Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this the beginning of the end for the United Kingdom?

(131 Posts)
trisher Fri 13-Dec-19 10:34:37

Results in Scotland and N. Irelnd indicate that those countries will not be happy to remain in the UK especially as Brexit bites. Can it be that the Conservative and Unionist Party has actually written the death certificate for the Union?

jannxxx Fri 13-Dec-19 10:39:22

iv felt for sometime they all want to go their own way, especially talking to family in Scotland and wales,

lemongrove Fri 13-Dec-19 10:41:08

That’s at the door of the SNP.
However, if Corbyn had got in with their help, Labour would have had to agree to another Scottish ref next year, and if the outcome had been a yes to independence, then Corbyn would have written the death certificate.
Doubtful that Johnson will agree to another indie ref for a year or two, if at all.If he does do, of course the outcome isn’t certain to be a leave one.

Anniebach Fri 13-Dec-19 11:04:37

Corbyn would have agreed to another referendum in Scotland
and said in a speech in N.I. he supported a United Ireland.

Davidhs Fri 13-Dec-19 12:56:02

The Scots can paddle their own boat it they want to I dont have a problem with that. The big downside is what are we going to do about a customs border which inevitably there would need to be, wether it becomes an EU member or not.

Sturgeon is cock a hoop at crushing Labour but has little prospect of a second referendum in the next couple of years, the climate may be very different then.

jura2 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:58:46

Probably yes.

JenniferEccles Fri 13-Dec-19 13:22:37

Obviously it’s less likely to happen now than under a Labour government.

jura2 Fri 13-Dec-19 13:26:57

Interesting comment - how do you come to that conclusion???

JenniferEccles Fri 13-Dec-19 13:34:34

Because as I understand it, Boris would have to give permission for another Scottish independence referendum?

I stand corrected if that’s wrong.

Labaik Fri 13-Dec-19 13:37:20

There won't be another Scottish referendum for a long time. But I'm very afraid of where all that anger is going to be channelled to....

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Dec-19 13:40:05

I also think that the UK Government has to agree to a second Scottish Independence Referendum.

As I understand the whole of the UK will start the withdrawal process on the 31st January.

If Scotland votes for independence after that date it will have to apply to join the EU as an independent Scotland, and all that goes with it, accepting the euro and a hard border between Scotland and U.K.

I am happy to be corrected if I have got any of the above wrong.

Kalu Fri 13-Dec-19 13:50:42

Johnson will not want to go down in history as the PM to allow the break up of the union.

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t lose any sleep over Scotland breaking away, ‘that verminous race’ but his ego won’t allow for failure on his part of losing Scotland.

Granniesunite Fri 13-Dec-19 13:55:17

Yes. Scotland and now northern Ireland have shouted out loud that they're not happy with how Westminster is governing them.
Of course it's not certain that another independence referendum in Scotland would give us that ....but we are telling Westminster that that is what we want. It's as clear as the nose on your face ...as we would say up here.
It's our right others would argue.

ladymuck Fri 13-Dec-19 14:00:19

If the people of Scotland and N.Ireland want their independence, they should be allowed to have it. I hope, though, that they think very carefully about it first. Going it alone may not be the best option for them. N.Ireland is not a peaceful country, I do feel there may be a civil war if they can no longer blame the English for every problem they encounter.

Granny23 Fri 13-Dec-19 14:09:39

JE I disagree. It is the intransigence of Boris Johnston and his ilk that is fuelling the demand for a second Independence Referendum. More and more Scots are disgusted that we have to go cap in hand to a man who couldn't care less about Scotland, who is hell bent on taking us out of the EU, when a big majority of Scots voted to remain.

As to the problems of a border - as I have suggested before, set the border between Scotland and England (much simpler than the NI/Eire border) and let remain voting NI, Scotland stay in the EU.

For those who question whether Scotland would be welcome in the EU, I would point out that Scotland is currently in the EU and Scots are currently EU citizens. If Scotland becomes independent of the rest of the UK during the Brexit negotiations and transition period then it will be able to REMAIN in the EU, without the need to re-apply.

annep1 Fri 13-Dec-19 14:11:35

Well who is to blame for the partition!
I think we are very close to a united Ireland now which I find preferable as we will be part of the EU. But I do worry about more terrorist activity from those who want to be part of UK.

Jabberwok Fri 13-Dec-19 14:13:23

If the people of Scotland and NI want to go their own way so be it! NI in agreement with Dublin can rejoin the South and stay in the EU. Scotland however could find themselves out of both camps, then what?! Surely the need to get a cast iron agreement with Brussels about joining the EU before leaving the UK else they risk being well and truly 'on their own'!

Franbern Fri 13-Dec-19 14:15:03

Perhaps London could also go for independence and EU remain

Jabberwok Fri 13-Dec-19 14:21:40

The Protestant North was responsible for the partition of Ireland! At the time in 1921, it was the only way of avoiding civil war between Eire and Ulster as the North refused to be incorporated into the new republic of Eire.

LadyGracie Fri 13-Dec-19 14:32:43

Good luck to Scotland and their independence, but I wonder where they would get their money from, at the moment they're paid more per head of population than we are in England from the government.

trisher Fri 13-Dec-19 15:15:00

True Jabberwok but the election results show that the Nationalists have now more support that the Unionists A United Ireland would seem to be on the cards.

Jabberwok Fri 13-Dec-19 15:25:02

If that's what NI want, then that's fine as frankly it should never have been hived off in the first place, and but for the circumstances at the time, it certainly wouldn't have been. It would certainly solve the border problem!!
I have felt sorry for Jo Swinson! A horrible position to find herself in, not helped by a gleeful N.S, who should be ashamed of herself -Awful woman. Scotland is welcome!!

Buffybee Fri 13-Dec-19 15:36:34

Can someone tell me why Scotland becoming independent of the UK is such a tragedy?
I would think that it will save us a lot of money.

SirChenjin Fri 13-Dec-19 16:11:58

You'll need the money where you're going Buffy smile

For the first time in my life I'm very open to the idea of independence - and I can't believe I just typed that. I've spoken to a few people at work today who voted no last time but could definitely be persuaded if it meant our EU vote was upheld.

trisher Fri 13-Dec-19 16:31:12

Does anyone know if there is a process by which Scotland could appeal to the EU if Johnson refused them the right to a referendum on independence?