Gransnet forums

News & politics

Farage

(136 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 17:21:43

Farage has trousered a lot of money from a lot of gullible people since he started his company with no accountability whatsoever.

It is rumoured that he has squirrelled the money away and it isn’t available to fund candidates standing for his company.

Q. Can a company stand in a political election?

growstuff Sat 02-Nov-19 09:25:33

Gone are the days when the super rich lived in the UK and owned a factory or two in the UK and paid UK taxes. The UK is reliant on foreign investment to keep everything ticking over. It doesn't really matter where Peter Lansdown lives or where Hargreaves Lansdown is based because you can bet anything you like that he doesn't pay more UK tax than he absolutely has to.

Callistemon Sat 02-Nov-19 09:27:31

are you defending Farage yet again Baggs

Are you getting confused Labaik?

I don't think I've known of Baggs defending any politician, only defending fairness.

But, of course, I do not read all the political threads!

That is not a defence of Farage btw and could in no way be interpreted as such.

sf101 Sat 02-Nov-19 09:32:08

I agree with Baggs - well said. We could all make up anything and post but what is the point. They are all politicians and all can make money because they create the rules and know how to bend them!
I really hate the language of an election.

Callistemon Sat 02-Nov-19 09:40:22

growstuff

More fake news!
Who is Peter Lansdown?

If you mean Stephen Lansdown then he is no longer connected to Hargreaves Lansdown, he does live in the Channel Islands so presumably does not pay tax in the UK? However, he has ploughed much of his fortune back into Bristol Sport and other sporting clubs.

Perhaps you meant Peter Hargreaves, also no longer part of Hargreaves Lansdown, who lives in England? It's rather inflammatory to accuse someone of not paying their due tax without any evidence to prove that.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 10:21:11

Yes of course it’s a smear, I didn’t pretend it was anything else the word rumour tells you that.

I can’t abide either the man and especially his dangerous and racist politics.

We have not been in such danger from a political movement like this since the thirties. And I’m NOT talking about Brexit!!

I make absolutely no apology for anything I say about him.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 10:26:01

My post was in reply to lemons

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 10:51:29

A good question

Prof. Colin Talbot
@colinrtalbot
· Nov 1
A question about the Farage/Trump interview on @LBC was why did it happen at all?

An election has been called.

Why is the leader of one Party still being given personal platform on a radio station?

In fact why was he ever allowed to have the privilege once he’d set up the BXP?

Grandad1943 Sat 02-Nov-19 10:58:30

Well, England have just lost in the rugby world cup. So, that will very much go against Johnson and his government. A deep depression has just descended over the whole nation

Sadly, that's not fake news ?

Baggs Sat 02-Nov-19 11:04:18

Farage and Trump are people with political views that a lot of people support. They're allowed to talk to whomever will listen to them via whatever channels that are available. As are people who are at the opposite end of the political spectrum from them. This is what freedom is about.

No-platforming people with whose ideas you disagree doesn't get rid of those ideas. Surely it's better to have them out in the open?

As Andrew Doyle says: "No matter how much you might disagree with what someone says, there's always something to learn."

Sneering and smearing is shallow and pointless.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 11:08:13

Grandad43.....really! England played badly, it won’t go against Johnson and the government anymore than it would go against Corbyn.
What a daft statement you made.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 11:09:37

Well said Baggs.
Unfortunately the narrow thinking far left thinks otherwise.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 11:15:03

A lot of people all over the world support all sorts of extreme politics, but I don’t think that makes them right.

I am unclear why you are talking about freedom?

I reserve the right to be free to take Farage out on his politics any day if the week.

The man has dubious politics, dubious friends and dubious tactics.

Callistemon Sat 02-Nov-19 11:20:03

Grandad!

a deep depression has just descended over the nation
That made me laugh anyway
grin

It's only a game
(Waits to be shot down in flames)

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 11:20:26

Read your own OP WWM2 ......it isn’t about politics, it’s about rumour and smear.Fine, if that’s what you like doing, but don’t expect everyone to join in, even those of us who would never vote for Farage don’t agree with those tactics.

Callistemon Sat 02-Nov-19 11:24:25

I reserve the right to be free to take Farage out on his politics any day of the week

Oh, please do, whitewave, I agree.

But this is just rumour and innuendo and could actually play into the hands of his supporters if unsubstantiated.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 11:34:18

Yes it is rumour how many times do I have to say it??

IT IS RUMOURED.

I couldn’t make it more plain.

Don’t make the mistake that mud doesn’t stick - it does.

The Daily Mail etc are past masters at it.

growstuff Sat 02-Nov-19 15:15:27

Callistemon Yes, I did mean Peter Hargreaves. Sorry I got the names muddled.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Nov-19 15:19:48

I will be very interested to see Farages manifesto

Baggs Sat 02-Nov-19 16:29:35

A lot of people all over the world support all sorts of extreme politics, but I don’t think that makes them right.

Did anyone suggest that it did? Rightness or wrongness isn’t the issue; freedom of expression is.

Baggs Sat 02-Nov-19 16:33:40

reserve the right to be free to take Farage out on his politics any day of the week

Of course. But you’re not doing that with unsubstantiated smears.

growstuff Sat 02-Nov-19 17:26:45

Am I free to say that I dislike Farage's views intensely and think he's a hypocrite? I really can't stand the people who think he has anything to recommend him because they presumably share his views. Quite frankly, I wouldn't bat an eyelid if he fell in a very deep ditch and took his fellow Brexit Party MEPs and candidates with him. I think everything about him is gross and could never understand people who claimed he was just like them.

Just my opinion, of course.

Welshwife Sat 02-Nov-19 18:12:51

I watched Farage give his speech yesterday and thought he came over as a threatening bully - it did him no favours apart from maybe endear him to other bullies.

suziewoozie Sat 02-Nov-19 18:17:54

He’s struggling at the moment isn’t he to find his place? I’m surprised he thought threatening like that would work. As for not saying yet about standing in the election? The lovein/ lie fest with DT really demonstrated his true character.

jura2 Sat 02-Nov-19 18:30:28

He certainly should not have a radio and TV platform to campaign for elections - totally wrong.

petra Sat 02-Nov-19 18:48:30

Labaik
You obviously don't 'know' Baggs at all.
She's probably one of the deepest thinkers on here and by that very fact always fair.