Gransnet forums

News & politics

How will we measure the success of Brexit?

(247 Posts)
vegansrock Fri 31-Jan-20 16:29:02

Well we won’t know the terms of Brexit for another year, but I’m wondering how the marvellous benefits will be measured, and if they don’t happen will people ever accept that it wasn’t a good idea? Based on the promises that were made I can offer the following we should look for as a measure of success:
1. No border in the Irish Sea and no breaking of the GFA
2. £350 m a week for the NHS and the 40 new hospitals, thousands of new nurses
3. We should have parity in the number or quality of trade deals we manage to negotiate plus they should not be fewer or worse than the ones we have already with the EU.
If the above do not happen will anyone admit we have been lied to? Or will they just say it takes time - if so, how long do we have to wait for any benefits?

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:17:29

Oh article here about US farming www.forbes.com/sites/maisieganzler/2018/11/01/europes-move-on-antibiotic-use-in-livestock-leaves-u-s-in-the-dust-again/

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:20:17

A quote from it:
The European Union imports very little U.S. meat, because that market is already effectively closed to US producers due to the EU standards already being higher than those here. An EU ban on hormone-treated beef enacted more than a decade ago essentially killed the market for U.S. cattle. (Ironically, Brexit may give American producers a way in

Calendargirl Sat 01-Feb-20 07:26:50

I think it will be deemed to be working if Boris gets re-elected in five years time.

Tooting29 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:27:33

Measure of success? That the People of the UK are all better off as a result. Improvements in standard of living, a thriving economy, a functional NHS, international security, reducton in poverty. People are tolerant and respectful of their differences.

ladymuck Sat 01-Feb-20 07:28:51

When we are treated with respect instead of contempt by the rest of the world.
I think we lost our identity when we joined the EU. We became just another little province of Brussels.
Now we need to get back our sense of being British and regain some self-respect.

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:30:15

I am actually laughing at how much that food packaging magazine article has missed the point.

But in a way he’s right - the question shouldn’t be ‘are you happy to eat chlorinated chicken’ it should be:

Are you happy to eat meat imported from the US which uses antibiotics & hormones that are banned in the EU and raises chickens in such filthy conditions the US food poisoning rates are significantly higher

I think I’ll be buying veggie burgers in McDonald’s....

Anyway let’s see. Johnson claims he isn’t going to be bullied into anything and that everyone is so desperate to trade with us we won’t need to scrape around for rubbish deals. So US meat should be firmly off the table,

I suspect they’ll do some pretend deal involving chlorine & dump the hormone-antibiotic filled higher-levels-of-hormones stuff on us.

Don’t blame me when you get gangrene! Sensible use of antibiotics by medical staff is almost pointless if they’re being poured into farm animals.

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:32:09

* When we are treated with respect instead of contempt by the rest of the world*

Well if that’s your aim then voting in Johnson and Brexit isn’t a good first step.

A bit like Americans who think voting in Trump will MAGA. hmm

Tooting29 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:33:40

US chicken British public and industry should boycott buying it that would send a big message to US to improve their farming standards

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:35:29

Can I just point out when I mentioned chlorinated chicken I even said AND THE FOOD POISONING THAT GOES WITH IT to highlight that it’s not really about the chlorine.

Anyway now lots of info to show that I don’t feel the need to avoid swimming pools but would prefer to avoid hormones & increasing antibiotic resistance (along with food poisoning - tends to put a dampener on a day).

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 07:42:49

A lot of the British public don’t even understand what the problem with it is Tooting. The tabloids aren’t going to explain.

I have said elsewhere that I wouldn’t mind Brexit if it meant it led to a sort of green local revolution - with Johnson in charge that isn’t going to happen easily, but maybe we can try and push that at a grassroots level.

There is a growing move to re-wild farms, so manage farms in a way that increases, supports wildlife & protects their habitat . Obviously food farmed in this way costs more, but you can often trace animals back to their individual farm. Maybe the best way to stick two fingers up to any lower standard of food production is to move to support these small farmers doing their bit to produce meat ethically.

M0nica Sat 01-Feb-20 07:51:02

Since my decision to vote remain in the referendum was not made on economic considerations, the economic success, or not, of Brexit will leave me unmoved.

MaizieD Sat 01-Feb-20 07:59:09

US chicken British public and industry should boycott buying it

Do you ever read other people's posts, Tooting? The US intends to insist that, to get a deal, the UK agrees not to label the dirty chicken with its country of origin.

You can't boycott US chicken without this information .

Also, poor people (of which there is a rapidly growing number in the UK) don't have much of a choice. They have to buy the cheapest food they can get. So, dirty chicken for them, then...

Davidhs Sat 01-Feb-20 08:04:19

Referring back to the OP. There WILL be a border down the Irish Sea, passports and goods will be checked, having said that there will be agreements covering many products, particularly agricultural. It is in Ireland’s interest to get agreement quickly, their beef and dairy industries are highly geared to the UK.

As for food imports from other countries, the UK has said loud and clear there will be no relaxation on our welfare or environmental standards. Fisheries are uncertain, the UK will regain control of our waters and allocate permits to fish. Don’t expect many more UK boats, many are crewed now by migrants, the work is too hard for UK workers.

Exports to the EU will be under pressure, there will be losers.
Success or failure will be judged at the next election when most deals will have been done

Hetty58 Sat 01-Feb-20 08:17:14

As a vegetarian (for 50 years) almost vegan - but I do love honey - I just can't get my head around it. Why would poor people have to eat chicken - dirty or not? People have a choice. 'Clean' chicken just can't exist, can it?

I can't foresee people eating much meat in the future anyway (unless lab grown - that actually would be 'clean') as it won't be sustainable.

MaizieD Sat 01-Feb-20 08:22:18

As for food imports from other countries, the UK has said loud and clear there will be no relaxation on our welfare or environmental standards.

Good god, David! You believe them?

Led by a PM who couldn't lie straight in bed, ministers making contradictory statements, ministers virtually forbidden to speak to the press, a declared intention of pursuing trade deals in secret with no parliamentary scrutiny (because Johnson's stooge majority voted to gag themselves)... Desperate to make fast deals because all our current 700+ EU ones fall in 11 months time so no time for standing by principles (which the tories don't possess anyway)

And you believe them? [Shakes head in utter disbelief]

MaizieD Sat 01-Feb-20 08:26:19

Have you got your head round the reason for not wanting chlorinated chicken yet, Hetty?

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 08:26:41

If Trump says we have to accept shite food in exchange for a trade deal my money is on shite food.

Oldwoman70 Sat 01-Feb-20 08:31:00

Listening to interviews on the radio this morning and one person said it seems there are people who would rather see UK fail than see Brexit succeed.

quizqueen Sat 01-Feb-20 08:33:03

Success will be when no one even remembers why we were in the EU and we are just another independent country making all our own decisions-good and bad. It was never about whether people will benefit financially.

SirChenjin Sat 01-Feb-20 08:34:23

Really? I thought we’re were to benefit to the tune of £350 million per week.

MaizieD Sat 01-Feb-20 08:34:25

Mine too, Nezumi ?

Thank heavens I have a good local butcher who knows exactly where their meat comes from and that my DP & I are reasonably comfortably off and not dependent on cheap food.

Kandinsky Sat 01-Feb-20 08:35:18

Impossible to answer op as ‘success’ means different things to different people.
Stopping freedom of movement will be success enough for many leave voters, whereas nothing about brexit will please some remainers.
I’m just happy we’ve finally left! wine expecting ups & downs in the coming years of course, but that would have happened anyway.

Nezumi65 Sat 01-Feb-20 08:37:46

And removing freedom of movement is one of the biggest losses to many remainers.

growstuff Sat 01-Feb-20 08:53:30

quizqueen If that is really your criterion for success, you're setting yourself for failure.

growstuff Sat 01-Feb-20 08:58:06

Oldwoman But that's exactly the argument that those who support Brexit will use. Blaming others seems to be written into their DNA. Even now, they don't seem to accept responsibility. The ball really is in their court now. There aren't any excuses.