Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you or friends, children or grand-children or other loved ones- likely to be filed as terrorist?

(66 Posts)
jura2 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:33:09

Under new Rules instigated by the Government via Priti Patel?

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 18:01:54

Yes, after the last terrorist attack, the rules needed to be re-addressed urgently.

I think any government with sense would have done the same.

MaizieD Wed 22-Jan-20 18:04:12

So they can, Callistomen, but we've had years of experience of protest groups. Have they been infiltrated by any suicide bombers or knife wielding murderers?

vegansrock Wed 22-Jan-20 18:10:18

You could argue that any movement might attract a very small minority of extremists who may take matters into their own hands - Brexit Party supporters for example, there was one who stood on the roof of a train waving a flag and held up thousands of passengers and endangered staff - so should the Brexit Party therefore be seen as a terrorist organisation? Of course not. But following this government’s ideas maybe they should be.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Jan-20 18:17:08

If the Security Services have information on a Brexit Party Member which is substantial then yes they should be under surveillance and if warranted put on the list.

I do think this is "a storm in a teacup" reaction to something intending to keep the UK safe.

The terrorists and criminals modus operandi is constantly evolving, so the Security Services are always playing catch up.

I shall repeat what I posted earlier, it is not denying people free speech or the right to protest.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 18:25:01

I don't have access to that information any longer MaizieD and, if I did, I would not disclose it.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 18:26:31

I think I asked for a link, do you have one please jura?

lucywinter Wed 22-Jan-20 18:33:09

XR would not stop an ambulance getting through. Lies and more lies.

Opal Wed 22-Jan-20 18:54:27

lucywinter a poster on the previous thread on this subject said her son was a doctor in the ambulance! I hope she reads this and comes back on this thread to confirm.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 22-Jan-20 18:56:11

We are not living in a dictatorship YET but we are slowly going this way. This is not about making us safe but stopping free speech and protest. I expect I will be carted off sometime soon as well, I belong to the League Against Cruel Sport and often go out watching on Exmoor. Also a member of then Labour Party. Oh dear no hope for me.

Oopsminty Wed 22-Jan-20 18:58:19

Dictatorship?

I think some posters on here ought to pay a visit to dictatorships to see what it actually means

lucywinter Wed 22-Jan-20 19:00:47

I don't care what any poster comes back to say Opal. Anyone can say anything online. But I know XRers are ordinary decent people who are not out to do harm to anyone.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Jan-20 19:08:44

lucywinter XR admitted to stopping an ambulance and apologised.

Why can people not see this is not about penalising people who stand by their morals and views, but smoking out those individuals who have alternative motives which could endanger lives and the Security of the UK.

vegansrock Wed 22-Jan-20 19:20:41

So the whole group shouldn’t be tarred with a terrorist brush if only one or two hotheaded individuals stray from peaceful protest. Seems totally disproportionate . We should strive to retain the right to peaceful protest without this intimidation.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Jan-20 19:41:02

Vegansrock
I notice you've conveniently forgotten the xr protesters climbing on the roof of a train at Canning Town holding up thousands of good honest folk just trying to get to work.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 19:45:17

vegansrock of course they won't be, although groups can be infiltrated as I said above, for motives other than the intended aims of the group.

These groups' logos were sent by the anti terrorism police to police forces to make them aware of different logos and have been removed from the report now.

vegansrock Wed 22-Jan-20 19:56:58

merylstreep I didn’t forget that, and XR condemned it. A Brexit party supporter did the same thing. Was arrested.

MawB Wed 22-Jan-20 20:04:54

I notice you've conveniently forgotten the xr protesters climbing on the roof of a train at Canning Town holding up thousands of good honest folk just trying to get to work by public transport.
Ironic doesn’t come close hmm

SalsaQueen Wed 22-Jan-20 20:10:03

Jura You're in Switzerland, aren't you?

lucywinter Wed 22-Jan-20 20:30:08

Oh God! Not another XR versus rest-of-the-world thread. hmm

ExperiencedNotOld Wed 22-Jan-20 20:34:21

Jura - I’ve just read on another thread that you’re resident in Switzerland. Pray tell, what have our politics to do with you?

Chewbacca Wed 22-Jan-20 20:36:16

It must be utterly exhausting to live in a perpetual state of high anxiety about all the possibilities- that worries some people. Personally, I would rather that me and my loved ones be investigated by our security forces if that means that our national and international security is increased; if we are able to go about our daily business without wondering whether the bridge we're crossing is safe. Or if the tube station we're waiting in is safe. Or the music venue we're in is safe. If any individual or collective group is checked, surely that's a tiny price to pay if it means that we all get to live without worrying whether we are safe in a public place. Or do you prefer living a life in heightened anxiety? hmm

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Jan-20 20:39:20

Chewbacca totally agree ?

Hetty58 Wed 22-Jan-20 20:40:54

To answer the OP's question - No! (ridiculous).

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 21:17:23

I agree Chewbacca

M0nica Wed 22-Jan-20 22:01:53

Callistomen, you have put your finger on it. It is a danger for any organisation that organises demonstrations and the larger the movement the greater the ease of infiltration. However peaceful ER is, and I have no doubts that it is peaceful. Neverthe less there has been violence and behaviour like that mentioned by Lemongrove at most of its demonstrations. probably initiated by extremists with, ultimately, very different aims.

The danger is not that we ban all dissent, and anyone who really thinks that we do is living in cloud cuckoo land. The danger is that we allow to flourish, without investigation, every populist movement that has what can best be described as a benign aim (global warming, animal protection, organic farming) and ignore the activitists within it, who use the cloak of respectability belonging to the group they belong to, to pursue a separate agenda of disruption and violence for quite separate political ends.