Gransnet forums

News & politics

Danger man Trump strikes again

(486 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 08:33:55

Two days into the New Year and Trump sets the whole of world peace into jeopardy There will be huge repercussions

maddyone Wed 08-Jan-20 18:39:45

Interesting, I wonder what the truth is, are 80 American servicemen and women dead or not? I sincerely hope not.

absent Wed 08-Jan-20 21:57:15

MerylStreep^You can take out a munitions storage. You can take out an empty building.^

Indeed you can, but the posters who used this euphemism are all talking about other human beings.

Fennel Thu 09-Jan-20 11:39:34

Jura - it's always been about oil. And the UK is as oil-greedy as other countries.
A few years ago I read that some new vast oilfields had been found in the USA and thought maybe things would settle down. But they didn't.

Grany Thu 09-Jan-20 16:04:07

A group of mental health professionals have warned Congress it must act urgently to demand Donald Trump undergo an evaluation to determine his continued fitness for office after nearly a week of heightened tensions with Iran.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-mental-health-iran-attack-iraq-doctor-psychiatrist-a9275986.html

lemongrove Thu 09-Jan-20 18:29:56

I really doubt that anyone is dead maddyone in those missile strikes.The Iranians gave plenty of warning to the Iraq government ( their soldiers in the same bases as American/ British etc) so they would have been moved ahead of the strikes.
It allowed Iran to put out fake news to appease the people.

trisher Thu 09-Jan-20 21:14:03

I seem to remember (and I may be wrong) that the very first US deaths in Vietnam were kept very quiet. And there was also something about soldiers being returned in sealed coffins so no-one could see how they had really died. Must Google it.
Any way the US have probably done the Iranians a faavour they have long wanted a clear pathway through Iraq and now it looks like they will get it. Well done Donald!

lemongrove Thu 09-Jan-20 21:23:47

That hasn’t happened yet trisher and I don’t think the Iraqis will push for western troops to leave, it may have been a symbolic vote to please Iran.
Canada are saying they believe the Iranians shot down the ukrainian plane carrying mainly those of Iranian backgrounds.

lemongrove Thu 09-Jan-20 21:25:19

One poor young couple had just married in Tehran and were heading back to Canada.

jura2 Sat 11-Jan-20 16:34:28

The world’s largest arms manufacturers have seen their value rise by nearly £14bn in the wake of the assassination of Qassem Soleimani as the confrontation between the United States and Iran fuels expectations of lucrative new defence equipment orders.

Analysis shows that in the 24 hours after the assassination the stock market value of the world’s nine largest listed arms companies rose by $13bn (£10bn). By the afternoon that increase had risen further to $17.9bn (£13.7bn).

lemongrove Sat 11-Jan-20 16:57:02

After days of denial and trying to bulldoze the crash site, Iran has finally admitted it was them who shot down the airliner.
In the face of the evidence and various countries pushing to be admitted they had no choice but to confess.