Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this the beginning of the end for the United Kingdom?

(132 Posts)
trisher Fri 13-Dec-19 10:34:37

Results in Scotland and N. Irelnd indicate that those countries will not be happy to remain in the UK especially as Brexit bites. Can it be that the Conservative and Unionist Party has actually written the death certificate for the Union?

Buffybee Fri 13-Dec-19 16:37:21

So, the apparent advantage of the split would be for Scotland ?
I presume you live in Scotland SirChenjin, so I can understand your point of view.
What is a little confusing is that you would want Independence but still want to be tied to the EU.
What I'm trying to understand is what loss would there be to the rest of the UK.
Perhaps the OP can explain.

craftyone Fri 13-Dec-19 16:41:06

if scotland goes independent does that mean that any funds from England to Scotland will stop?

trisher Fri 13-Dec-19 16:41:19

I'm not sure it would (did I say it would?) I just find it interesting that the Conservative and Unionist Party (which is still their title) may over see the break up of that Union.

Alexa Fri 13-Dec-19 16:47:40

A united Ireland and Scotland an independent participator in Europe would be good for England in the long run.

But would Europe want England to be a member again?

Jabberwok Fri 13-Dec-19 16:51:44

I think so craftyone, in fact I'm almost sure!
Things change trisher, what once worked perhaps now doesn't and the two sides would be better to separate and go their own way. Scotland the same. As long as that is what the people of NI and Scotland want, I see no problem.

Buffybee Fri 13-Dec-19 16:53:16

So you're not saying that it would be a really bad thing for The UK then trisher.
As far as I can see The Conservative and Unionist Party would not be instrumental in Scotland leaving, so they may have to over see the breakup but it would be Scotlands choice to leave the UK, if they want to.

Jabberwok Fri 13-Dec-19 16:55:40

Alexa, who says we'll want to be members again?[ confused] If today is anything to go by, I would think it's unlikely in the near future!

Buffybee Fri 13-Dec-19 16:57:19

I think what I'm actually trying to say is that if the majority of Scottish people want Independence, then I think that they should be allowed to have it.
Why not?

Jabberwok Fri 13-Dec-19 16:58:59

Will the EU accept an independent Scotland as a member overnight?! Might be better to have a deal in place before leaving the UK!

SirChenjin Fri 13-Dec-19 17:34:42

Perhaps we should just go for for a hard Scexit - apparently it’s a wonderful idea hmm

Jabberwok Fri 13-Dec-19 17:41:19

Go for what you like SC, it won't be anything to do with Westminster once Scotland is independent!

SirChenjin Fri 13-Dec-19 18:03:08

There’s certainly a lot to consider smile

Buffybee Fri 13-Dec-19 18:07:58

I'm not saying that I would like Scotland to leave SirChenjin, you are our friends and we have a lot of love for Scotland and Scottish people.
We have been through a lot together and stood shoulder to shoulder. I would be sad if Scotland left us and I hope that they don't but I wouldn't want Scotland to stay if it didn't want to do. ?

Blondiescot Fri 13-Dec-19 18:10:49

I think it's certainly on the cards. I certainly hope so.

MerylStreep Fri 13-Dec-19 18:16:44

For those who support Scottish independence, think on this.
Uk defence spends £1.64bn per year supporting 10,000 private sector jobs.
These defence projects can not be awarded to a foreign power, which Scotland will be if they vote to leave the uk.

Tooting29 Fri 13-Dec-19 18:19:28

Trisher -I don't think so. I don't mind Scotland having independence provided English Tax payers don't get the bill.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Dec-19 18:39:33

MerylStreep Maybe those jobs could be transferred to the North of England which could certainly do with them?

TiggyW Fri 13-Dec-19 18:40:16

If Scotland wants independence, why not let them have it?
Just as long as the North of England can also have a referendum. We’re a foreign country as far as London is concerned and vice versa.

MerylStreep Fri 13-Dec-19 18:56:26

GrannyGravy
They would be transferred to the North & the Belfast ship yards.

varian Fri 13-Dec-19 20:25:01

I think this may well be the beginning of the end of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, ironically brought about by the so-called Conservative and Unionist party who have put a border in the Irish Sea, so NI is quite likely to vote for Irish Unification,. After all the majority in NI want to Remain in the EU.

As a Scot living in England it would break my heart to have to produce a passport at Carlisle and be treated like a foreigner in my own country. I firmly believe we are better together, in the UK and in the EU but I fear the forces of division and separatism my prevail.

annep1 Fri 13-Dec-19 21:09:42

Jabberwok, I think you need to go a little bit further back than 1921 ?

Daisymae Fri 13-Dec-19 22:29:01

I think that Scotland should have independence if that's what the majority want. However it must be fully independent, which includes fiscal responsibility. Can they afford it, will the EU want an independent Scotland who may not be a net contributor? What about their currency? If they want to row their own boat then why not? But like all things there will be a cost.

SirChenjin Fri 13-Dec-19 22:45:11

As with Brexit and all the uncertainty and unknowns that comes with that Daisy (which don't seem to faze the Tory voters) there’s obviously a lot of discussions and negotiations ahead.

Calendargirl Sat 14-Dec-19 08:36:44

I don’t pretend to understand the ins and outs of Scottish Independence, but listening to different opinions of the people before the election, as news teams travelled round the country, it seemed as in our own Brexit referendum, still hugely divided views. Some desperately wanting to break away, some equally desperate not to.
More division, more anger, more heartache.

SirChenjin Sat 14-Dec-19 09:17:58

Exactly that Calendar - plus years of uncertainty, and for what?