Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not voting- 1 of many reasons

(183 Posts)
Armynanny Tue 26-Nov-19 20:06:41

Electoral promises are meaningless because politicians are able to lie to gain the favour of the electorate, and then do exactly what they want once they have it. Then there is no accountability or recourse, other than waiting another 5 years or so to vote them out and replace them with someone else who will follow the established template and do the exact same thing.

notanan2 Thu 05-Dec-19 09:25:39

The green party doesnt necessarily have the best environmental policies. Go to the Vote for policies website and select Environment. You can then "blindly" chose the best Environmental policies. It was not Greens for me.

Likewise when I "blindly" chose what I felt were the best social and welfare policies, I did not get labour!

Just as greens may not necessarily have the most robust environmental policies, labour do not necessarily have the most robust policies for protecting the vulnerable and poor.

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 09:06:37

Just what, exactly, have the Tories done for us so far, may I ask? Anyone?

If there really is nobody that you wish to vote for (or tactically against) Armynanny, at least give the Green Party your vote. What's the point in petty squabbles on a dying planet anyway?

GracesGranMK3 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:53:46

Tories terrorise the poor, the middle-income and all but the wealthy.

Why would anyone vote for them?

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 21:12:31

You do not need to vote tactically to stop Labour. We can be pretty sure at this stage that there will not be a majority Labour government but the real danger is a majority for Boris Johnson which could irrevocably damage our country. Vote tactically to prevent that disaster.

notanan2 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:51:14

Well according to your link, Tories ARE the only option in my conatituency to vote tactically against labour .....
.... you are thw one promoting tactical voting so...

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 20:32:06

Keep Labour out is not a reason to vote Tory. We can at this stage be pretty sure that neither Labour nor Libdems will win a majority. The biggest threat to our country is Tory majority. So please, wherever you vote, make sure that does not happen by supporting whichever candidate is best placed to defeat the Tory candidate.

Labaik Wed 04-Dec-19 20:10:26

Chris Williamson is hell bent on splitting the Labour vote in Derby North [sigh]...

notanan2 Wed 04-Dec-19 19:49:18

According to that tactical voting link I gotta vote cons (not lib dem) to keep labour out

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 19:26:30

In some Tory/Labour marginals it may make sense to vote Labour but in many more seats the party which can seriously challenge the Tories is the Liberal Democrats,.

Before you cast your vote please look at the tactical voting advice

tactical.vote/

Grany Sun 01-Dec-19 20:16:07

James Foster
@JamesEFoster

1. If you’ve made your mind up to vote for anyone other than
@UKLabour
watch this video & think again.

2. If you’re not sure who you’re going to vote for, watch this video & choose
@UKLabour

3. If you’re going to spoil your paper, watch this video.

twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1201137988081729536?s=20

Oldandverygrey Sun 01-Dec-19 17:03:19

I am undecided as to whether I shall be voting or not, whatever the outcome you can bet your bottom dollar it will all go pearshaped! Don't think any party named are capable of running a bath let alone the Country!

muffinthemoo Sun 01-Dec-19 16:59:40

Every election since I turned eighteen, I have felt some measure of despair at my choices. Then I’ve muttered “Emily Davison” under my breath and done what seemed to be the least harmful thing in the ballot box.

Luckygirl Sun 01-Dec-19 16:56:06

Supposing we vote for a party that cares for us and we end up with a collapsed economy and facing bankruptcy because of the cost of the caring is more than we can safely afford.

This not what has happened in countries that have a proper social democracy where citizens are valued and cared for. Start with the Scandinavian countries.

Labour are committed to investment in infrastructure, which will create jobs and boost the economy.

I agree with Misha14 - I would rather vote for a party that has actually noticed that people are living in poverty while the rich squander their money and enjoy tax breaks.

I do not think that any party will get a clear majority - that is my hope. Excesses on the right and left might thus be curbed.

But under no circumstance whatever would I vote in a way that might prop up BJ - he is a liar and a cheat and we should not allow him to represent us.

One of the biggest problems we have and the greatest threat to democracy is our national press and the fat cats who control it.

Blondiescot Sun 01-Dec-19 14:07:36

I can understand people finding themselves in a dilemma over who to vote for, but I could never not vote. I've voted in every election - be it council, Westminster, Scottish Parliament or European - ever since I was old enough to do so. We are very lucky to live in a country where we have the freedom to vote - and although some may claim it is "emotional blackmail", personally I feel it's disrespectful, not to say downright insulting, to all the men and women who fought and died to give us the right to do so. By all means refuse to vote for parties whose policies you disagree with - but at least make the effort to go along and even spoil your ballot paper!

blueskies Sun 01-Dec-19 13:58:58

My MP is cruel and a liar. She lied on my doorstep saying she did not vote to cut benefits for the sick and disabled or to stop free school dinners for thousands of the poorest children in our country. Unfortunately my vote will not count as most of her constituents are politically illiterate and don't watch Parliament TV and have never heard of Hansard but read the Daily Wail.

MaizieD Thu 28-Nov-19 23:24:55

We came close to that when Harold Wilson had to call in the IMF and devalue the £

Thank you, MOnica for leading me to a happy couple of hours researching the economics of the '60s and '70s and the reasons for that IMF loan. The conclusions I've gathered aren't quite what you might want me, and other GNet posters, to believe.

In the meantime, if anyone has half an hour to spare I recommend watching this video as an explanation of how a national economy works. It's from the US, but the principle is the same for any country issuing its own currency. Just substitute GB terms for US ones

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHQCjFebIf8

Dinahmo Thu 28-Nov-19 20:09:09

M0nica the Greeks present situation came about because with their first tranche of EU funding they lowered the pension age to 55 for people who had worked 30 or more years. Some public sector employees could retire at 52 and some women with young children could retire at 50 on a reduced pension. With an aging population the pensions were too generous to be sustainable. AS part of the various bail outs the Greeks have had to raise the pension age to 67.

With regard to Gordon Brown and the banks it was the US sub prime market that was one of the original causes of the financial crash in 2008 and not what was happening in the UK. One of he side effects of having a global economy.

M0nica Thu 28-Nov-19 17:35:22

Misha Supposing we vote for a party that cares for us and we end up with a collapsed economy and facing bankruptcy because of the cost of the caring is more than we can safely afford. We came close to that when Harold Wilson had to call in the IMF and devalue the £

Gordon Brown let banks lend recklessly and borrowers borrow equally recklessly, when he had it in his control to cool things down. He chose not to and that is why we were so badly affected by the 2008 financial crisis.

What good is caring if we end up in a situation like the Greeks did, cutting pensions, and cutting expenditure on health and welfare, with children and old people starving in the streets

varian Thu 28-Nov-19 14:40:15

That is not the only choice Misha14. Britain deserves better than either of these extremes. Vote LibDem, especially in all the seats where the LibDems are best able to defeat the Tories.

Misha14 Thu 28-Nov-19 14:32:07

May I make a plea re voting Labour. Please don't Jeremy Corbyn put you off. Look instead at their policies and compare them with the Tories. Do we want a government that cares, or one that does not?

varian Thu 28-Nov-19 14:22:27

nannypink1 posts-

"I understand in a way not voting as I’m a leaver and my vote has been totally ignored"

This is the exact opposite of the truth. For the last three and a half years the people who have been totally ignored have been all of us who never voted leave. What on earth do you think this brexit nonsense has all been about if not pandering to the leave voters?

M0nica Thu 28-Nov-19 14:05:55

animous they were not biased sources. They contained actually voting figures by party for every general election since about 1900 and were published in a Houses of Parliament briefing paper. Briefing papers are produced by the Hof P library, who serve all MPs and all parties and are therefore neutral. If you do not believe me, then find the time to get parliamentary votes for every constituency for every election since 1900 and work it out yourself.

OK every voter spoils their voting paper. What then?

I've heard there's been a bit of voting fraud whereby non-voters found later that their ballot paper being used by someone else - so please, SPOIL THE BALLOT PAPER.

What is the evidence for this happening in this country? Other from tittle tattle. Since all ballot papers, spoiled or not have to go in the ballot box, which are sealed before being taken to the count, are you suggesting that the tellers, counting at open tables watched by scrutineers from all parties are doing this? How?

Yes, there has been some evidence of fraud with postal votes in some places and you always have the Irish saying, 'vote early, vote often', but while all fraud should be stopped, there is remarkably little in this country.

If you are so passionate that we have a fair system, how come you think 17.4 million leavers can totally ignore the wishes of 16.1 million remainers? The tradition in Britain is that when results are this close the views of both sides should be taken into account

But, of course you are only interested in a system that meets what you want, you will not tolerate any views that do not agree with yours. that is why you damn the current system but offer no alternative.

ananimous Thu 28-Nov-19 11:11:01

P.P.S. "The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them."

Turkish proverb.

ananimous Thu 28-Nov-19 10:38:28

P.S. I've heard there's been a bit of voting fraud whereby non-voters found later that their ballot paper being used by someone else - so please, SPOIL THE BALLOT PAPER.

nannypink1 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:38:22

I understand in a way not voting as I’m a leaver and my vote has been totally ignored ...is it worth voting again? YES it is ...my vote may just make a difference and there is no way on earth I would vote to get Corbyn into number 10....it doesn’t bare thinking about. So yes I will be voting in two weeks time