Gransnet forums

News & politics

First business casualty of Coronavirus?

(33 Posts)
Chewbacca Thu 05-Mar-20 09:51:36

Collapsed Flybe tells passengers not to travel to airports

I saw that Flybe, who has been struggling for some time to survive, has today collapsed, 2000 people to lose their jobs and all flights suspended. We haven't had as many confirmed Coronavirus incidents as other countries and yet, already, it's impacted on an airline. Wonder how many more this will be the final straw for in an already difficult market?

EllanVannin Fri 06-Mar-20 10:13:10

That's a sad situation, annsixty and one which will probably echo many others as well.

notanan2 Fri 06-Mar-20 11:42:40

FlyBe collapsing was a long way coming. Its been in the local press well before corona (but maybe thays because our airport has a lot of flybe routes so its relevant to local employment)

notanan2 Fri 06-Mar-20 11:47:17

Managers of collapsed big businesses also go on a "blame" offensive as they are job hunting their next 3 figure salary job and need to deflect blame.

It happens every time a business model fails. A chain that ran ITSELF into the ground recently (it really did! They f-ed over everyone with brand loyalty" closed its local branch and its 3figure regional manager has gone on the attack. Blaming locals, the council, neighbouring businesses..
He ruined it.
But he is also now job hunting.
So..

POGS Fri 06-Mar-20 19:30:46

There is another issue that has been mentioned but not given enough coverage in my opinion.

For airlines to take over the mantle of Flybe there are airports who have runways that are simply too short for most planes to take off and land.

If the United Kingdom wishes to keep connectivity using local and short haul flights which are a necessity for domestic flight travel between the 4 UK nations and the islands then we must be prepared to stop refusing planning permission and extend the runways at airports such as Southampton.

Sadly there are many countries who have Airlines in financial trouble and COVID 19 will probably put so much stress on their ability to make a profit many may well go under as it is obvious any restrictions / loss of bookings/tourism dropping off results in a Financial Crisis to Airlines and businesses in general.

vazivi Wed 29-Apr-20 09:17:36

The coronavirus has affected all spheres of activity, and it’s scary. I also have my own business, and I decided to do a test and analysis of possible problems to better plan for possible loss reduction with PCI compliance cost. All I have to do is find a company that can give me that kind of help and find out the prices.

Fran3669 Wed 29-Apr-20 09:56:15

vazivi I’m also a business owner and this has completely changed the way I work and interact with my clients.

I’ve sent you a PM as I may be able to put you in contact with a company who can help you.

ruffa Wed 29-Apr-20 10:57:09

vazivi, You can contact www.trustnetinc.com/pci-compliance-cost/