Gransnet forums

News & politics

A politics no-go zone?

(86 Posts)
MawB Wed 11-Dec-19 14:14:17

I learned today that it is illegal to feature politics in any shape or form on TV or radio tomorrow . (Apart from the Election coverage after the polls have closed.)

Would it be possible for the same embargo to apply to Gransnet - or am I wishing for the moon?
How peaceful it would be.
Or would the vow of silence be more than some could take?

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 20:21:37

45 'elderly' folk for Sunday dinner on Friday- and pack and get ready to leave, and get Ye Olde Parish room ready as it is rented for Xmas when we are not here, and the spare rooms for neighbour to borrow for her family - ah that will keep me busy on Friday.

SirChenjin Wed 11-Dec-19 20:23:29

We do have that option - click on the title of the thread, then click on the little arrow that points downwards on the right hand side and then select hide this discussion.

If only we had the option to hide all threads on a particular topic as per MN then we wouldn’t see the b*ggars at all on our screens.

SirChenjin Wed 11-Dec-19 20:24:00

That to GracesGranMK3

Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 20:28:20

It could cause a backlash on Friday ?

MissAdventure Wed 11-Dec-19 20:28:42

There is a "hide this discussion" option.

MaizieD Wed 11-Dec-19 21:46:08

Nah, mine doesn't do that, SirChenjin. If I click on the thread title it just opens the thread. This is in the desktop version. Is it different in the phone version perhaps?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Dec-19 21:49:26

Really looking forward to Friday 13th it’s one of our children’s birthday ?

Jane10 Wed 11-Dec-19 22:00:42

I don't look at the politics threads generally but saw what Maw had said and agreed. Not an ostrich just sick of same old posters saying the same old things.

SirChenjin Wed 11-Dec-19 22:04:33

It could be Maizie - I tend to use my phone for GN. That’s annoying that the desktop version doesn’t have that option.

trisher Wed 11-Dec-19 22:05:17

If you can have a politics no go zone I want a games-free one.

SirChenjin Wed 11-Dec-19 22:07:22

Shall we all flood the site tomorrow with random non-political and non-game related threads?

Doodle Wed 11-Dec-19 22:08:06

Isn’t that the same thing trisher? ?

GracesGranMK3 Wed 11-Dec-19 22:15:50

I can't do it on my laptop or on my Kindle which I think is an app as it is very different.

Good to know it could be possible though SirChenjin.

MamaCaz Wed 11-Dec-19 22:16:14

I toggle between the desktop version and the mobile version, depending on what I want to do. (I use a tablet.)

It has to be the mobile version if I want to hide a thread (as has been said, it would be a lot better if we could hide a whole forum instead of just individual threads!), but I need to use the desktop version if I want to use the search facility.

MaizieD Wed 11-Dec-19 22:28:36

I don't actually see the point of hiding discussions. If you don't want to read a thread, then don't read it. If you keep hiding things you don't like you just end up in a bubble... surely?

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Dec-19 22:36:05

It’s always the same two or three posters (well one in particular) starting thread after thread, day after day, pushing yet more idiotic and dangerous Leftist nonsense.

Smacks of desperation doesn’t it?

MamaCaz Wed 11-Dec-19 22:43:23

I do it so that when I go to the 'active' list, the 50 discussions on it don't include things that I have no desire to look at - generally games, in my case.
To be honest, I don't often do it, but when there is a sudden run on games, and it feels like they account for every other thread on the active list, I sometimes resort to hiding them so that it is easier to see at a glance the threads that are more likely to interest me.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 12-Dec-19 00:31:39

JenniferEccles do you think being so rude is something special and clever? People start threads because they want to share something. If you don't like that thread don't share. I'm sure we all know what others will be interested in.

For me, I don't really want to read a post where the only thing the poster can do is denigrate other's views while offering nothing specific or even explaining why their views are worth considering. It's pathetic and puerile and I would certainly like to hide posts like that and I feel fairly sure I would never miss anything of consequence from such people. They just don't do substantive discussion.

MaizieD Thu 12-Dec-19 00:35:31

That makes sense, MamaCaz. It would be very useful for that...

? GGMk3

SirChenjin Thu 12-Dec-19 07:38:04

What’s wrong with being in a bubble Maizie? This isn’t real life where we have to face up to things we might not like - it just means we don’t have to scroll through a list to find threads we’re interested in.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Dec-19 07:47:14

I just want to gently say this with no maliciousness intended

What a load of snowflakes❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

BlueBelle Thu 12-Dec-19 07:55:02

Whitewave I find being called a snowflake if I show empathy or a different opinion, constantly, very childish
I love being a snowflake they are beautiful, pure(like me) and totally unique?
to MaizeD and others wanting to hide a thread I got taught a way back if you are on an iPad or iPhone (which I am) you have to go to the bottom and change FROM mobile TO desktop then scroll up and look for the little arrow at the top right, click on that and a group of suggestions come up about third down on left hand side is hide this discussion click on that and it will go Don’t forget to go back to the bottom to go onto mobile again

BlueBelle Thu 12-Dec-19 07:57:16

jennifereccles ‘Leftist drivel’ you are a hoot, bet you’re fun at a party

GracesGranMK3 Thu 12-Dec-19 08:03:23

If others are, so am I Whitewave. I would quite like an ignore button for the posters who add nothing to my life.

Bridgeit Thu 12-Dec-19 09:17:20

Bit of a selfish outlook, if one only engages with people who add something to ones life.
It is important to be aware of other points of views & acknowledge them in order to achieve a balanced view of the world.