Gransnet forums

News & politics

Grenfell Tower Inquiry Report

(106 Posts)
Grandad1943 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:56:59

The first phase Grenfell Tower inquiry has heavily criticised the London fire service for its actions during the time the disaster was actually unfolding. There is no doubt that the London Fire Brigade's Commissioner Dany Cotton did seem to present her evidence to the Inquiry in a very factual and seemingly to many a very unsympathetic manner.

However, I believe that those who read the report fully can understand why the decision to tell the residents who contacted the service from within their flats on that terrible night were advised to remain there. That instruction in the eyes of the report sealed the fate of many, but on the night of the disaster, determinations had to be made quickly and decisively and based on how a fire in such a building should behave.

In that, risk assessments and previous experience of high rise residential building fire have always concluded that those in residence are at least risk by remaining within there homes, but in this circumstance that advice turned out to be catastrophically wrong.

Why the fire spread in the way that it did is still to be fully investigated in the second phase of the inquiry. However, it has been concluded in the present report that polyecladding-cored panels and aluminium fixings were at the heart of the disaster and the base of why the fire spread so rapidly and unexpectedly in the way it did.

Many have stated they feel the inquiry should have made the properties of the cladding, it's fixings and the tests that were carried out in regard to its safety for use on such buildings the first and primary aspect of the investigation. It is also being asserted that the in-depth investigation and release of such findings are, in terms of time, imperative as there are many similar residential buildings which still have such compounds of cladding fixed on them.

While the above remains under investigation those that were caught up in this disaster and those who perished on that night can receive no justice, and those who are responsible for bringing about this tragedy cannot be brought to justice.

With all else that is taking place in the news at present perhaps with the release of this report we can take just a minute to think on all who lost their lives that night and on those who still mourn in its aftermath.

suziewoozie Fri 01-Nov-19 12:46:21

Ruby I don’t disagree at all about most of what you say. I think what I found unacceptable was the leaking of the report and the gutter press attempts to scapegoat D.C. and attack her rights to a well earned pension.

Anniebach Fri 01-Nov-19 13:00:49

Not at all ashamed of my opinions on people who choose not to express sympathy and people who overdo it for the camera , I find ‘I feel your pain’ nauseating regardless of who utters it,
plus it’s a lie, it is not possible to feel another’s pain,

So as cold as Dany Cotton’s response was , it was preferable to
‘I feel your pain’

Still trying to control posters opinions suzie ? Trying to control the opinions of others is truly shameful.

suziewoozie Fri 01-Nov-19 18:25:09

annie still criticising others for bringing politics into this thread?

suziewoozie Fri 01-Nov-19 18:28:14

Controlling the opinion of others? ??????? You grant me greater powers than I possess. Disagreeing and challenging does not equal controlling. You were wrong about her pension - saying that is not controlling your opinions, it’s calling you out.

lemongrove Fri 01-Nov-19 18:48:49

RubyLou excellent post.