Gransnet forums

News & politics

Saving the NHS one step at a time?

(7 Posts)
tanith Tue 04-Feb-20 15:16:53

Thats good news for sure well done to them.

janipat Tue 04-Feb-20 14:00:41

Good news indeed! Let's hope this is the first of many.

MaizieD there are many police officers who although they belong to the federation say they'd never strike, just a shame it's illegal for them to do so anyway as that's why they have no bargaining power. Imagine if the lot of them threatened to strike........ including the protection officers for MPs and the PM wink

MaizieD Tue 04-Feb-20 12:36:15

It doesn't even have to be a strike. If the numbers of union members are high enough just the 'threat' of a strike and s sufficient.
I used to find it hard when people wouldn't join the union because they 'didn't believe in striking'. The higher the membership the less need to actually strike...

But well done the support staff of St Mary's.

MerylStreep Tue 04-Feb-20 12:28:14

Absolutely wonderful news ?????
As my father taught me when I started work: strike is the only weapon the working man has.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Feb-20 12:25:41

Good for them.

Blinko Tue 04-Feb-20 12:14:34

Excellent! Good for them. Though if the practice becomes too widespread, I expect Boris and cronies will bring in anti strike legislation...

Watch this space.

trisher Tue 04-Feb-20 12:05:40

After unionising and striking staff at St Mary's Hospital London will see the end of privatisation and when the contract ends very soon they will become NHS employees with all the accompanying rights. These are cleaners, porters and other workers who were in many cases on minimum wage. Is this the way forward for the NHS? Three cheers for them!!!
www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/30/cleaners-win-big-pay-rise-as-nhs-trust-drops-outsourcing-deal