Gransnet forums

News & politics

Deported to Jamaica before Windrush report

(261 Posts)
trisher Mon 10-Feb-20 18:10:28

50 people are being deported to Jamaica tomorrow, before the Windrush report is even published. Please sign to give them a chance to stay in the country many of them have grown up in
chng.it/Hs5vxhMtcv

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 16:08:15

smile Good times.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 21:09:16

smile
That song reminds me of happy times.

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 20:57:40

@MissAdventure

Don't you walk thru my words, you got to show some respect,
don't you walk thru my words, cause you aint heard me out yet. wink

MissAdventure Fri 21-Feb-20 20:51:47

I don't like reggae, yeah.
I love it!

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 20:36:16

...I love it!

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 20:36:05

I don't like Jamaica...

trisher Sun 16-Feb-20 13:11:24

Iae proper nouns used as descriptions need a capital letter Capitalize words derived from proper nouns. For example:
I like English, but math is my favorite subject. (English is capitalized because it is derived from the proper noun England, while math is not capitalized because it is not derived from a proper noun.)
Just thinking I would love a holiday if the UK would pay to send me there and Jamaica pay for me to be sent back I wouldn't mind paying for a posh hotel!!

3nanny6 Sun 16-Feb-20 12:08:51

Maybe as Impartialandeducated has stated perhaps Trisher would be a help to those Jamaicans being repatriated, although the Jamaican High Commissioner may look upon her as being someone quite troubled and decide to deport her back to U.K.

3nanny6 Sun 16-Feb-20 12:01:01

Trisher ; I have noticed on one of your websites about deportees there are two U.K brothers that have been living in Jamaica after overstaying in the country for 20 years.

I think they have had their fair share of trouble over there and now that they have finally been caught up with Jamaica is deporting them back to their country of birth the |U.K.
I do hope they are met with a warm welcome from all those jumping up and down and wanting justice for all when they arrive on British soil.

Impartialandeducated Sun 16-Feb-20 11:55:21

Gagajo (pedantically refraining from the use of a capital letter in the middle of avword), congratulations on your concentration on aesthetics rather than substance. By the way, when I was at school, Jamaican was an adjective.

GagaJo Sat 15-Feb-20 20:02:20

I was being over generous trisher. I had it down as D-. Or in 2020 GCSE speak, 3/9

Greymar Sat 15-Feb-20 19:59:38

Impartial, an ill informed and rude post.

trisher Sat 15-Feb-20 19:58:41

Gagajo grin
I was just wondering how Iae could state I would "ameliorate Jamaican diversity" not knowing what my ethnic origins are (and quite possibly what ameliorate means).
Still I suppose it's an "E" for. effort.

GagaJo Sat 15-Feb-20 19:51:56

Oh, and use the ellipsis correctly.

GagaJo Sat 15-Feb-20 19:51:21

IAE, if you're going for formal and intimidating, try ensuring you capitalise proper nouns and correctly demarcate your sentences.

Impartialandeducated Sat 15-Feb-20 19:39:47

Trisherr let's beatify all these jamaican criminals that you hold in such high regard. I fail to understand your assiduous downcrying of the UK, while recognising no conventions of border, nationality and now failing to accept UK law, even when sponsored by our gracious opposition. I have a possible solution... you could join your comrades on the repatriation planes, thus reducing the criminality ratio and at the same time ameliorating jamaican diversity, a phenomenon we must always strive for!!!!

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 17:56:39

Each case is different and should be carefully reviewed.

I would not sat that deportation should never happen in any circumstances, but there should not be a knee jerk move to mass deportations to appease the tabloids.

3nanny6 Sat 15-Feb-20 17:40:47

Newnanny ; that is excellent post. I do agree with all your post.

I myself cannot bring myself to agree about corporal punishment though as that is the final step and even though convicted murderers have done that somehow it makes us also go back to being so uncivilised. Also I do not agree we
should go back to hanging as sometimes the legal system makes mistakes and the wrong person is hung.

I always remember hearing about "Christie" the man who murdered many woman before he was caught. It was a complete miscarriage of justice for Timothy Evans to be hung for the murder of his wife and young child when in fact Christie had done it. The truth eventually came out sadly to late for Evans who went to the gallows protesting his innocence.

3nanny6 Sat 15-Feb-20 17:28:05

Callistemon ; that is a sad but such a good post and the young boy should be allowed to remain in U.K.

Lets hope the petition can help his case.

3nanny6 Sat 15-Feb-20 17:24:28

Trisher : I have said that I do not disagree with what you are talking about.
I also understand that the man you pointed out has also given music lessons. As far as I know he has not yet been repatriated/deported so with the right legal help he may have his case looked at again.
I will say again Trisher "do not shoot the messenger"
What comments have you got to make on the rest of my post? What about the Yardies of the late 80's that indeed were part of the reason the new immigration laws were brought in. Do you think it was a good thing for the U.K. police officer to be killed by the London Yardie gang?

At the beginning of this thread I put in a post about 2 friends of mine that were deported back to Jamaica for no other reason than they were overstayers they had done no crimes and they were given no chances just taken to immigration holding centres and then boarded onto a charter flight. Did I agree with that ? the answer is No the only thing is that is British law so hopefully you can be the one to change it.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 16:52:30

Correction: he is 18 and there is a legal challenge so is still here for the time being.
He wants to train to be a carpenter.
We need skilled tradesmen.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 16:50:06

A young boy was trafficked here from Albania age 15. He was taken into foster care, is doing well, attending 6th form college but will be deported when he is 18.

There is a petition to try to prevent young trafficked people being deported when they reach 18.
They have committed no crimes.

Greymar Sat 15-Feb-20 16:40:58

OK, thanks for that reasoned information.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 16:38:40

Greymar should a violent psychopath have ever been released anyway?

I agree, some cases should be looked at more closely.

It wasn't just one theft of a car, however, and it was extremely dangerous driving which might well have resulted in deaths. One has to question whether police chases make the dangerous drivers even more reckless.
I think that young man should have had his case investigated more closely as do others (not the ones we are discussing) who have committed no crime at all.
He was not in the latest batch of deportees btw.

trisher Sat 15-Feb-20 16:32:47

3nanny6 www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-being-sent-jamaica-after-13949655
It is unlikely that a high level persistent criminal would have been allowed to run music lessons for young people.