Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we decide?

(37 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 31-Oct-19 19:45:40

50 MPs are standing down including our own Nicky Morgan. How do we know how good the new candidates are as they have no track record?

Nonnie Sun 03-Nov-19 11:41:40

Apparently the polls overwhelmingly say more of us what to stay in the EU than leave. www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/britain-has-turned-against-brexit-biggest-ever-poll-of-polls-says/09/10/?fbclid=IwAR2X8SRGqnQR2s1Kj1vUo0A589olbbujJB9xjN7ZJ5Lx9IFjxSl1ABCr0Oc

varian Sun 03-Nov-19 19:32:32

This has been true for more than two years but how often have you ever heard an interviewer on tv or radio challenge a lying politician who claims that people just want to get brexit done?

Our media are complicit in the big brexit lie.

M0nica Sun 03-Nov-19 20:14:59

Nobody stands for Parliament with no track record. They may well have been parish, LA or county councillors, they will have had jobs, forged careers, been involved in charity work. They will have a whole lifetime of living behind them.

If that cannot give you any idea what they are likely to be as an MP, nothing can. Of course some will turn out to be useless, but the majority will be every bit as good as those who are retiring and some much better

NanKate Sun 03-Nov-19 21:41:25

The MP for my area is Dominic Grieve ☹️ who said he would support whatever way the Referendum went. Well he has let us down big time and has done everything to stop us leaving the EU even though his own area voted Leave. What a snake in the grass.

Many Remainers may admire him, but my point is that he has broken his promise to his constituents. I want someone who is as good as his/her word.

lemongrove Sun 03-Nov-19 21:55:15

Oh poor you NanKate in having had that weasel ( insult to weasels) for an MP.

AllotmentLil Sun 03-Nov-19 22:37:44

Mhairi Black (SNP) was elected when she was twenty years old, I don’t call that much of a “lifetime of living” M0nica ...

MaizieD Sun 03-Nov-19 22:54:35

I think there were a lot of MPs who said they would 'respect the vote' but who, having seen the unfolding disaster that was May's attempt at a Withdrawal Agreement, and the greater disaster of Johnson's attempt, have decided that it is better for the UK to remain within the EU or as close to it as possible.

Their first duty is to consider the best interests of the UK.

gmarie Mon 04-Nov-19 05:24:33

Ironically, here in the states we envy your speedy process as the lead up to our elections takes years! I guess the plus side of our process is that we have a pretty good idea of who stands for what by the time votes are cast but, boy, do we get sick of the debates, political posturing and ads that take over the airwaves and mail system for what seems like an eternity. hmm Oh, and that's only an asset if people don't throw all caution and sagacity out the window to vote for the likes of a "Trump".

M0nica Mon 04-Nov-19 08:49:09

AllotmentLil, there is always the exception to the rule and I would not be inclined to vote for someone so young for just that reason.

On the other hand, if she had come from a difficult background and overcome her problems or had exceptional childhood achievements, like Malala Yousafzai or even GT, or had triumphed over illness and the like, I might well choose to vote for them, despite their short lives meaning only a short period of exceptional achievement.

Nonnie Mon 04-Nov-19 10:20:25

NanKate Sun 03-Nov-19 21:41:25 Good luck with that, not sure there is one.

Listening to Today this morning and have decided that very, very few of them actually answer the questions put to them. I can think of so many which imply an answer but if you listen to the actual words they have left wriggle room. Just an: example BJ is not selling off the NHS. OK, he is not selling off the whole NHS but could sell off bits of it. Also there is no pact with the Brexit company but just read that one of them has stood down and is supporting a Tory. Hmmm

varian Mon 04-Nov-19 11:04:03

Dominic Grieve, chairman of the Security Select Committee, demands publication of the report disclosing Russian interference in the fraudulent referendum.

twitter.com/LibDems/status/1191286536333119490?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet