News & politics

Nearly there - let's do it

(33 Posts)
jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:29:51

We are at the amazing stage now, that if

Lib Dems in 17 Constituencies voted Labour

and

Labour voters in 12 Constituencies voted Lib Dem

we would be rid of Boris for good- as PM and MP too.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Dec-19 15:40:06

Wouldn’t that be a dream come true l

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:52:42

Wouldn't it just. So so close- we can do it.

janeainsworth Mon 09-Dec-19 16:00:50

Rather a big ask though, isn’t it?
How likely is that to happen, jura? Do you have any references?
And what can we do about it anyway?
I’ve cast my vote, but I’m not voting Labour instead of LibDem, and I’m not voting LibDem instead of Labour.

I’ve actually voted LibDem instead of Conservative, which seems to me honest and straightforward.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:07:27

Vote tactically - people are getting the message- They might have to hold their nose, take a deep breath, see beyond Corbyn or Swinson - see the end goal- get it done. I don't think it is a big ask - I've done it. OH has done it ... many others I know.

varian Mon 09-Dec-19 16:14:20

I have also voted LibDem, both because I believe in what the party stands for and because the LibDem candidate is best placed to beat our dreadful ERG Tory, so I didn't need to consider voting tactically.

However if I lived elsewhere I would in this election be prepared to vote Green, Labour, Plaid Cymru, for a pro-Remain independent like Dominic Grieve, and even for the SNP (although I am also totally opposed to breaking up the UK.)

This time the most important thing is to stop brexit.

Greta Mon 09-Dec-19 16:25:37

Since the referendum there's been a lot of talk about democracy and how we must respect the 'democratic' vote. Do we really have a democracy when people feel their vote won't count in their constituency or voters feel they have to vote tactically? An election in a democracy should not be some sort of game. Also, it was idiotic to call an election but leave the Brexit issue unresolved. That has made the voting even more complicated and confusing. A very British kind of Democracy.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 16:29:51

I am afraid Greta- the British First Past the Post system makes tactical voting the only sensible thing to do.

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 16:32:41

I expect the tactical voters get a great feeling that their vote actually does count. It's continually being on the 'losing' side that is discouraging and makes one feel one's vote is worthless.

We need PR. If it means hung parliaments and coalitions, so be it. At least it will represent what people really want and politicians will have to learn to work together and compromise.

varian Mon 09-Dec-19 16:37:35

You are right Greta. There should have been a second referendum rather than a general election, The LibDems in the last parliament voted for it 17 times but unfortunately neither the Tory or Labour Party would support it.

Ultimately, we must change our undemocratic First Past The Post voting system to some form of Proportional Representation, which most mature democracies use.

PR does give smaller parties and new parties a fair chance of being elected and, as it does often lead to coalitions, parties have to work together for the good of the country and not regard co-operation and compromise as dirty words.

The confrontational design of the HOC with two adversaries sitting three swords lengths apart is at least a hundred years out of date.

Since the building itself is no longer fit for purpose and requires £billions to be spent on renovation, surely it would be better to set up a Royal Commission to examine the whole question of our governance and perhaps just start again with an truly democratic electoral system and a new building?

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 17:24:14

I was planning on voting tactically for Labour, and probably will still do so, but Angela Rayner [sp] was so nasty towards Jo Swinson in the debate the other night part of me just wants to vote LibDem in support....

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 17:26:15

I agree varian. Much as I've enjoyed watching Bercow over the past few years I think it's time the pantomime element of our parliament is done away with.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 17:26:58

well yes, tempting. But honestly, at the moment there is only one priority - to stop Brexit and have a second vote. So... hold your nose, take a deep breath- and do what we all have to do. I/we have.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 17:30:09

Even in a constituency like ours where all the other votes added together will not oust an MP standing for re-election, your vote should count.
It should make them think.

Gonegirl Mon 09-Dec-19 17:32:51

It'll all go tits up. Vote for the party you support.

Gypsy Mon 09-Dec-19 17:40:31

How have you all voted? Election isn't until Thursday! NO WAY should any government give in and have a second referendum. The public have spoken. Now time to get on with it. It's a joke. The whole thing has been so headbangingly stupid. I don't have a vote where I live, but I do have to abide by what happens. So please be sensible. Vote for who you believe in and stop all this tactical nonsense.

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 17:46:48

And three countries out of 5 voted to remain so where's the democracy in that. I do agree that it's been head bangingly stupid, though. Oh and, given that you think we should all just get on with it, what's your solution to the Irish problem? I mean it comes to something when even the DUP find the PM of this country untrustworthy....

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 17:53:10

I think a lot of posters used a postal vote Gypsy.

Hetty58 Mon 09-Dec-19 19:11:43

Vote for the party and not for the person. Tactical voting wouldn't be necessary with proportional representation anyway. I can't wait to get it over with!

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 19:19:01

Yes, postal votes went 10 days ago.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 19:26:06

Hetty, we did not vote for the Party, nor the person - but for a clear aim- to get a vote on our future, now we know a lot more about what the reality is.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 19:28:21

I am rather confused Laibak
Which were the five countries and which were the three which voted to remain?

Are you including the dependencies?
They are not eligible to vote in a GE.

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 19:42:55

Ireland, Scotland and Gibraltar; Wales and England voted leave. ok you're going to say Gibraltar isn't a country but whatever it is they voted pretty unanimously and have been totally ignored. As have Ireland and Scotland.

varian Mon 09-Dec-19 19:46:53

Labaik posted -"I was planning on voting tactically for Labour, and probably will still do so, but Angela Rayner [sp] was so nasty towards Jo Swinson in the debate the other night part of me just wants to vote LibDem in support."

I have to agree.

What is it about these Corbynista women that makes them so nasty?

I am not talking about Dianne Abbott, who with all due respect is "yesterday's woman", but about the younger Corbyn groupies - Angela Rayner, Laura Pidcock and ghe utterly ghastly Rebecca Long-Bailey who we are told is being lined up as Corbyn's successor?

They are all utterly appalling.

Please bring back Margaret Beckett, Harriet Harman and Yvette Cooper.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 19:50:26

It's a Crown Dependency
But fair point, Gibraltar has been ignored.