Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tactical voting - again!

(36 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 16-Nov-19 10:28:43

Candidates for my constituency now available. There is a sitting Tory - Lib Dems have had an MP here before, and were second in the race last GE.

So - the greens and Labour have also fielded candidates as well as Lib Dems. Bingo! - anyone wanting to try and oust the Tories will have a wasted vote because the opposition is split. Where are their brains? It cannot be political ambition because the Greens and Labour know they do not have a cat in hell's chance of getting in.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Nov-19 13:00:41

The hours must pass so quickly in your household Grany

Urmstongran Thu 21-Nov-19 13:01:55

Regards tactical voting:

Looking at the poll trackers, the Conservatives are on a trajectory for close on 45% of the vote if the Brexit party vote continues to collapse in the way it has done so far.

Seems to me that the Leave bloc is far more cohesive than the Remain bloc and barring some unforeseen event, Boris will be returned with a comfortable majority.

Once again, Leave has come up with a simple slogan "Get Brexit Done" that Remainers may fulminate against, but cannot agree on anything that can compete with it!

Grandad1943 Thu 21-Nov-19 13:03:37

Davidhs Quote [ Clem Attlee had an ace up his sleeve, the NHS with universal appeal, after WW2 an overwhelming carrot for all the middle ground to get behind.] End Quote.

Davidhs, I believe the same can be stated for the present time. The housing crisis, the gig economy, zero-hours contracts and much else can be added to the NHS.

The above alongside bringing forward a fairer more equal society is a question of belief. No one is stating that it will be achieved easily, but a vote for Labour on December the twelfth will be a deep statement in that conviction whatever, on the surface, the chances of the Labour candidate winning in any constituency are.

varian Thu 21-Nov-19 14:07:09

"Get brexit done" is an attempt to deceive the millions who are fed up to the back teeth with brexit that voting Tory will put an end to it.

The fact is that it would only be the beginning of years and years of wrangling over trade deals

The fact is that BJ's deal does not remove the risk of a disastrous no deal brexit at the end of next year

Tha fact is that, with the exception of a tiny number of tax dodging billionaires and disaster capitalists, we would all be worse off compared to remain in the EU.

The fact is that the only true message we must get across is STOP BREXIT

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Nov-19 15:22:24

Tactical voting sites.

Excellent site

t.co/hyEprpLniB?amp=1

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 16:38:59

However, I believe that to poll for a Labour Candidate even if he or she has little chance of winning that seat on December the twelfth would be a statement of support for the fairer society proposed through radical change that are the Labour movement core policies.

I thought that way for years, Grandad. Unfortunately it doesn't convince many in the electorate and in our current situation it would be downright foolhardy to depend on a sudden change in voting behaviour.

The current imperative is to get the tories out by the most effective means.

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 16:40:50

Looking at the poll trackers,

I wouldn't be too convinced by the polls, Ug. I've seen some pretty odd weightings recently.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:11:29

A couple of pointers

Winchester: CON 45, LD 43, LAB 11
St Albans: CON 40, LD 40, LAB 17
Lewes: CON 44, LD 43, LAB 10

If you are remain labour vote Lib Dem in these areas.

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-Nov-19 14:19:24

THIS is EXACTLY why we needed to separate the General Election from leaving/not leaving/type of leaving the EU.
It makes me so cross as it is trying to find the least worst option. In MY area I have no voice.
SO annoying.
(Sorry to shout)
Arghhhhh!
?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:38:48

notspag I so agree