Gransnet forums

News & politics

Elderly?

(70 Posts)
Lucca Sat 07-Mar-20 18:45:07

Saw this somewhere and thought it amusing
“Good to see the government describing over 60s as elderly and vulnerable to corona virus ; when it comes to state pension we are young and fit enough to work until 66+”

Kim19 Sun 08-Mar-20 11:10:02

easybee, ?

CaroleAnne Sun 08-Mar-20 12:29:14

I am 75 yrs of age and my husband is almost 80yrs and neither of us consider ourselves elderly. We are fortunate to have good health, live a full life and look after each other well.
My husband who is a professional man is still writing learned papers.
I always say that if you have good health therein lies your wealth.

cupaffull Sun 08-Mar-20 12:30:58

Hear hear eazybee
'Elderly is someone who is five years older than me.'
Don't recognise myself in the mirror sometimes, I suspect thru failing eyesight tho.grin
I'd help but guess they wouldn't let me due to being 66.
Ex nurse and only just got my pension too and still PT working outside the NHS. Happy to do so as the country has given me a lot.

25Avalon Sun 08-Mar-20 12:34:19

It doesn't matter how fit or well you feel the fact is that people over 60, over 70 and over 80 are more susceptible to be seriously ill or even die from the Coronavirus. Once over 60 the immune system is not so good. Just look at the percentages of people who have died from the virus and the age groups. Anyone over 60 is in more danger than a younger person unless that person has underlying health problems.

Nonnie Sun 08-Mar-20 12:34:35

Today they said that those older than mid 50s will be more vulnerable to the virus. Apparently as we age our immune system is less efficient and, of course, we are more likely to have other health issues when older.

25Avalon Sun 08-Mar-20 12:36:37

I have also read that anyone brought back out of retirement to help the NHS will not have face to face contact with patients. They will help give information and advice on 111 for example.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Mar-20 12:37:35

Moggycuddler, I'm afraid that you'll be officially 'geriatric' at the grand old age of 65!

Eureka366 Sun 08-Mar-20 13:26:39

So what's new?

magshard20 Sun 08-Mar-20 13:32:39

As usual the government want something for nothing.......I worked in admin in the NHS for over 25+ years, wanted to go back part time after I took retirement, they told me it wouldn't be possible, even though it is a practice widely used even to this day. So I'm sorry I won't be volunteering to help out the NHS in this crisis.......the government gives us nothing so why should we pander to their thoughts and needs?

sharon103 Sun 08-Mar-20 13:34:57

My thoughts exactly. Lucca.

Caro57 Sun 08-Mar-20 13:39:47

Equally why are the Government talking of getting in retired NHS employees - by definition most will be in the more vulnerable categories

growstuff Sun 08-Mar-20 13:53:21

yaiyai Could you give some examples please? Pension Credit is much more generous than working age benefits.

Jue1 Sun 08-Mar-20 14:12:11

I am 65 and was shocked to be called elderly..
Anyone else?
?

Musicgirl Sun 08-Mar-20 14:34:10

At 55, l am a little below the "elderly" group but on the cusp. I do have asthma severe enough to need a long acting reliever as part of my daily preventative inhaler. I have realised that l would be vulnerable if l were to catch it. However, l refuse to give in to panic and am carrying on as normal.

rafichagran Sun 08-Mar-20 14:42:24

62 here, work in a pressurised environment. I have got a occ pen, but need to work to have a decent standard of living.
I also collect and look after my Grandson once s week to help help his Mother out financially.
I am not elderly and do not like to be called that, I am in good health apart from having sciattica.
I too have to wait until 66 and 6 months to collect my state pension. Even so I am one of the lucky ones, mortgage, car, and credit cards paid off. I am also in greater London where my partner and I benefit from a free bus and train pass. I never forget that I am fortunate, and some people who have worked as hard as me are not in such a good position as they had no works pension scheme.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 08-Mar-20 14:44:02

Elderly is a state of mind!! Not sure when I will be elderly, I'm 75 now. Maybe give or take another 5 years or so?

hapgran Sun 08-Mar-20 17:21:08

I did hear on the radio that they will only recall health workers who retired in the last year or two, not years or decades ago- that would be counter-productive! And it's all very well them keep saying that the elderly are the most vulnerable as if that's ok then!!

MamaCaz Sun 08-Mar-20 17:46:47

I'm not sure that we get to choose whether or not we are 'elderly' - it is all in the eye of the beholder!
And let's face it - when we were under 30, did any of us know anyone over 60 that we didn't consider elderly, however well they were / looked for their age?

annodomini Sun 08-Mar-20 18:47:21

I gave in when my GP referred me to the falls clinic at our local hospital and I was assessed by the Consultant in the Care of the elderly - ie geriatrician. I'll be 80 by the end of the year, so I suppose that figures!

Duvetdiva Sun 08-Mar-20 20:54:54

Moggycuddler You may not think elderly is 75+ when you reach 74!.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 08-Mar-20 21:25:35

I'm 68 but not elderly, and the wrinkled face in the mirror is someone else's which appears for no reason if I put my lenses in.

Actually, I'm very glad that the virus is more likely to affect me adversely than my DCG. If it was more dangerous for children I think most of us would be a lot more worried.

4allweknow Sun 08-Mar-20 22:43:01

Well that knocks out most in the House of Lords and quite a few in Government. We will be saving a fair bit in their attendance allowances!

janzicb1 Sun 08-Mar-20 22:56:02

I think elderly should start in the eighties. Like myself,many 75 year olds are still very active and involved in a lot of activities and travel abroad. In the eighties surely but slowly ones energy is lessened. I don’t object to senior because after reading five wonderful people to adulthood I reckon I can consider myself as someone with experience of life but elderly I’d prefer to be applied to me in my next decade!!

growstuff Sun 08-Mar-20 23:45:29

rafichagran How did you work that one out? The state pension only reaches 66 and 6 months for people born on or after 6 September 1960, which you weren't, if you're 62.

MissAdventure Sun 08-Mar-20 23:50:06

Well, I genuinely hadn't considered myself part of the 'at risk' group..