Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Budget

(36 Posts)
M0nica Wed 11-Mar-20 15:57:57

i did not notice any mention of social care. Did I miss it?

gillybob Thu 12-Mar-20 10:44:41

I don’t think it went far enough to help business . I would like to have seen immediate SSP rolled out to any illness and to enable small businesses to claim the costs back as it used to be instead of having to foot the bill ourselves . I would also liked to have seen a reduction in employers NI in areas such as here in the NE with the highest level of unemployment in the country .

JenniferEccles Thu 12-Mar-20 10:46:42

I believe the social care issue is going to a cross-party discussion so the government is waiting until Labour finally, eventually elect their new leader.

The government can’t win! If the spending plan was very restrained there would have been howls of outrage from the left wouldn’t there?

Please try some optimism folks!
We have a strong government with a healthy majority trying to do its best for our country.

gillybob Thu 12-Mar-20 10:50:55

I agree that social care should be a cross party decision . We all know there is a problem and it’s too big for one government/ party to tackle alone . Measures will have to be taken that won’t be popular with many people .

Dinahmo Thu 12-Mar-20 11:02:50

It's interesting that those who are supporters of the government can only praise the Chancellor's delivery but have little to say about the actual content. At least he was coherent, unlike the PM!

Davidhs Thu 12-Mar-20 13:28:15

It’s hard to be optimistic, the Government is indeed doing what it thinks is best for the U.K. economy, yet the value of Sterling is falling against the Dollar and the Euro.
Corona virus is affecting all countries, for sterling to be doing worse than other currencies is not a good sign, a recession alongside Brexit is just what the UK did not need.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 12-Mar-20 14:22:00

Sadly Urmstongran the Autumn will be far too late for many in the social care system, who have a far higher rate of mortality than the general population, and are receiving inadequate or no care at present.

Of course it should be a cross party discussion, but the issue has been evaded for too long, I guess for cost and political reasons, and now I fear it is too late.

Is this how our society has evolved, lacking in compassion and humanity and the survival of the fittest?

Teetime Thu 12-Mar-20 15:28:24

I thought Mr Sunaks delivery was excellent. Clear and well explained, some moments of humour but what I liked best was his acknowledgement of the work of his colleagues. What money tree he has found I have no idea but overall it sounded hopeful.

M0nica Thu 12-Mar-20 16:10:51

Superb speech, well delivered. He is in the running for the next Prime Minster stakes. To see someone as personable and well spoken representing our country on the international stage after the last half dozen or more incumbents would be a distinct improvement.

However, words and appearance are all very well. What he now has to do is deliver the goods - and that is a lot more difficult - and I am not totally convinced.

I actually had a sneaking agreement with jeremy Corbyn when he spoke of 'smoke and mirrors'. Lets see what actually gets delivered.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 12-Mar-20 17:39:34

Style over substance? Time will tell.

varian Thu 12-Mar-20 20:31:03

"Given the NHS has to face #coronavirusuk with a record shortage of nurses & the care sector with over 120,000 vacancies, does the PM not agree that the three Tory governments since 2015 should have fixed the roof when the sun was shining?" - @EdwardJDavey #PMQs #Budget2020 t.co/h7zh4PCFhm

Superb question, well delivered- highlighting the neglect of this and previous Tory governments.