Gransnet forums

News & politics

My goodness - that was a truly inspiring speech just now from Boris! ‘UnLeashing Britain’s Potential’.

(128 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 03-Feb-20 11:31:04

Just wow!

Nezumi65 Thu 06-Feb-20 06:48:40

More of what we have to look forward to (a tweet thread - and warning it is upsetting). Something has certainly been unleashed twitter.com/tanyalorettadee/status/1224254390481178624?s=21

vegansrock Thu 06-Feb-20 06:34:53

“We have a marvellous opportunity to unite the country and move forward together” says B. johnson before dividing the journalists in two groups and excluding those who do not support the government.
Spot the irony/ hot air/ lies

ClareAB Thu 06-Feb-20 05:56:56

Seeing the devastation this hideous party have been responsible for, I now look at what they do rather than what they say.

varian Thu 06-Feb-20 02:18:31

This is what we have to look forward to according to ths Bank of England - more austdrity, higher taxes or a £12 billion hole in the public finances.

I do not find that forecast inspiring.

www.ft.com/content/27b81994-4690-11ea-aeb3-955839e064412

growstuff Wed 05-Feb-20 18:44:51

Meanwhile, give a speech with absolutely no substance, but has some big words and a lecture about history - that'll persuade them you're clever and know what you're doing. They won't even notice the lies.

growstuff Wed 05-Feb-20 18:42:19

It's easy to know what to do. The so-called plebs are needed for their votes. As soon as they realise they've been duped, you take away any power they have to resist.

patcaf Wed 05-Feb-20 15:50:34

Johnson was a remainer until 2016. just look back at what he said prior to that. He only took on the 'leaver' label as he thought it would be a way into being PM.

SirChenjin Wed 05-Feb-20 15:48:15

More whataboutery...

I didn’t ask you if you were concerned about what might have happened if Labour had got in. Can you answer my actual question?

Urmstongran Wed 05-Feb-20 15:45:42

Aren’t you concerned by this Urm? After all that we witnessed yesterday?? Surely even the most ardent Brexit supporter must feel a level of disquiet at the behaviour of No 10

Actually ‘no’ SirChenjin, when I look at the alternative! Corbyn and his successor? NOOOOO!!

It's a sad indictment of the intelligence of the UK populace that they can't tell the difference between the leader of Her Majesty's Government and a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing

It must be so frustrating MaizieD to let the plebs have a vote! What can you do eh?

?

SirChenjin Wed 05-Feb-20 11:35:03

One too many relishes there!

SirChenjin Wed 05-Feb-20 11:34:23

Oh definitely - Boris is simply the good natured comedian at the front, sticking two fingers up to EU ‘authority’ and giving us all something to laugh with/at (depending on your POV) as facts and opinions become accepted by many as equal in status. The real powerhouse is Cummings who’s playing the sort of strategic games he appears to relish in his never ending quest to get one over on the establishment, whatever and wherever that might be. Anyone relishing the dramas and the beasting of Labour should really stop and think for minute - is this type of control really good politics?

trisher Wed 05-Feb-20 11:17:15

Boris seems to get more popular the less we see of him. I see Dominic Cummings behind everything he does

SirChenjin Wed 05-Feb-20 11:10:35

+Have you seen Boris’ popularity ratings this morning? Labour can only dream of such endorsement!*

Aren’t you concerned by this Urm? After all that we witnessed yesterday?? Surely even the most ardent Brexit supporter must feel a level of disquiet at the behaviour of No 10.

MaizieD Wed 05-Feb-20 11:04:43

It's a sad indictment of the intelligence of the UK populace that they can't tell the difference between the leader of Her Majesty's Government and a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 05-Feb-20 10:59:24

I can believe his popularity is rising UG. It tends to when you tell people what they want to hear in a way they want to hear it.

That does not mean they will find what he does acceptable but by then everything will have changed and I sincerely doubt for the better. Anyway, read the information and let us know how Free Ports can be seen as a good thing for the many, not the few smile

Urmstongran Wed 05-Feb-20 10:35:48

*rushed post
GGmk3
?
More haste, less speed!

Urmstongran Wed 05-Feb-20 10:35:04

Sorry GG13 I didn’t mean to be rude and ignore your link. In a rush to get ready to go out but I promise to read it this evening - and comment!
?

Urmstongran Wed 05-Feb-20 10:33:35

Have you seen Boris’ popularity ratings this morning? Labour can only dream of such endorsement!

GracesGranMK3 Wed 05-Feb-20 10:26:00

I'm not sure if this link was added on here but I thought those extolling the virtues of freeports might find it interesting. It includes a video which explains how freeports work. It's not in English but there are subtitles.

If you are going to quote freeports please read and watch. I doubt anyone has any problem with you then putting forward a counter-argument but if you ignore facts you are not only insulting the intelligence of those arguing against them, you end up insulting your own too. Now that doesn't bother me but it seems to bother some of you when it's pointed out and really leaves a gaping hole in any discussion beyond "I like this because it backs up what I already believe".

M0nica Tue 04-Feb-20 23:12:31

JenniferEccles if the offered deal is not a good one for us and if they won’t budge, we will leave at the end of the year with no deal. It’s the only way to do business isn’t it?

Actually it is a very bad way to do business. Compromise is always the best way to do business. Deals are struck by people reaching agreement. This why business is, (or perhaps was) done on a handshake. You make a deal and shake on it. Intransigence and refusing to deal is the primrose path to bankruptcy.

Nezumi65 Tue 04-Feb-20 21:20:33

Quite SirChenjin - it was mildly amusing ten years ago. It’s embarrassing now.

SirChenjin Tue 04-Feb-20 21:07:30

Not this politician - his public speaking leaves a lot to be desired. Far too much mumbling, meaningless soundbite a, arm waving, looking at the ceiling for inspiration and a loose grasp of the facts in front of him to be taken seriously.

Happygirl79 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:52:01

Very inspirational
Lets hope he can walk the walk Here's hoping.
Politicians are renowned for their public speaking
Time will tell

Nezumi65 Tue 04-Feb-20 19:40:44

It really is not the only way to do business JE.

Dinahmo Tue 04-Feb-20 17:33:34

I've just watched the whole speech and rather boring it was too. He waffled, spoke in platitudes and only took questions from journalists whom he might have believed to be supportive.

Trisher mentioned above his reference to the 1707 Act of Union as if he thought that would inspire his listeners. Then towards the end he told the audience that they should forget about that Act because it was history.

He was also 16 minutes late in arriving.