Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we decide?

(36 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 31-Oct-19 19:45:40

50 MPs are standing down including our own Nicky Morgan. How do we know how good the new candidates are as they have no track record?

kittylester Thu 31-Oct-19 20:15:29

I agree, dragonfly. I did see Stuart Brady outside our co-op but that is as good as it gets!

I am really disappointed that NM is not going to stand again as I think she has been a good constituency MP.

Urmstongran Thu 31-Oct-19 20:16:54

At one time you’d vote for the party where you like their values. Now MP’s go rogue ... once they get voted in, who knows?

It’s now said they are not there (in the HoC) to represent us lot. They do their own thing!

So dragonfly who the heck would know any more?

dragonfly46 Thu 31-Oct-19 20:21:53

Stuart Brady is my neighbour but never bothered to knock on the door!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 31-Oct-19 20:22:36

ditto Urmstongran you can elect a MP then they flip flop and change parties and those who elected them have no recourse.

SueDonim Thu 31-Oct-19 21:44:18

It's the impossible question. confused

I was at the dentist today. Four of us - dentist, hygienist, receptionist and me - were discussing the situation, mainly in terms of not one of us wants to vote. I've been at this practice for well over 30 years and have never discussed politics with them before. What a shambles we're in. sad

AllotmentLil Thu 31-Oct-19 21:59:18

A friend and I had exactly this conversation at lunchtime SueDonim, a total shambles ...

varian Thu 31-Oct-19 22:01:49

You would have to be quite brave to express a strongly held political opinion to your dentist

SueDonim Thu 31-Oct-19 22:19:42

Ha, this was post-examination, Varian! In all honesty, I'm far more scared of the hygienist, who used to be in the army, than I am of the dentist. grin

Grany Sat 02-Nov-19 11:18:28

This might help

Dave Ward
@DaveWardGS
·
17h
THREAD I’ve been giving some thought to who should want to vote Tory. It took me bloody ages but please stick with this thread because I found out in the end.....

#VoteLabour2019
twitter.com/DaveWardGS/status/1190325951932096513?s=20

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 11:24:41

No thanks Grany whoever Dave Ward is I prefer to do my own thinking.

Nonnie Sat 02-Nov-19 11:33:17

Much easier to decide who not to vote for!

I am finding it much easier to choose than usual because I don't want to leave the EU. I will vote for the candidate who could oust our Tory MP regardless of policies. I am looking at the longer term so know we can vote out the government in just over 4 years but Brexit will be for my lifetime. Easy for me.

Grany Sat 02-Nov-19 11:58:58

A nurse shouldn't vote Tory
A teacher
A postal worker
A doctor
Young people
Pensioners
Disabled
Fire fighters

Mark Zuckerberg would love to vote Tory
Mike Ashley
Amazon bosses

There you have it. For 99% of us voting Tory would be akin to Turkeys voting for Christmas.

They always have and always will represent the 1%

There is no room for sitting on the fence in this election.

Tweet, doorknock, talk to friends and family and Vote Labour

dragonfly46 Sat 02-Nov-19 12:01:25

I am with you Nonnie. We don't even know who our candidates are except the Labour one who lives three doors from me and has not even had the courtesy to introduce himself.

Nonnie Sat 02-Nov-19 16:24:15

Does anyone know when the candidates have to be named? How long before they are set in stone? Just wondering how long BJ has to decide whether to go in with NF or not. He didn't specifically say he wouldn't just implied it.

Urmstongran Sat 02-Nov-19 16:31:30

November 14th I think Nonnie

yggdrasil Sat 02-Nov-19 16:38:20

whoever Dave Ward is

Dave Ward is General Secretary of the Communication Workers Union

Nonnie Sat 02-Nov-19 16:45:13

That's a long time in politics Urmston anything could happen in that time. Time to hold them all to account.

NotTooOld Sat 02-Nov-19 17:34:06

I would like to say just read all their manifestos when they become available and then make up your own mind who to vote for but, as we all know, promises made in manifestos are about as reliable as the weather forecast.

Urmstongran Sat 02-Nov-19 17:43:17

Manifestos or wish lists? Or blatant untruths?

petra Sat 02-Nov-19 18:25:17

This from the The Jennifer Saunders fan club ( of which I'm a big fan)

Electile dysfunction: The inability to be aroused by any of the parties standing for election.

Urmstongran Sat 02-Nov-19 19:01:10

Or this that I posted on the humour thread - it’s topical and it did make me laugh!

Nonnie Sun 03-Nov-19 11:10:21

NotTooOld Sat 02-Nov-19 17:34:06 I disagree, the weather forecast is much more reliable!

Nonnie Sun 03-Nov-19 11:17:40

Nigel Farage is not standing for election!

Davidhs Sun 03-Nov-19 11:28:10

You don’t know how good any new MP is going to be, what you can be sure of is, when they are parachuted in by Party Central Office they will follow the Party Line. A new candidate has to do what the party says, it’s only when they become established that they vote with their own conscience

Most but not all will have served as local councilors and be recommended by the local party agent