Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you feel politically homeless?

(135 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 06-Nov-19 13:49:13

The news that Dr. Bendor Grosvenor, the art historian, has withdrawn his support from the Conservative party has got me thinking.

I wonder about how people are affected when they have become disenchanted with parties they have supported assiduously in the past.

My parents-in-law were lifelong supporters of the LibDems (previously Liberals), but they tore up their membership cards when they joined forces with the Conservatives. I also have a dear friend who has been a very active lifelong Conservative party member and even an Agent for many years. I know he has struggled with recent events and I don't yet know whether he has jumped ship, as I suspected he might do, but there must be a huge personal cost to someone in giving up on a political party they have been so invested in.

How do you choose who to vote for when the party you've believed in no longer seems like the party you joined? Do you feel you've been betrayed? How do you find a new political home?

kwest Tue 03-Aug-21 09:39:28

Yes I do feel politically homeless. The callous plans to let us older people die in the pandemic suits them in so many ways. Cost being a major one. Pensions, care etc. It would seem from their perspective that if they could get a large proportion of us killed off in a pandemic by withholding care and medication then for them it is a win win situation.
The triple lock, our meagre saving make virtually no interest, we have the worst pensions in Europe, we have worked for our pensions but we are being unfair to the young who will have to carry the cost. They too will get old and a new generation of young will have to carry their costs. Who plundered our pension contributions in the first place?
Finally MPs have awarded themselves another huge rise while public sector workers are having tiny increases or else getting their wages frozen. They all seem to be as bad as each other when they get into power so No I don't trust them anymore and Yes I feel politically homeless

Alegrias1 Tue 03-Aug-21 09:45:50

nanna8

Sailed through it ? Huh. How many died? We watch you so we know what not to do !

Perhaps the Australian government should watch us for tips on how to run a vaccine program.

Polarbear2 Tue 03-Aug-21 09:51:54

It’s not easy but I guess you choose the best Candidate for your values. I’ve thought for a long time that ballot papers should always include a box for “none of the above”. It’d be quite a scene if the “none...” won in lots of seats. ???

Mollygo Tue 03-Aug-21 10:20:40

nanna8

Sailed through it ? Huh. How many died? We watch you so we know what not to do !

Hmm OK, so what about watching how the vaccine should be rolled out. My Oz friends are less than impressed with their country’s performance on that. For example, vaccinations are lowest in Sydney suburbs with highest number of cases.

PippaZ Tue 03-Aug-21 10:22:28

Latest Voting Intentions 2 August 2022

Gossamerbeynon1945 Tue 03-Aug-21 14:31:06

I didn'tvote in the last election because I felt there was no-one to vote for. The Green party call women "non-men".

varian Tue 03-Aug-21 17:11:02

Most voters, if they thoroughly examined all the policies of each party (which hardly anyone ever does) would find a mixture of policies they agree with and policies they disagree with.

Because of our undemocratic FPTP voting system we have relatively few parties compared with democracies where voters have a real choice of voting for their chosen party without any fear of their vote being wasted.

Until such time that the UK introduces proportional representation and becomes a democracy (where no party or group of parties can rule without the consent of a majority of voters) then voters here must firstly decide which of the parties is most in line with their views, then decide whether to vote for that party or vote tactically for the candidate in their constituency who appears best placed to defeat the party they hate the most.

Non voters have less right to complain.

Mollygo Tue 03-Aug-21 23:37:52

I agree with your first paragraph Varian and I’d like to see proportional representation, though that only seems popular with a party when it’s not in power. On the other hand PR was how Nigel Farage was elected as an MEP and UKIP supported Brexit.
However voters also know that whatever any new government promises, they will, once elected, claim that they can’t fulfil their manifesto promises because of the mess left by the previous government.
It’s difficult.

nanna8 Wed 04-Aug-21 02:21:29

Yes agree about the vaccine rollout - it is very,very slow here. Don’t agree about the rest of it. Sadly, too many people have died because of government complacency. You are not alone in that but certainly no better than anyone else. I have relatives over there still and I looked on with absolute horror at the lack of leadership and the sad deaths that occurred.