Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government is lying about lack of availability of CV testing chemicals

(167 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 01-Apr-20 13:33:45

I'm not surprised. But hugely disappointed. I understand politics and that a Tory decision isn't the same as a Labour decision, but at the moment, SURELY the only thing any government should be doing is whatever helps the country and its people the most?

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/uk-government-forced-to-lie-its-way-out-of-trouble/01/04/?fbclid=IwAR2gVbt6bvLFNw31W7Pz8aV6GYYjzjOEjwXT5Qrtq0YbaixDBZkIXiblgqk#.XoRhTd9Xvj0.facebook

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 18:49:09

Ha ha

Has he looked in a mirror?

lemongrove Sat 04-Apr-20 18:47:51

He thinks that wearing a mask will make him look un-statesmanlike (hollow laugh.)

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 17:53:33

I think they should ask Trump now Namsnanny!
He's not wearing a mask, he could lend them a couple of his.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 17:52:36

www.dundee.ac.uk/stories/dundee-expertise-aids-covid-19-testing-effort
The University of Dundee has helped establish Scotland’s central COVID-19 testing facility in support of the national response to the coronavirus pandemic

The centre, based at the University of Glasgow, was announced by the UK Government yesterday as part of a series of measures to increase testing and response to the spread of COVID-19 across the UK. It will be opened in collaboration with the Scottish Government and industry experts from BioAscent Discovery Ltd and Dundee’s Drug Discovery Unit (DDU).

The Glasgow centre is one of a number of new hub laboratories to be opened in order to increase COVID-19 testing during the crisis. The centres will be coordinated by the Medicines Discovery Catapult, and the project supported by partners Thermo Fisher Scientific, Amazon, Boots and Royal Mail, alongside the Wellcome Trust.

Press Release
3rd April 2020

Thank goodness some can see that we need a united effort.

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 17:47:53

paddyanne

The whole of the UK needs testing equipment, we are all in this together, united we stand, divided we fall etc etc.
Jingoistic nationalism has no place whatsoever in this current crisis.
They probably need to test the testing equipment at another laboratory to discover if it is fit for purpose before issue nationwide.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 17:42:20

grin Namsnanny

Namsnanny Sat 04-Apr-20 17:41:02

probably sending some of it to H&M in USA (stir, stir, grin)

Callistemon Sat 04-Apr-20 17:34:13

Perhaps they need it in Wales.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Apr-20 16:38:52

Have you got a link to that paddy?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Apr-20 16:38:26

Before you get too annoyed paddy perhaps we need to look at it in more depth to find the truth of the matter.

paddyanne Sat 04-Apr-20 16:36:01

Just heard that Royal Marines have taken testing equipement from Dundee university to relocate it in England?????What about us all being in this together? Mind you thats a well worn phrase that always means Westminster takes anything it wants ,This time using the armed services to take it .Angry ,you bet I am .My small town is seeing deaths daily from CV ,another old friend today so OUR testing labs need to be used here

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Apr-20 16:12:10

Keir Starmer has wasted no time in this crises, and has already talked to the Chief Medical Officer and the CEO of the NHS.

He is taking part in Cobra next week

Eloethan Sat 04-Apr-20 15:59:53

If you disagree with what someone has said, why not explain why you disagree, instead of ridiculing people.

Jabberwok Sat 04-Apr-20 10:27:01

Armchair Generals?!! Now they really do have the crystal ball!

lemongrove Fri 03-Apr-20 22:11:43

Sparkling...you got it in one! ?
Gransnet should really be re-named ‘Armchair Critics’ ?

Deedaa Fri 03-Apr-20 22:06:12

DD says some of her undergraduates are volunteering to work on the testing. they are all biochemists and used to working with viruses. She won't be able to do any herself because her DH has serious heart and kidney problems and is being kept isolated,

Pikachu Fri 03-Apr-20 11:33:48

Trouble is it’s only a fortnight since Hancock was saying he’d been in touch with supermarkets about keeping the food supply going, and when reporters asked the supermarkets they said no one had been in touch with them.

notanan2 Fri 03-Apr-20 11:32:05

Is he mixing with everyone or just other cabinite members who also tested +ive?

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 11:20:41

Maybe he's found the Magic Isolation Tree too! wink

SirChenjin Fri 03-Apr-20 09:03:57

Yes it seems like a very short isolation confused

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:00:26

Still not clear how he escaped isolation though?

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 08:55:05

I'm not holding my breath … 100,000 tests will be hard in addition to 40 new hospitals and 50,000 new nurses!

It's still better than slimey denials and lies. It's a bit like watching a long tennis match, pinging and ponging between advantage points.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Apr-20 08:25:26

Don’t hold your breath - I seem to remember something about Boris and a ditch...

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:23:05

I was thrilled that at long last the Tories have recognised the extreme burden they have been placing on the NHS throughout their enforced period of austerity and written off the untold billions of debt that was such a massive milestone around the NHS neck.

Now the really sensible thing to do will be to fund it appropriately with a dedicated tax which reflects the standard of health care we would all expect.

Hancock whilst being his usual Tiggerish persona at the start of the press conference actually appeared to lay his job on the line, by promising that 100000 tests would be carried out by the end of the month. We don’t know what sort they will be, but he is prepared to do or die which I suppose is a step forward.

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 08:10:09

Very pleased that Matt Hancock has found a Magic Chemical Tree after Rishi Sunak found a Magic Money Tree. We live in strange times!