Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cabinet reshuffle

(190 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 13-Feb-20 11:57:52

Sajid Javid has just resigned as Chancellor!

POGS Fri 14-Feb-20 21:33:32

I watched Adam Bolton this morning and it I don't think he expected the SPAD to say nice things about Rishi Sunak but he stood up for him and you could tell it was genuinely meant.

Urmstongran Fri 14-Feb-20 21:57:32

Yes, POGS he seemed a really decent sort.

Labaik Fri 14-Feb-20 23:01:51

'Back in the day when Blair was PM, were all you Labour lot complaining that Campbell was wielding too much power or is the criticism only for the Tories!'
...this was discussed on Ch4 News tonight and one man [I'm afraid I didn't catch his name but I believe he had worked for the Conservative Party] said that what Cummings is doing goes way beyond anything that Campbell did and is far more dangerous. If I have time I'll try to rewatch it on catchup and find out who he is.

Daisymae Sat 15-Feb-20 08:09:50

This is looking like a puppet cabinet. Johnson getting them to chant the numbers of nurses etc they are going to have. Especially when we know that is complete fiction. We have an impulsive, reckless man leading the country off a cliff and there's nothing to stop him. Nothing.

Curlywhirly Sat 15-Feb-20 08:27:48

Daisymae I too was bemused by the spectacle of fully grown men (and a few token women) chanting like school children with their teacher - very childish! The Cabinet must have been squirming in their seats, especially as they knew it was being televised - how humiliating and embarassing.

Urmstongran Sat 15-Feb-20 08:32:32

I think it was just silly humour on the first day of term - for the cameras of course - in the knowledge that Joe Public was watching so ‘here’s a reminder’ of what’s going to be delivered. Silly? Yes. Embarrassing for them? Yes probably. Another chance to give a few sound bites? Definitely.
?

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 09:01:10

Now repeat after me, I am the PM, I lie through my teeth & make policies up on the hoof, & I need you to repeat the lies verbatim. Now repeat after me or you're out! The sycophants repeat 50, 000 nurses, 20,000 Police and so on & on & on!

It wasn't funny and it wasn't true! It was thoroughly cringeworthy!

MaizieD Sat 15-Feb-20 09:09:26

here’s a reminder’ of what’s going to be delivered.

But it's not going to be delivered, is it,*Ug*?

Don't you ever feel slightly embarrassed by cheer leading all the palpable lies.

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 09:25:52

Our PM is treating the public like fools.

JenniferEccles Sat 15-Feb-20 09:40:51

I tell you what: why don’t we all just have a break from ‘Boris bashing ‘and give him a chance to deliver on his promises?

Will he? I don’t know - none of us know, but I am prepared to give him a chance.

I am so pleased I don’t have such a pessimistic outlook on the situation here as so many appear to have.

Dinahmo Sat 15-Feb-20 10:08:38

if you'd like a good laugh this morning - Marina Hyde in the Guardian on Dominic Cummings.

Urmstongran Sat 15-Feb-20 10:39:07

Nope, not embarrassed at all MaizieD. I gave Boris my vote as he was the only one promising to ‘Get Brexit Done’. I think he’ll deliver on quite a bit actually as he’ll want to keep all the Northern votes he’s been ‘loaned’.

Watch & wait I suppose.

Labaik Sat 15-Feb-20 12:41:15

'I tell you what: why don’t we all just have a break from ‘Boris bashing ‘and give him a chance to deliver on his promises?'
...and what, pray tell, if one doesn't agree with some of what he has 'promised'? Not only that but he's on record as promising his Chancellor would be around for quite a while and now look what's happened. Not very good on promises is Johnson. So, if he doesn't give you what you want, will you keep quiet?

suziewoozie Sat 15-Feb-20 14:17:13

Marina Hyde re our esteemed new AG
“Braverman in particular is mesmerically dim, with a classic C4 news interview with the AG suggesting not only that she could be outperformed at the Dispatch Box but that she could be outperformed by the Dispatch Box. Or indeed any other item of furniture”
???’

And ‘Liz Truss who’d lose a battle of wits with an emoji is the longest serving cabinet minister’

vegansrock Sat 15-Feb-20 15:38:51

Rather telling that the greatest support for the billions being spent on HS2 is from London as it will boost London’s economy much more than anywhere north of Birmingham. Still there will be more money for rail replacement busses.

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 18:00:23

If we suddenly have loadsamoney because of brexit, why has our new Chancellor told all government departments to cut their budgets by 5%?

Haven't we been told we are entering a new golden age and austerity is over?

vegansrock Sat 15-Feb-20 18:03:44

I think our new chancellor is a CHINO - chancellor in name only- it’s Dom that is our new chancellor.

Greta Sat 15-Feb-20 18:14:32

Well, varian, "entering a new golden age" and "austerity is over" are just two more soundbites. We need something to replace "Get Brexit Done".

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 18:14:57

I did think that Rashi (who is an intelligent man) looked particularly embarassed at having to chant the playschool responses to BJ's questions to his vegetables cabinet.

suziewoozie Sat 15-Feb-20 18:18:11

Really varian? I thought he just looked like the rest of the grinning parts

varian Sat 15-Feb-20 18:26:31

Sad little grinning parts, all of them.

Bring on Spitting Image.

Daisymae Sat 15-Feb-20 18:31:58

There's not 50000 new nurses never was, it's just a sound bite. 20000 are ones that they think will not leave.......

suziewoozie Sat 15-Feb-20 18:52:10

Can you imagine them chanting ‘50000 new nurses 19000 of whom are actually retained, 20000 police officers to replace the ones we cut 40 new hospitals of which most are just a gleam in a well paid consultants eye’ ? Nah - me neither. As for the buses they could have all sung ‘the wheels on the bus are falling off, falling off, falling off ....’

MerylStreep Sat 15-Feb-20 19:26:15

Please let the Boris Bashers have their fun. Be kind, it can't be much fun living with all this angst, anger, bitterness when everything they predicted 3 + years ago hasn't come to pass.
Show some compassion and laugh ? at all these new predictions in the privacy of your own home.

growstuff Sat 15-Feb-20 19:55:18

So glad you think it's a laughing matter MerylStreep. What you and your ilk don't seem to accept is that some of us have actually grown up. Enjoy you naivety!