Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not voting- 1 of many reasons

(182 Posts)
Armynanny Tue 26-Nov-19 20:06:41

Electoral promises are meaningless because politicians are able to lie to gain the favour of the electorate, and then do exactly what they want once they have it. Then there is no accountability or recourse, other than waiting another 5 years or so to vote them out and replace them with someone else who will follow the established template and do the exact same thing.

craftyone Tue 26-Nov-19 20:12:32

I would never not vote. I only need to think about the suffragettes and what they did, the battles they went through so that we women could vote. A vote for an imperfect mp, yes we know that but people died so that we could vote

sodapop Tue 26-Nov-19 20:53:57

I'm with you craftyone but its hard to know how best to use my 'X'

Susan56 Tue 26-Nov-19 20:55:15

Totally agree craftyone.I agree that a lot of the election promises will come to nothing but would never not vote out of respect and thankfulness for those brave,brave people who fought and died for us to be able to vote.

Grandma70s Tue 26-Nov-19 20:57:18

How will not voting improve the politicians, I wonder?

Everyone who has the vote should use it.

As craftyone says, people died to give us the right to vote. Vote for the least bad candidate, or if you really can’t stand any of them, spoil your paper, but go along to that polling station and use your hard-won voice.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Nov-19 21:06:26

Well that’s not helpful to anyone
I agree there’s no good guys in this debacle but to not vote is not an option in my opinion

Grannybags Tue 26-Nov-19 21:09:00

I agree I could never not vote. I've voted in every election since I was old enough

Mind you I've never been so confused as to who to vote for

jura2 Tue 26-Nov-19 21:10:17

I'd rather someone voted for the Brexit party, than not vote.

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-Nov-19 21:22:05

I would never not vote. I feel one cannot moan about our politicians if one has not voted. I agree there is little choice this time but please vote.

QuaintIrene Tue 26-Nov-19 21:27:36

I have always voted, but I am stumped this time. The Independent candidates are ex BNP in my area. I am not voting for them. Voted Labour all my life but am not happy with JC.

Alima Tue 26-Nov-19 21:30:10

I am assuming by your name Armynanny that you do or did have connections with the Armed Forces. Back in the day when we were in the Mob there was only one party to vote for as the other one would decimate the Forces. Maybe that could help you help you decide.

notanan2 Tue 26-Nov-19 21:38:48

I think that women faught for our choice to vote so I dont think it is wrong to conscientously chose not to. Which is distinct from just not bothering to look into it.

SirChenjin Tue 26-Nov-19 21:46:31

I would never not vote - it’s a precious right denied to too many and I’ll use it out of respect to them and to the women who fought long and hard for us.

I vote according to the values of the party as a whole as opposed to its leader. Politicians come and go but the party which most chimes with my values (and morals) at this point in my life gets my vote. It’s not an easy choice this time round though, that’s for sure sad

ElaineI Tue 26-Nov-19 21:57:07

If you don't vote then you cannot complain about what happens in politics - that's what I was brought up with!

mcem Tue 26-Nov-19 22:01:00

So armynanny do you have better responsible suggestion? If I achieve nothing else by voting at least I show my DGC that it is an important duty and maybe next time round we'll have better choices.
Apathy and opting out will achieve precisely nothing.

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 22:09:27

If there is no one you can vote for there is always one you can vote against.

If you vote you have the right to complain, if you choose not to then your opinions on any public matter thereafter count for nothing.

Luckygirl Tue 26-Nov-19 22:17:20

Decide your biggest priority and vote on that.

For me it is to curb the Tories; and in my constituency that means vote Labour. If the candidate most likely to oust the Tory was Liberal, Monster Raving Loony or anything else I would vote for these. This is because I have decided my priority and will vote in accordance with that.

I am horrified that we as a nation have finished up with our own Trump, in the form of BJ. We have to clip his wings. He is a cheat and a liar.

jura2 Tue 26-Nov-19 22:23:40

indeed Lucky, and what we have both done here. I am no fan of Corbyn, but the way he has been maligned by the Tory and gutter press- and some here- has actually made me rally for him- now he has made his policy clear re Brexit.

It will possibly hurt us and certainly will hit many in our family, but only in the pocket - they won't starve or have to do without. So be it. But Brexit is the main thing to stop now- and I feel a second ref is best. I also think he is totally right not to say which he will campaign for, at the moment- as it depends on the deal he can (or can't) negotiate.

Jane10 Tue 26-Nov-19 22:25:36

I would never not vote. If you don't want to vote for any party go and at least be a spoilt paper. Make your mark in some way.

MaizieD Tue 26-Nov-19 22:52:58

I've spent my entire adult life voting for parties that never stood any chance of winning in the various constituencies I've lived in.

I've done that because I think that at least you should let the party of your choice know that somebody loves them... it does contribute to the numbers of supporters they can claim.

Of course, if there is not party you want to support that's an entirely different matter. But spoiling or not using your vote seems quite pointless to me.

Fiachna50 Wed 27-Nov-19 01:14:25

When you look at the people who queued in Hong Kong to vote. That picture made me feel very lucky and very humble indeed.

SueH49 Wed 27-Nov-19 01:41:19

Surely not voting only adds to the problems with governments word wide. IMO part of the political unrest throughout the world is because governments do not have a workable majority. Not voting may not change that but there is a good chance it may. Only then will we see political stability again.

Ginny42 Wed 27-Nov-19 03:12:17

I think anyone who is unsure of which party to support could look at which party offers the best chances for our grandchildren in terms of education, future job prospects and health care. The young are the future of the nation and deserve the best on offer.

That may mean a tactical vote to get the desired result.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Nov-19 03:56:01

Lucky that’s me too if the Labour party was led by a blue haired green eyed Martian I would vote for them because we have to get the Tories and the British Trump out to get any kind of stability back

notanan2 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:03:08

If there is no one you can vote for there is always one you can vote against.

Usually you can at least pick the best of a bad bunch.

Not thos time. This time they are all equally awful. Even the minor ones like green have some very extremist anti women views.