Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Andrew warned not to go to the US because he could be arrested. (Yahoo article)

(161 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 19:58:27

Prince Andrew has provided “zero co-operation” with an FBI request for an interview about Jeffrey Epstein, a US prosecutor said today.

Speaking outside Epstein’s New York mansion, US Attorney Geoffrey Berman said prosecutors and the FBI had contacted the Duke of York's lawyers and asked to speak to him about the disgraced billionaire.

“To date, Prince Andrew has provided zero co-operation,” said Mr Berman.

Commenting on the investigation into Epstein’s sex trafficking charges, he added: “Jeffrey Epstein couldn’t have done what he did without the assistance of others, and I can assure you that the investigation is moving forward.”

He confirmed the investigation is looking into possible “conspirators” of Epstein.

Epstein died in prison in August 2019, and his death was ruled to be a suicide.

Prince Andrew’s relationship with the convicted sex offender has come under renewed scrutiny since he gave an interview to the BBC discussing their friendship.

He was accused of lacking empathy for Epstein’s victims and of failing to show regret over his friendship with the convicted sex offender.

The Queen’s son was pressed by BBC journalist Emily Maitlis over why he stayed in Epstein’s US mansion - despite knowing he had been convicted of sex crimes.

Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who says she was trafficked by Epstein, has claimed she had several sexual encounters with Prince Andrew starting when she was 17. He denies the claims.

She said she danced with Andrew in Tramp nightclub, adding he was “the most hideous dancer I’ve ever seen in my life” and “his sweat was… raining basically everywhere”.

Virginia Giuffre says she was left “horrified and ashamed” after an alleged sexual encounter with Andrew in London in 2001.

Following a backlash to the BBC interview, the Prince withdrew from royal duties in November last year.

Speaking in November, a British QC warned that Prince Andrew could face arrest in the US if he travels there to speak to the FBI.

Baroness Helena Kennedy told the BBC: "I wouldn't be wanting to send him there because I would be very concerned that suddenly he might be arrested and not able to leave the US.

"I would be very anxious about that."

Alexa Sat 08-Feb-20 23:54:05

I had a neighbour with a huge flagpole in nhis back garden that backed on to my garden. He used to hoist horrible flags on all sorts of occasions that I did not want to think about and I was so glad when the house was put up for sale. You can imagine what the views of the rooms on RightMove looked like! May be not so I will tell you the furnishings were showy -off like the flags.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 22:44:41

grin

If all of those who worked in central and local government failed to notice these flags blowing in the wind ten or so times a year, is there any point at all in raising them?
Except for HM?

Iam64 Sat 08-Feb-20 22:30:53

Hopeless aren't we - all this focus on PA's birthday, flag flying for royals and we know nothing.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 22:29:03

Now cast my mind back, yes, we did have a flagpole on the building but I can't remember noticing a flag flying.

Iam64 Sat 08-Feb-20 22:22:21

Callistemon, I was based in various town halls over a number of years. I was vaguely aware that sometimes the Union flag flew, the only time I wondered why it was flying, was when it was half mast. Then we'd all wonder who had died.....

Calendargirl Sat 08-Feb-20 17:01:40

Was the flag flown for Harry and Meghan before they left the RF, or has it never flown for them?

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 15:48:17

Iam64 well, it obviously passed me by for years!

Although I wouldn't be surprised if my colleagues quietly forgot about the tradition grin

wicklowwinnie Sat 08-Feb-20 15:30:36

I didn't realise we rang bells and flew flags for anybody else other than her Majesty. In fact, I think it should only be for her Majesty and I can't imagine why it should be for any of the others.

Eloethan Sat 08-Feb-20 00:14:47

In a modern so-called democracy I really can't understand why flags should be flown to honour the birthdays of various members of the royal family. In the particular case of Andrew, I think it is especially inappropriate.

And now we hear that Andrew has requested his promotion to Admiral be "deferred", presumably until the powers that be find a way to get him out of the mess he's got himself into. Apparently there is "a policy that sees senior royals treated as serving military members". What is this nonsense? Who gets promotion to a job they no longer do?

Iam64 Fri 07-Feb-20 19:00:54

lavender zen, I'd no idea either. If asked, I'd have said I expect for the Queen and probably Prince P but evidently, the 10 are included. Whether this means the flag has been flown for them as a matter of course, or whether its something Council's can do if they want to I don't know. Interesting isn't it.
It certainly seems inappropriate given PA's circumstances, the ones that led to him 'stepping back'

lavenderzen Fri 07-Feb-20 18:52:22

Good heavens I had no idea we did this. Yes, only for the Queen and Prince Phillip.

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 18:42:31

So the bells of Westminster Abbey will ring out for this person who is refusing to provide a witness statement about possible paedophilic and trafficking? Who was BFF with a convicted paedophile? Well yes, given the church’s role in numerous cases of CSE, it all fits nicely doesn’t it?

Anniebach Thu 06-Feb-20 21:09:25

I think only for the queen and Phillip

Iam64 Thu 06-Feb-20 21:02:54

Callistemon, I just consulted Google and found that yes, there are 10 royal birthdays when the flag is flown. The Queen, Prince P, Charles, Andrew, Ann, Edward, William and Kate, Sophie Wessex and Camilla. I think I remembered that correctly. All the papers are now carrying articles on whether that should continue. (especially for PA)

Callistemon Thu 06-Feb-20 20:08:36

I worked for a Government department, Iam64 and if anyone hauled up the flag 10 or more times a year I'm sure we would have noticed. And the flag hauler-upper would have probably complained.

If we did, it would have been a waste of time as no-one noticed in all probability!

Anniebach Thu 06-Feb-20 20:07:43

Is it ? I don’t agree

Chewbacca Thu 06-Feb-20 20:07:24

I think it should be lowered to half mast myself but that's just my opinion.

Iam64 Thu 06-Feb-20 20:05:29

A power imbalance is what leads to exploitation usually - isn't it?

Anniebach Thu 06-Feb-20 20:03:34

Surely exploiting people is wrong regardless of power

Iam64 Thu 06-Feb-20 19:56:18

Callistemon, I'd no idea we flew the flag to celebrate things like PAs birthday but according to the Daily Mail we do. That paper has been printing articles about whether this should happen for PA whose birthday is soon, given the 'scandal' he's embroiled in.

Of course people who attend Church could be expected to uphold Christian values. I believe we should all uphold values that include not exploiting people who aren't as powerful as we are. That would include any adult man and any vulnerable teenager I guess.

Callistemon Thu 06-Feb-20 18:58:29

I can't say I've ever noticed the flag flying for the birthdays of any of those ten members of the RF.

I remember the flag being hauled up at work for some reason or another, but not birthdays
(Perhaps we should have been sent to the Tower for ignoring the rules)

People who regularly attend church could be expected to uphold Christian values.

Iam64 Thu 06-Feb-20 18:52:40

Liverpool Council announced today it won't be flying the Union flag in celebration of PAs birthday. I hope Manchester follows this example.

Brideit, thanks for your contributions to this. I agree with your point about all families producing different characters. So many things combine to influence character or personality development. PA seems to have a sense of entitlement that combines with what seems to be a not very bright intellect to produce a shallow man with a sense of entitlement that outshines his abilities.

Callistemon Thu 06-Feb-20 16:40:22

hmm
A faux pas I think.
And someone may be backtracking soon.

Retiring from public life in ignominious circumstances should mean no recognition.
Anyway, he could be in the USA by then.

Grany Thu 06-Feb-20 16:36:40

Hmm...

Government orders Town Halls to fly Union Jack on Prince Andrew’s 60th birthday on 19 February.

How do YOU think a grateful nation should celebrate this occasion?

Aspen Fri 31-Jan-20 09:15:17

I think the Queen could afford to pay for TV licences of all her over 70 year old subjects