Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not voting- 1 of many reasons

(182 Posts)
Grannybags Tue 26-Nov-19 21:09:00

I agree I could never not vote. I've voted in every election since I was old enough

Mind you I've never been so confused as to who to vote for

BlueBelle Tue 26-Nov-19 21:06:26

Well that’s not helpful to anyone
I agree there’s no good guys in this debacle but to not vote is not an option in my opinion

Grandma70s Tue 26-Nov-19 20:57:18

How will not voting improve the politicians, I wonder?

Everyone who has the vote should use it.

As craftyone says, people died to give us the right to vote. Vote for the least bad candidate, or if you really can’t stand any of them, spoil your paper, but go along to that polling station and use your hard-won voice.

Susan56 Tue 26-Nov-19 20:55:15

Totally agree craftyone.I agree that a lot of the election promises will come to nothing but would never not vote out of respect and thankfulness for those brave,brave people who fought and died for us to be able to vote.

sodapop Tue 26-Nov-19 20:53:57

I'm with you craftyone but its hard to know how best to use my 'X'

craftyone Tue 26-Nov-19 20:12:32

I would never not vote. I only need to think about the suffragettes and what they did, the battles they went through so that we women could vote. A vote for an imperfect mp, yes we know that but people died so that we could vote

Armynanny Tue 26-Nov-19 20:06:41

Electoral promises are meaningless because politicians are able to lie to gain the favour of the electorate, and then do exactly what they want once they have it. Then there is no accountability or recourse, other than waiting another 5 years or so to vote them out and replace them with someone else who will follow the established template and do the exact same thing.