Gransnet forums

News & politics

Big Ben Can Bong For Brexit

(216 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 22-Dec-19 07:29:55

I see in my Sunday paper that the new Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, has said he would allow Big Ben to ring out to mark Brexit on January 31st, ‘If MP’s wish to do that’.
How refreshing that this Speaker seems keen to do his job impartially, so unlike the bombastic Bercow, who did everything in his power to force his own views about Brexit at every turn.

MaizieD Mon 20-Jan-20 12:16:07

Does he have a plan?

Nezumi65 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:24:09

I’m going to shut my business this year I think. It has served me well for the last decade plus (12 years I think?) and kept me afloat, but it is small and about half the work comes from abroad (services). I just cannot get my head around the paperwork needed to get paid by someone in another country post brexit. Everything I read is contradictory. If it turns out to be simple I’ll keep going, but a lot suggests it will be complex and involve a lot of paperwork (as we’ll have no deals with anyone anywhere). The amount I bring it just doesn’t make it worth it. I have no idea what I am meant to have done to prepare btw.

trisher Mon 20-Jan-20 13:35:39

MaizieD and. Nezumi65 should we write and ask him?

MaizieD Mon 20-Jan-20 13:50:28

I don't think he'd tell us, trisher as it all appears to be being kept top secret.

knickas63 Mon 20-Jan-20 13:58:47

What a load of codswallop. Far bigger issues out there!

Nezumi65 Mon 20-Jan-20 15:47:34

I don’t think they have a clue what they’re doing. I have given up trying to guess. Will wait and see, if it’s too much hassle I’ll finish off current work and then shut up shop. I’m sure I won’t be alone!

MerylStreep Fri 24-Jan-20 17:37:59

Great to see Bolton is going to sound a gong and deck the town in Red/White and blue.
Thank you Bolton ?????

vegansrock Fri 24-Jan-20 20:26:08

White cliffs of Dover will have a projection of the EU flag.?????

JenniferEccles Fri 24-Jan-20 23:10:22

Boris has signed the Withdrawal Agreement.
Another step nearer.
This time next Friday we will have LEFT ? Yippee!

It’s only taken three and a half years but never mind. Nearly there now folks.

Urmstongran Sat 25-Jan-20 09:10:11

Yes it’s a done deal now.

Nezumi65 Sat 25-Jan-20 09:47:44

Yippee Jennifer Eccles my business is dead yahoo, pop the champagne corks hmm

lemongrove Sat 25-Jan-20 10:00:35

Good news on many fronts, we are really leaving the EU at last, and Corbyn is toast??2020, Happy New Year!

JenniferEccles Sat 25-Jan-20 11:03:54

Of course we know that there is the interim period until the end of the year, so I imagine not a lot will change until then, but the country will benefit from the certainty that we are actually, finally leaving.

It’s an amazing achievement isn’t it, considering the lengths so many went to, to attempt to overturn the referendum result ?

Well done Boris !

Nezumi65 Sat 25-Jan-20 11:13:57

Amazing achievement to sell something that will make a lot of people a lot worse off to exactly the proper who will be the most affected. Especially when the campaign was fronted by someone who doesn’t even believe in Brexit but decided to come down on the Leave side to further his own political career.

I’m sure historians will have a field day. Lots to be written about the rise of populism.

Labaik Mon 27-Jan-20 16:30:22

So it will definitely not bong now. Oh dear. Brexit; the gift that keeps on giving. What with the Brexit party screwing money out of people you'd think that people would learn from it....

JenniferEccles Mon 27-Jan-20 16:43:19

I think Nigel Farage deserves some sort of acknowledgement for his part in our impending freedom.

He was instrumental in Cameron’s decision to give us the Referendum, following the success of his party in local elections.

Had he and his party not done well , would we have had the Referendum?

I doubt it.

Greta Mon 27-Jan-20 16:51:22

I think Nigel Farage deserves some sort of acknowledgement for his part in our impending freedom.

Not sure if I would have used 'impending' here. I always think that 'impending' means that something unpleasant or unwanted is about to happen.

JenniferEccles Mon 27-Jan-20 16:54:55

You could be right Greta

I guess imminent would have been better !

Labaik Mon 27-Jan-20 17:17:31

But impending is more correct [imo]….

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Jan-20 17:53:44

So true about the gift that keeps on giving Laibak - hundreds of thousands extra now going to charity! Every cloud etc..

vegansrock Mon 27-Jan-20 18:03:12

Yeah £350 million p.w. for the NHS is finally about to happen. Can’t wait.

Labaik Mon 27-Jan-20 23:27:27

If anyone's disappointed that they can't give to the bong fund they can give to this. I'm rather hoping that it's fake news but perhaps any Conservative Party members can enlighten me....

POGS Mon 27-Jan-20 23:43:07

£272. 000 now going to Help For Heroes.

Something good came out of it.

Labaik Tue 28-Jan-20 00:11:07

'The fundraising drive, led by Stand Up 4 Brexit and Tory MP Mark Francois on the GoFundMe website, was cancelled at noon on Monday, with the money raised now being donated to the Help for Heroes military charity.
But Scram News reported that Help for Heroes are nonpolitical and could be inclined to refuse the money similar to how it declined a donation from the far-right organisation the English Defence League in 2013.
It is reported that the campaign did not approach Help for Heroes before making the commitment.
Francois has expressed disappointment that his campaign had failed but said he was still looking forward to celebrating on January 31st.
"The response from the British people has been fantastic and we are deeply grateful to everyone who donated," Francois said.
"However, having made final attempts over the last several days to persuade the House of Commons authorities that Big Ben should chime, we regret to report that we have been unsuccessful and therefore we feel we can no longer ask people to donate.
"We officially closed the fund at noon today."'

MaizieD Tue 28-Jan-20 10:07:05

There is an axiom which says 'politics is the art of the possible'.

This absurd MP has clearly gone into this project without any consideration as to whether or not it is 'possible'. Hundreds of gullible people have contributed to his fundraiser yet it seems he didn't even check to see if his alternative, donating money to the Help for Heroes charity was possible.

If this is a foretaste of what the calibre of our negotiations with the EU and the rest of the world is going to be it is deeply worrying.