Gransnet forums

News & politics

Other government news. Life outside of covid

(112 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:16:07

People are concerned as to where Patel is.

She has apparently refuse 4 times to turn up at a government committee to answer to cross party questioning.

Some suggestion that she isn’t in the country, but haven’t been able to verify it

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:23:56

The deaths of immigrant doctors and nurses, shows how reliant our treasured NHS is on immigrant labour.

Perhaps Patel would like to revisit her description of many of these as low skilled workers?

vampirequeen Thu 09-Apr-20 17:48:27

She's trying to avoid the committee because she knows they'll call her out and she'll be found lacking.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 22:09:24

Germany is to send 60 ventilators to the UK as a gesture of goodwill.

They are beginning to come out of lockdown next week, after an impressive and swift action early on resulting in fewer deaths

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 22:21:00

Patel is getting on to the over-zealous police for searching people's shopping bags in case they've bought items that aren't necessary. She's upsetting the police for overuse of power.

CherryCezzy Thu 09-Apr-20 22:27:24

I thought that this thread might have been about the fact that post b..x..t discussions are still going on. Or that migrants are still crossing the channel or that there are still civil wars and bombings going on in some places.
It is curious that the home secretary has made several refusals to appear in front of the committee. Apparently, she has said she will appear at the end of the month.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 23:31:49

She could try supporting the police - perhaps if she was doing her job she might have met ( remotely);with senior police reps to discuss issues rather than go on a cheap and nasty radio show to bad mouth them. She’s too busy turning down meetings with the Select Committee and writing childish letters to Yvette Cooper. If she was up to her cabinet position, she’d be allowed to front one of the press briefings and tell the public to support the police but Johnson darent let her and her smirk out in public. She’s a disgrace and so is he for appointing her.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 23:35:57

And Ellen it is simply not appropriate for a Home Secretary to chastise the police on a radio show when she won’t appear in front of the Select Committee. As HS she must have been party to the emergency legislation which is so badly drafted it’s causing all these problems for the police.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:38:40

Yes why isn’t Patel out there shouting from the roof tops and supporting the police force.

The wretched woman is useless, and needs to go.

suziewoozie Fri 10-Apr-20 08:57:47

She’s a complete unmitigated disaster - sacked from one ministerial post and appointed by BJ because a) she is a Brexiter b) she’d do his bidding c) she’d never be a threat to him. Unfortunately he hadn’t calculated quite what a disaster she would be.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 09:00:17

I've never liked her. Too big for her boots and the most arrogant of people, a trait usually left for the male of the species.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:21:15

Keir Starmer

“ when we get through this, and we will get through this, it will be because if our NHS staff, our care workers, our ambulance drivers, our emergency service, our cleaners and our porters.

They are the best of us”

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:26:47

Will this minister resign?

Robert Jenrick who stood in No 10 exhorting us to stay in our homes was found to have visited his parents miles from his home.

He said that he needed to deliver stuff.

We need stuff delivered like medicine etc. We have arranged for it to be done - no problem

Mal44 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:44:06

Where is the Home Secretary?She has never appeared on Radio 4 or BBC Virus updates.Does she not have a voice? Is she ill?

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 09:50:35

I understood the stories of police searching shopping baskets was fake news.

The government listed the shops that could keep open, not a list of goods we can purchase. If the shop is legally open you can buy anything inside that is for sale.

Smileless2012 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:57:13

I think this fake news may have come from countries with full lock down MOnica, where people go out with a shopping bag to look as if their trip is necessary when it's just an excuse to go outside.

As we are still able to go out once a day for exercise there's no reason for anyone's shopping bag to be inspected. After all, what maybe a necessary item for one, wont be a necessary item for someone else.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:47:40

With immigrants dying to help save lives, Patel’s ministry has chosen this moment to advise all the nurses, care workers, etc that they won’t be able to apply for a visa come January.

Why is she still in post?

vampirequeen Fri 10-Apr-20 12:40:27

She can't seem to see the irony that under her new rules her parents wouldn't have been allowed to settle in the UK.

railman Fri 10-Apr-20 12:55:11

WW2 you said: We need stuff delivered like medicine etc. We have arranged for it to be done - no problem

We envy you - our local chainstore pharmacy (^we used to call them chemists' shops^) are able to receive our prescriptions direct from our surgery, which we requested about a month back. But when we asked for them to be delivered, they replied: "We can't do that, as we're not taking on any new registrations".

To say we were disappointed - given we now have to increase our risk - would be an understatement. My wife used to work at a chemist shop for some time years ago - not a chain store type - and as dispensary assistants they would often take medicines to the patient on their way home after work.

Maybe we do need to go back to this way of working, and less of the supermarket style!

suziewoozie Fri 10-Apr-20 12:58:00

Yes I saw that WW. The only solace I give myself is that BJ is letting her dig her own grave and she’ll be out after we are back to ( some degree) of normality. I heard the new shadow HS being interviewed this morning - bet she’s relieved the house isn’t sitting. He was very impressive, well briefed and avoided all the traps set.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:58:29

railmanyes we were registered with a pharmacy so are now able to deliver DHs prescription, they even offered to deliver the dogs prescription, but I thought that was pushing it a tad! So went and collected it myself.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 13:09:32

Nick Thomas-Symonds - shadow Home Office

Has given a heart felt thanks to the police for their work during this difficult-of times.

lemongrove Fri 10-Apr-20 13:10:26

Our son has kindly collected our medicines for us and also delivered food.He lives miles away, but has come to our assistance recently.We cannot have our prescriptions delivered, they have to be picked up from the pharmacy.

lemongrove Fri 10-Apr-20 13:12:09

The police do a difficult job at all times but there have been some over zealous and ridiculous statements from some officers so far during this emergency.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 13:12:47

George Osborne

“Starmers shadow cabinet is impressive..... when parliament resumes this government is in for a mighty shock, judging by the line up”