Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen’s Speech

(42 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Fri 20-Dec-19 05:20:07

The Queen was staging her own subtle protest at having her time wasted. Hell, didn’t the government know that the last Thursday before Christmas was the day she traditionally headed off for Sandringham?

This time she had given most of her retainers the day off, had dispensed with the state coach in favour of the company Rolls and just pulled on the outfit she’d been going to wear around the Palace. .

Her face never broke from a scowl throughout. She couldn’t have made her feelings any more plain.

Jabberwok Fri 20-Dec-19 10:40:42

Oh For goodness sake the Queen is a very old lady and that was a very long speech. It is a solemn occasion despite Mr Corbyn describing it as a 'pantomime'! I'm sure HM was soon on her way to Sandringham, arriving well in time for afternoon tea and wasn't too put out at a short delay! The relief of not having a Corbyn led government would surely have overridden any slight irritation at later timetable.

annodomini Fri 20-Dec-19 11:42:10

The Queen has to keep her tone flat and unemotional to avoid sounding partisan. She didn't look specially grumpy to me though I could understand if she felt fed up, having to do a second speech within a short period. In fact, her face was partly hidden by her hat, better than by a crown! I was going to say 'hat's off' to a woman of 93 who might be reasonably expected to have her feet up in front of the fire; but that would be inappropriate!

endlessstrife Fri 20-Dec-19 12:57:48

I watched this earlier. She looked the same as she always does to me.

jura2 Fri 20-Dec-19 13:05:23

Does anyone think Our Queen is proud of her country and PM right now? Honestly.

Doodledog Fri 20-Dec-19 13:14:48

Yes, if anyone was scowling all the time it was JC. I think he should have made a bit of effort to try and look like he was saying something to Boris as they walked in, even if it was “I hate you and am so jealous that you won with this huge majority and are so popular, unlike me who will be on the political scrap heap before we even leave the EU”

This sort of attitude is so depressing. This election, more than most, was about very different visions of how the UK (for as long as we have it) will be run, and there are very many people who will suffer badly and directly as a result of a Tory win.

It really wasn't comparable to some sort of game, where the loser should be sportsmanlike and magnanimous in defeat.

I completely accept that (for whatever reason) the Tories won, and I understand that those who want the sort of Britain we will have as a result will be pleased about this - of course they will. But I really wish that there was less gloating and less ostentatious revelling in the result. A little bit of humility, and acceptance that yes, some people will be better off, but a lot of people who can least afford it will find their lives even less bearable as a direct result of this result would go a long way, particularly at Christmas.

annep1 Fri 20-Dec-19 13:37:32

I agree with Doodledog.
Just because most people wanted Conservative to win doesn't mean it was the best choice.

Anniebach Fri 20-Dec-19 13:42:36

Those who voted for them surely thought it was or they wouldn’t have voted for them.

Doodledog Fri 20-Dec-19 14:36:20

Yes, which I acknowledged in my post. It's the gloating that is depressing.

Calendargirl Fri 20-Dec-19 15:12:38

If the result had gone the other way, there would have been plenty of gloating from many Remainers on this site.

POGS Fri 20-Dec-19 15:58:42

Yehbutnobut

"The Queen was staging her own subtle protest at having her time wasted"
--

The Queen staged NO protest, subtle,, or not!

The Queen would not regard the ' due process' of holding the Queens Speech as ' having her time wasted.

The Queen fully understands the protocols and requirements of her role as Sovereign.
-

" This time she had given most of her retainers the day off, had dispensed with the state coach in favour of the company Rolls and just pulled on the outfit she’d been going to wear around the Palace."

The fact there was the usual Queens Speech Ceremony only a few weeks ago, pomp and ceremony some like to refer to it, meant this Queens Speech was basically a reaffirmation of the newly elected / returning governments prior Queens Speech.

It was sensibly and pragmatically deemed as fit and proper to make the unusually quick time between the two Queens Speeches a more low key affair.

Have you no concept of how much time, organisation and cost it takes to hold a State Ceremony requiring the Queen to travel by a State Coach?

Did you think it was appropriate to hold a full State Ceremony? Is that your issue? I have a sneaky suspicion think you would have been complaining if it had!

As for your assessment the Queen was wearing an outfit she had just pulled out and was going to wear around the Palace I think that is an opinion not many would share.

JenniferEccles Fri 20-Dec-19 16:40:04

So much in the speech to be pleased about.

One thing I have just read is that he is putting plans in place to make it quicker and easier for the authorities to move gypsies on who set up camp illegally.

These camps have blighted so many people’s lives for too long, so this new proposal is long overdue.

I can’t imagine Corbyn doing anything about it. He would have been bleating about the gypsies’ rights wouldn’t he?

Yehbutnobut Sun 22-Dec-19 18:35:16

Oh POGS that’s a hilariously overlong post in serious reply to my tongue in cheek post ???

Yehbutnobut Sun 22-Dec-19 18:36:32

Blimey! She’s not the only one. Too,subtle? I think not.

POGS Mon 23-Dec-19 15:08:28

Yehbutnit

'Yehbutnobut Sun 22-Dec-19 18:35:16
Oh POGS that’s a hilariously overlong post in serious reply to my tongue in cheek post ???'
----

There is a pattern forming between us YBN is there not.?

You don't like my replies to you because they challenge your view. It' s a pity you cannot come back with a mature debate/retort but rely on trying to belittle those who hold a different opinion.

To the next time, which it appears will be sooner rather than later.

GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 15:43:02

Funny POGS, I'm having the same issue with another right-winger. I think we're just supposed to shut up and accept their dominance. No pesky points of view that don't agree with theirs.

POGS Mon 23-Dec-19 16:37:38

Nope, just perhaps keep personal abuse out of it and debate as adults.