Gransnet forums

News & politics

Other government news. Life outside of covid

(113 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:16:07

People are concerned as to where Patel is.

She has apparently refuse 4 times to turn up at a government committee to answer to cross party questioning.

Some suggestion that she isn’t in the country, but haven’t been able to verify it

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Apr-20 18:58:17

I hope and pray that Johnson will not join Osborne in his cesspit of austerity

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Apr-20 18:39:01

I see Osborne is calling for austerity to reintroduced ASAP.

The essential workers and poor were quickly forgotten

Dinahmo Tue 21-Apr-20 15:38:05

Have you come across Michael Spicer - The Room Next Door? There's clips of Patel, Johnson, Trump and more to which he adds comments. You'll find him on You tube.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:18:37

Government has shelved Patels immigration bill

Nice to think her days may be numbered

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/government-shelves-priti-patel-s-immigration-bill-house-of-commons-1-6616651

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Apr-20 09:37:09

No surprise really. She has a dreadful reputation for dimness and nastiness. Comes from being dim I suppose

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/home-secretary-facing-legal-action-over-bullying-allegations/20/04/

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Apr-20 11:39:20

I would like to know what all the highly paid NHS Trust procurement Officers have been doing since January??

My family business supplies protective clothing, masks etc and the supply chain started slowly grinding to a halt from mid January. China supplies 60% of the worlds PPE, they shut down and are only just restarting production.

My point being that we were aware of a slow down in the supply chain and the non-availability of some products, so should the Procurement Officers have been.

Dinahmo Sat 18-Apr-20 11:23:08

So much for not wanting foreign workers in GB! The government are flying in 100s of Rumanians to pick lettuce and asparagus. Despite agricultural jobs being advertised take up has been low.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 19:02:23

IMF warning the U.K. would be wise not to give ourselves another economic shock by ruling out an extension.

www.politico.eu/article/imf-to-uk-dont-make-life-tougher-by-sticking-to-brexit-deadline/

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 17:01:26

Oh bloody brilliant, we will run out of PPE gowns this weekend.

Never have so many MPs told so many lies.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 15:27:52

I was listening to the MI6 chap the other morning and he made the point that in times of crises history speeds up, so we may well see change both socially and economically if the forecasts about the economy are correct by as we will certainly be in economic crises.

Galaxy Fri 17-Apr-20 15:12:48

Yes and the point we are making is that covid may influence that. In the way that future decisions around social care and the nhs may be influenced by what is happening.

Grandad1943 Fri 17-Apr-20 15:02:18

Galaxy the way Britain views and interacts with Europe is still to be addressed and that concept may in all probability not be brought forward until very late this year.

Galaxy Fri 17-Apr-20 14:45:48

Actually the way we view and interact with Europe is vitally important.

Grandad1943 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:31:50

I was avid in opposition to Britain leaving the European Union. However, that battle is over and the Bill for the United Kingdom to leave the EU has passed through parliament and we have now withdrawn.

All that is left to negotiate is any trading agreement that Britain will negotiate with Europe, and as it stands at this point in time that has to be concluded by the end of this year or Britain goes forward on WTO terms of trade.

The Brexit debate is now "water under the bridge" and only a change of government and fresh negotiations on Britain rejoining the EU would change the above.

That scenario will not happen in the foreseeable future as there will be no change of government and therefore no change stance. So, those on this thread and others who keep harking back to Brexit can just forget it.

We are out of the European Union and Britain must now go forward from where we are as any other thoughts are totally pointless and we now as a nation must make best of the circumstances we have.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 13:29:52

Ooh immigrants to pick our food.

Brexiters must be tearing their hair out and Patel apoplexy.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 13:12:24

Even the herd immunity idea has been blown up, as it appears that many people who have covid mildly then you have very few antibodies which it is thought will disappear over time.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 13:08:20

A huge amount of criticism voiced In the health select committee.

It looks as if we are on course to be the worst in Europe.

What an accolade.

Galaxy Fri 17-Apr-20 11:31:28

I wonder if this will change some of the attitudes towards Europe or if that is just too entrenched.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:21:53

77% of people polled now want the U.K. to partake in the bulk purchase of PPE etc. And also to remain as a member if The European Medicines Agency.

Sounds very level headed and sensible.

trisher Fri 17-Apr-20 11:12:16

As far as messing things up though you can't do much better than this government. There was the EU PPE miss and now the tests that don't work! $20mill down the drain. Paying China for tests that don't work. When Boris mentioned "pregnancy tests" someone should have twigged!
thehill.com/policy/international/493263-uk-payed-20-m-for-faulty-coronavirus-antibody-tests

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:11:22

Only 9% of people wan5 the U.K. to return to how it was

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-only-9-of-britons-want-life-to-return-to-normal-once-lockdown-is-over-11974459?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:04:32

grandad

I am grateful that Starmer is putting the lives of people in the country before party politics.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:01:14

grandad

The U.K. is the only country in Europe and probably one of very very few world wide, who has not apparently any plans for exit.

They didn’t plan going in resulting in the absolute shambles we are seeing now.

They must plan going out

Galaxy Fri 17-Apr-20 09:27:43

Or he could be commenting on the current unprecedented global crisis. I care about what is going on in the labour party but I want the opposition to focus on the covid issue at the present time.

Grandad1943 Fri 17-Apr-20 09:14:59

Whitewavemark2 in regard your post @07:06 today, whatever Keir Starmer may think and state, the time to plan on how Britain may come out of lockdown is in the days prior to the next review, that being in three weeks time.

By that time the government will have more data available to it on how the release of lockdown has gone in other countries.

Along with the above, further data will be available on how the epidemic has progressed within regions and among varying age groups within Britain.

The worst thing that could happen for business in Britain at the present time would be to spend further resources on preparing for a release from lockdown that may then not come about.

Some people could try thinking about this matter more before sounding off and that should include Keir Starmer.

Although, I feel he maybe just trying to divert attention away from the current unprecedented serious problems within the Labour Party.