wed 30-Oct-19 13:44:21

I have to admit that I sometimes get distracted by her eyebrows.

I'm tempted to email her 😉

Amagran Wed 30-Oct-19 13:44:47

And BTW, saying spoken like a real idiot is not a good look either.