Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nigel Farage and the Brexit Party

(65 Posts)
Chestnut Sun 15-Dec-19 15:39:32

In all the post-election threads there has been no mention of Nigel Farage so I thought I would remedy that. If nothing else, it will give the remainers a chance to vent some more bile as I know they love to hate him. But before they start tearing him to shreds just consider this.

There were many pre-election comments accusing him of self-glorification and putting himself before the country. I can’t think of anyone less deserving of that allegation. Here we have a man who worked tirelessly for 25 years towards one goal, and who effectively fell on his sword for the sake of achieving that goal. In handing his voters to the Tories on a plate he sacrificed his political career, hardly the actions of a self-serving career politician. Over the last few years, other parties have consistently stolen his policies when they realized it was what voters wanted. Consequently, he has influenced the political landscape more than anyone else and without even entering Parliament. That is an amazing achievement. I heard someone describe him as ‘the most influential politician of the post-Blair era’.

Whether you love him or hate him, that is a factual description, and I think history books of the future will probably recognize his achievements far more than we do.

JenniferEccles Sun 15-Dec-19 22:50:01

He undoubtably was instrumental in forcing Cameron to give us the EU referendum so I am indebted to him for that.

I am certain if it hadn’t been for Farage’s success the referendum would never have happened.

Then he set up the Brexit party which did extraordinary well in the European elections despite only being in existence for a matter of weeks.

Finally he agreed to withdraw his MPs from safe Tory seats which helped Boris to his great victory.

So yes a huge thanks to Nigel from me.

It’s very probable we wouldn’t be in the happy position we are in now if it weren’t for him.

Labaik Sun 15-Dec-19 23:03:10

How many people make a career out of sabotaging their employers. And take home a fat pay cheque each month for not turning up and representing the people they were paid to represent? Who use that platform to appear on tv, radio; travel round the world giving speeches to right wing organisations. Who get people to pay to join their political party company and then tell those that want to stand for election not to do so [after they've paid for the privilege]. Who get fined in 2018 for misusing European funds; failing to declare the free use of an office in 2014 and in 2019 was fined for a brutal verbal attack on an EU chief?

Chestnut Sun 15-Dec-19 23:08:57

Singing Hitler songs at school Bluebelle? I think you've been taken in there. Farage is so hated by fanatical remainers and the far left they will do anything to discredit him, tell half a story or make one up. You can't believe everything you read. But once you've set your mind to something it's easy to see what you want to see and hear what you want to hear.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 23:14:40

I remember the boys at school singing a song about Hitler and his henchman.
It was rather rude and sung to the tune of Colonel Bogey

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 23:15:30

Henchmen.

growstuff Sun 15-Dec-19 23:23:30

To be accurate, Farage was a trader on the London Metals Exchange, not a merchant banker.

Labaik Sun 15-Dec-19 23:37:12

I wonder if they thought that 'merchant banker' was more appropriate?

Chestnut Sun 15-Dec-19 23:46:51

I remember the boys at school singing a song about Hitler and his henchman. It was rather rude and sung to the tune of Colonel Bogey
Exactly my point Callistemon. You can take something like that and embellish it. There have been endless smear campaigns and twisted stories which as I said some people believe if it suits their agenda.

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 23:48:59

Not defending Farage, but lots of the boys used to sing it.
I think they liked to think they were shocking the girls (it's not that bad).

growstuff Sun 15-Dec-19 23:52:34

The boys I knew didn't sing it.

growstuff Sun 15-Dec-19 23:53:34

Labaik Yes, they probably did. The LME traders had a reputation for being the "barrow boys" of the City.

Callistemon Mon 16-Dec-19 10:02:52

How old are you growstuff?
Probably younger than me.
I'm talking just after WW2.

Chestnut Mon 16-Dec-19 10:22:13

The people I respect are MP's like Dominic Grieve who left their jobs that they had devoted their lives to on principle
I thought Saint Dominic had been kicked out by the voters last week when he lost his seat. It wasn't his choice. Farage is the one who voluntarily sacrificed himself and his party. The British people certainly know how to deal with troublemakers like Grieve through the ballot box. They have removed all the remainer MPs who have been blocking Brexit for the last three years.

SirChenjin Mon 16-Dec-19 11:03:27

You mean the English and Welsh people Chestnut - not British.

Labaik Mon 16-Dec-19 13:09:24

Out of interest, what has Farage actually done apart from create Brexit? Even then, that wouldn't have succeeded had it not been for a combination of austerity cuts, Cummings, the ERG and a weak Labour Party; a sort of perfect storm. I do wonder what pleasure Cummings gets from his achievements; he isn't even a Conservative. He just seems to enjoy outwitting everyone.

JenniferEccles Mon 16-Dec-19 13:19:38

Well doesn’t every political want to outwit the opposition ?

Of course they do.

SirChenjin Mon 16-Dec-19 13:24:04

To the point of lying to Queen and country?

Of course they don't.

CoolioC Mon 16-Dec-19 13:29:02

I thought I had heard he is going to the US to help with Trump re-election and also to start another new party over in the UK, I admit I cannot remember what the party name to be used was.

He won’t go away.

Not sure about racism either, I think a lot of people get confused with that term.

inkcog Mon 16-Dec-19 13:37:51

Does Farage count as a political ( whatever one of those is)

JenniferEccles Mon 16-Dec-19 14:28:00

I heard he was going to be Donald Trump’s warm up man !

Chestnut Mon 16-Dec-19 14:32:22

Out of interest, what has Farage actually done apart from create Brexit?
You haven't been paying attention have you? Many of his policies over the last few years were taken up by other parties because they could see it was what people wanted. This stopped him from getting votes but he has actually been influencing government policies for years.

SirChenjin Mon 16-Dec-19 14:33:56

All comedians need a warm up man - Farage will be perfect for the job.

GillT57 Mon 16-Dec-19 15:18:57

Can I just add that you don't have to be a remainer or a 'leftie' to despise the man and what he stands for? I know many Tories, some of them Brexit supporters, and they loathe the man, perhaps because they are decent people who can see him for the charlatan and chancer that he is.

Callistemon Mon 16-Dec-19 15:39:40

The boys I knew didn't sing it.
Probably much too polite.

It was rather rude.

gallusquine Mon 16-Dec-19 15:55:32

It looks like you're not a stranger to spitting bile yourself Chestnut starting a thread with the express purpose of causing division. Why would you do that confused