Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yorkshire Tea boycott

(169 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-Feb-20 09:03:06

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard from so called ”Left Wingers” all over the Internet they are calling for a boycott of Yorkshire Tea after the Chancellor Rishi Sunak was pictured making a pot of tea using Yorkshire Tea Bags.

The political left should have better things to worry about......electing a new leader, forming a front bench to be a credible opposition to the Government and sorting out some policies for a start

Oopsminty Tue 25-Feb-20 10:30:06

But it's not very pleasant for the people at Yorkshire Tea, is it?

Or does that not matter?

Some of the messages are quite vile

But I suppose it's OK to some people

suziewoozie Tue 25-Feb-20 10:31:26

I’m listening to the story on LBC at the moment - I’ll try and find a link.

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:32:49

No, that can't be right Davidh, it's 'Yorkshire tea for Yorkshire water' isn't it?

suziewoozie Tue 25-Feb-20 10:34:13

It’s not OK for anyone to abuse Yorkshire Tea but then look at the level of abuse and vile comments thrown around on GN to DA, MM, TB As a forum we’ve nothing to feel proud about.

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 10:34:40

Twitter is a vile place Oops and none of the vile or abusive messages on any of the millions of threads on there are acceptable - no-one has said they are. The sooner Twitter and the other social media platforms are forced to address this the better imo.

maddyone it’s got to be chocolate hobnobs. A good sturdy biscuit that doesn’t disintegrate when you dunk it with the lovely melted chocolate on it. Delicious.

varian Tue 25-Feb-20 10:35:50

Yorkshire Tea is one brand which is still available as loose tea, not just tea bags. We prefer proper tea, made with loose leaves in a teapot. Dangling a teabag in a cup of hot water is just not the same.

If we're going to be political, how about this - "why do communists only use tea bags? - because proper tea is theft". Boom, boom.

Oopsminty Tue 25-Feb-20 10:36:54

* pointing out that when Jeremy Corbyn posted a similar picture in 2017 they had a similar response from right wingers.*

Can we have some evidence of this please?

Because I can't find any

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 10:37:24

I don’t care if they’re left, right wing, or no wing at all, it’s all fuss over nothing. It’s tea, for goodness sake.
I think I’ll go and make a cup. brew

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:38:24

It's not about abusing Yorkshire tea suziewoozie it's about whether or not the political left have better things to do.

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 10:38:35

Oh yes SirChenin, I agree, Chocolate Hobnobs. Yum

varian Tue 25-Feb-20 10:38:38

Storm in a teacup.

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 10:39:39

Exactly maddy.

Shock, horror - idiots tweet on Twitter. Nothing new there then.

Oopsminty Tue 25-Feb-20 10:40:33

Storm in a teacup.

I loved that song

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:40:53

Well I am happy to laugh at my faux outrage and obviously I should have fully researched before my OP.

I think the only biscuit for dunking is Rich Tea all though all the GC outvote me as for them I have to buy the caramelised oblong biscuits in Aldi which are copycats of the posh ones that come individually wrapped in coffee-tea shops grin

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 10:40:53

Smileless2012 - it’s already been explained. The political left had nothing to do with this Twitter storm.

GagaJo Tue 25-Feb-20 10:42:32

What a load of rubbish. This left-winger has a STASH of Yorkshire tea which she is DEFINITELY am not giving up.

Stop trying to stoke controversy where there is none.

suziewoozie Tue 25-Feb-20 10:43:20

Or as GG had the evenhandedness to imply, whether the political right had. There is absolutely nothing to choose between all political tweeters in terms of the depths they achieve ( and the heights with the good ones).

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:43:21

Sorry Sirchengin whilst as far as I am aware no MPs have waded in, on checking some of the "twitter bios" of those posting outrage they all have Labour supporter in their profile.

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:44:34

Yes I realise that SirChenjin I was merely pointing out to suziewoozie that it wasn't about "abusing Yorkshire tea".

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Feb-20 10:46:00

I'm another loose leaf tea person... and must be a leftie as Yorkshire Tea is too strong and punchy for me! Lol.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:46:30

Not sure that SM has had a good impact on politics whoever you support. (I have just turned on This Morning and it is being discussed) grin

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 10:47:14

Well, if they have ‘Labour supporter’ on their Twitter bio it must be true wink

I’m glad we can agree that it’s got nothing to do with the political left and that it’s nothing more than nonsense on Twitter.

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 10:49:19

I know that Smileless - I was merely pointing out it’s nothing to do with the political left, it’s simply noise on Twitter than can come from any number of sources.

suziewoozie Tue 25-Feb-20 10:50:23

GG I wonder these days what does have a good influence on politics? I’m not disagreeing with you but making the point that the political landscape and much within it is toxic. And GN is a microcosm of this so we’ve no laurels to rest on.

gillybob Tue 25-Feb-20 10:50:28

youtu.be/8cipMoGKXGE

I love Yorkshire Tea and wouldn’t buy anything else . I also love Sean Bean so its a win win situation smile