Gransnet forums

News & politics

Big Ben Can Bong For Brexit

(216 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 22-Dec-19 07:29:55

I see in my Sunday paper that the new Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, has said he would allow Big Ben to ring out to mark Brexit on January 31st, ‘If MP’s wish to do that’.
How refreshing that this Speaker seems keen to do his job impartially, so unlike the bombastic Bercow, who did everything in his power to force his own views about Brexit at every turn.

growstuff Sun 22-Dec-19 17:55:04

Did you have Spanish nationality WadesNan? If not, of course you didn't have any right to participate in Spanish politics. Jura has British nationality. Surely you're not a parochial Little Englander, who can't cope with "furriners".

growstuff Sun 22-Dec-19 17:56:07

Big Ben can bong as much as it likes. I won't hear it and if it keeps a few silly people happy, so be it.

GagaJo Sun 22-Dec-19 17:57:22

Hear, hear, Labaik.

Define how you see what jura2 is suggesting as 'trying to stop it' rather than protesting aprilrose? I think you're splitting hairs because you just want the majority who are unhappy about Brexit to shut up.

Peronally, I think leavers should just be happy the vote went your way and stop being such dogs in the manger.

If the vote had gone my way, I'd just be ecstatic it was what I'd hoped for and I'd have moved on to discussing Christmas pudding or the best way to wrap pigs in blankets by now. Not sniping and biting at those who didn't get what they'd hoped for in the elections.

growstuff Sun 22-Dec-19 18:15:37

I agree GagaJo. I'm waiting for a few details about this wonderful future we can now allegedly expect. I would have thought they'd all be full of positivity and creative ideas for using the new-found freedom.

Greta Sun 22-Dec-19 18:18:21

I thought Sir Lindsay Hoyle was going to be impartial. He has given in to a group of Eurosceptics' demand for Big Ben to ring. Did he, himself, perhaps vote to leave?

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 18:31:30

Touche!

inkcog Sun 22-Dec-19 18:55:40

you will probably be crying ? lol

Oh dear.

Labaik Sun 22-Dec-19 19:14:35

Greta; as far as I know yes he did.

Greta Sun 22-Dec-19 19:22:06

inkcog, I think Firecracker123's comment "you will probably be crying ? lol" answers the question put in another thread, i.e. "Do the Tories Care."

Labaik Sun 22-Dec-19 19:25:53

I've googled Sir Lindsay Hoyle but can find nothing about him other than the fact that he does not say which way he voted in the referendum. All I do know is that I was watching something on tv recently that made me instantly assume he would have voted leave but I'm afraid I can't remember what it was.

jura2 Sun 22-Dec-19 19:49:04

He can bong for Brexit, the delightful creature:

www.facebook.com/736307636826649/videos/2542973319145645/

WadesNan Sun 22-Dec-19 19:52:17

But you CHOOSE to live in another country - why do you feel you should have any say in what happens in a country you don't live in?

Poppyred Sun 22-Dec-19 19:52:56

All the remainers still full of poison......sad..........

WadesNan Sun 22-Dec-19 19:54:18

growstuff having been married to a "furriner" (what a disrespectful term!), I have no problem with those who CHOOSE to live in this country - I do have a problem with those who don't live here but feel they can dictate to the rest of us.

inkcog Sun 22-Dec-19 19:55:06

Please alert me to a remainer who is full of poison? Surly said person or persons need medical help.

suzied Sun 22-Dec-19 20:00:54

So why can’t people who choose to live in this country have a say in how it’s run? Oh no, they’re furriners so not British... how does that work?

varian Sun 22-Dec-19 20:08:16

Furriners living here could have a say in the fraudulent referendum if they came from any of the 52 Commonwealth countries such as Botswan, Seychelles or New Zealand, but not if they came from an EU country (except Ireland). What was the justification for that?

aprilrose Mon 23-Dec-19 05:44:46

Peronally, I think leavers should just be happy the vote went your way and stop being such dogs in the manger.

Oh dear - and that isn't a poisonous comment?

If the vote had gone my way, I'd just be ecstatic it was what I'd hoped for and I'd have moved on to discussing Christmas pudding or the best way to wrap pigs in blankets by now. Not sniping and biting at those who didn't get what they'd hoped for in the elections.

The thing is that for three years most of us who voted leave tried to move on. Many of us looked to "celebrate" on more than one occassion and found ourselves stopped by the minority of remainers who felt their cause was most important .

Even now, when someone suggests that some kind of recognisition is given to Leaving the EU the feeling is that this should not happen. Hence I say try to stop it. Of course at the end of the day you cannot stop it bu can use all your misery to put dampners on it cant you? Thats precisely what you are doing here.

I have to be wrong. I have to be quiet even if I want to celebrate because I am not allowed to upset you - that is how you come across to me ( and I suspect a lot of others might quietly agree. Bullies often shut others up thats why they do not understand when suddenly , as with Leaving the EU, they find that not everyone, in fact most, do not agree with them).

Poppyred Mon 23-Dec-19 05:54:07

Well said aprilrose ???

Firecracker123 Mon 23-Dec-19 08:13:15

Yes well said aprilrose ?

Happy Christmas ?

Yehbutnobut Mon 23-Dec-19 08:25:53

So it appears we have a populist speaker hmm At least Bercow was a strong and charismatic man. This fellow is so wishy-washy.

Yehbutnobut Mon 23-Dec-19 08:28:08

Bullies also use emotive words like ‘poisonous’ to belittle the opinion of others.

Yehbutnobut Mon 23-Dec-19 08:28:48

And sycophants give them thumbs up ???

inkcog Mon 23-Dec-19 08:32:15

Still don't comprehend the partying about leaving. That doesn't make me bitter/poisonous or anything else.

Oldwoman70 Mon 23-Dec-19 08:35:42

Bercow was one of the worst Speakers we have had. He was biased against Brexit and made no attempt to hide it. He went out of his way to thwart the will of the majority. I have no opinion of the new Speaker - I prefer to wait and form a judgment from his actions in office.