Gransnet forums

News & politics

Family die in Spanish swimming pool

(33 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 29-Dec-19 17:05:48

Gabriel Diya, 52, his daughter Comfort Diya, 9, and his son Praise-Emmanuel Diya, 16, died in the pool at Club La Costa World, near Fuengirola.

Police say they are checking claims the young girl got into difficulties and the other two died trying to save her.

NEED FOR FULL INVESTIGATION AND POOL CLOSURE!

There are questions as to how these three people died in the resort pool and why CLC would re-open the pool so soon within barely 48hours after this sad incident and before a full investigation was concluded. The re-opening of the pool is grossly insensitive, disrespectful and shows no regard whatsoever for the deceased and their family members and clearly tampers with the evidence that could have been obtained from the pool.

Clearly a thorough investigation is required given the newspaper reports that:

a) the girl’s swimming cap was found in the pump;

b) the worker who managed to retrieve the bodies reported difficulties in getting out of the pool, describing the effect as being “like swimming in a wild river”.

CLC claimed in a Press Release yesterday that- "The Guardia Civil have carried out a full investigation and gave formal permissions to reopen the pool as they found no concerns relating to the pool or procedures in place".
This is appalling and misleading to the public as Guardia Civil are not qualified to do this, it is not in their remit to do so. Only a full investigation by the right authority can help resolve the many questions and ensure the safety of lives at the resort so that this does not happen to another family.

Apparently, there have been safety concerns raised in the past according to a facebook user by the name Meagan Kelly whose family member witnessed a young boy who almost lost his life at same pool awhile ago. Her facebook post on CLC official facebook page reads. ''Heart breaking news , god love them❤ cannot believe this pool is open again, this pool is not safe and there is no life guards at any time around this pool, we had to plead with CLC to get life guards at the pool when a family member found and had to resuscitate a young boy lying at the bottom of the pool. He spent days in a local hospital. I t took 20mins for a life guard to get from another part of the resort as my niece had to run up to the nearest pool. A lifeguard was put on for two days then he was away again. The pool is too secluded not to have a lifeguard. It may not be a huge pool but it’s dangerous and should be closed.

There is a petition to sign if you could.

www.change.org/p/uk-foreign-office-petition-to-close-clc-pool-and-for-full-investigation-into-death-of-father-9yo-daughter?signed=true

notanan2 Sun 29-Dec-19 23:24:06

It does not suggest that they are willing to cooperate

It also does not suggest that local authorities have a handle on it, or are prioritising it

Grannmarie Sun 29-Dec-19 23:28:30

What a terrible tragedy, my heart goes out to the mother and remaining child. I hope they can get to the truth about what happened to their loved ones.

We stayed in this smart resort in May, in the timeshare townhouses overlooking the small quiet pool in the gardens. We never saw a life guard there, although there was one at the larger family pool beside the bar/diner. This is a huge resort with several pools over a wide area.

I agree with Barmey oldbat, there must be a fault in the pool system.

Lilypops Sun 29-Dec-19 23:32:50

It is a terrible tragedy for all three members to have drowned, we may never know what really happened, where there any other holidaymakers present by the poolside when it happened , We don't know what time it was , it's strange no mention has been made of witnesses,

Luckygirl Sun 29-Dec-19 23:35:11

It is very puzzling as to how such a thing could possibly happen. There does need to be a thorough investigation. It is beyond credence that there was not some problem with the pool.

Eloethan Sun 29-Dec-19 23:35:14

I think it requires proper investigation. I've signed the petition.

BlueBelle Mon 30-Dec-19 22:04:30

So on the news tonight the police have closed the case saying it was a freak accident
Sounds pretty convenient to me not good at all if they have nothing to be afraid of why close the case so quickly

BlueBelle Mon 30-Dec-19 22:07:45

Both the father and son were 6 ft tall and the pool at the deepest was 6ft 4 now that is really really more worrying
The daughter had had swimming lessons and even had one just before coming on holiday The husband used to swim in rivers in a Nigeria
The pool has been reopened