Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not voting- 1 of many reasons

(183 Posts)
Armynanny Tue 26-Nov-19 20:06:41

Electoral promises are meaningless because politicians are able to lie to gain the favour of the electorate, and then do exactly what they want once they have it. Then there is no accountability or recourse, other than waiting another 5 years or so to vote them out and replace them with someone else who will follow the established template and do the exact same thing.

Labaik Wed 04-Dec-19 20:10:26

Chris Williamson is hell bent on splitting the Labour vote in Derby North [sigh]...

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 20:32:06

Keep Labour out is not a reason to vote Tory. We can at this stage be pretty sure that neither Labour nor Libdems will win a majority. The biggest threat to our country is Tory majority. So please, wherever you vote, make sure that does not happen by supporting whichever candidate is best placed to defeat the Tory candidate.

notanan2 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:51:14

Well according to your link, Tories ARE the only option in my conatituency to vote tactically against labour .....
.... you are thw one promoting tactical voting so...

varian Wed 04-Dec-19 21:12:31

You do not need to vote tactically to stop Labour. We can be pretty sure at this stage that there will not be a majority Labour government but the real danger is a majority for Boris Johnson which could irrevocably damage our country. Vote tactically to prevent that disaster.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 05-Dec-19 08:53:46

Tories terrorise the poor, the middle-income and all but the wealthy.

Why would anyone vote for them?

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 09:06:37

Just what, exactly, have the Tories done for us so far, may I ask? Anyone?

If there really is nobody that you wish to vote for (or tactically against) Armynanny, at least give the Green Party your vote. What's the point in petty squabbles on a dying planet anyway?

notanan2 Thu 05-Dec-19 09:25:39

The green party doesnt necessarily have the best environmental policies. Go to the Vote for policies website and select Environment. You can then "blindly" chose the best Environmental policies. It was not Greens for me.

Likewise when I "blindly" chose what I felt were the best social and welfare policies, I did not get labour!

Just as greens may not necessarily have the most robust environmental policies, labour do not necessarily have the most robust policies for protecting the vulnerable and poor.