Gransnet forums

News & politics

Senior RMT official suspended for saying he’d throw a party if Boris Johnson died

(194 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 10-Apr-20 22:11:59

This in response to the PM being hospitalised with this dreadful virus.

M0nica Sat 11-Apr-20 10:48:41

Maizie Could you give me a link to the 1,000 specifically named individuals, or even specific groups of people that Boris specifically condemned to death?

I have looked everywhere and cannot find it.

trisher Sat 11-Apr-20 10:52:41

lemon I live in hope because the young people I know who live creative and alternative life styles have not fallen for the Tory and MSM propaganda but live lives where they care and support others. I may be angry but I can sleep at night because I have consistently campaigned for the NHS and care services, and when I clap on a Thursday I do so with a clear conscience whereas there are many who should be shouting, "Sorry."
Annie it's a question of free speech. Do you believe in it or not? I do.

gillybob Sat 11-Apr-20 10:55:32

Yes I got that lemon thank you . smile

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 11:00:28

I don't think my young relatives live creative or alternative lifestyles.
I know they are extremely hardworking nurses, carers, teachers etc who seem to live fairly ordinary lives like most people, but under extraordinary and extreme pressure a the moment in their dedication to helping others.

I do know people who live creative and alternative lifestyles too but they tend to be doing creative and alternative jobs.

confused

Anniebach Sat 11-Apr-20 11:00:28

Free speech trisher ? Always believed in it but never thought
it meant accepting and defending racism, you do .

Lucca Sat 11-Apr-20 11:07:01

Ilovecheese thank you for reading my comments!

Grandad1943 Sat 11-Apr-20 11:08:33

I believe that few people would wish to defend the disgusting remarks made by this person. However, in regard to his position within the RMT union, he will under legislation have to be treated in the same manner as any other employed person in the UK in regard to disciplinary action being brought against him.

In the above, there will have to be a disciplinary inquiry and if then it is found there is a case to answer a full disciplinary hearing will be convened.

Should he at that hearing be found to be in breach of any RMT staff rules or procedures a disciplinary penalty will be handed down. Steve Hedley will then, of course, be entitled to an appeal hearing against that penalty.

As Hedley placed these outrageous statements on his personal Facebook page it may be difficult to sustain a charge of "bringing the union into disrepute" unless he has made reference to the RMT and his position within it on that Facebook page it in recent weeks.

However, as stated, that situation would apply to any employed person in similar circumstances.

rafichagran Sat 11-Apr-20 11:10:08

Nasty, hateful comment. I am disgusted by it. This is not politics it's just someone's evil thoughts.
I have different political thoughts to my friends, no way would they wish me dead.
Bully is one word to describe him but I can think of worse.

Bridgeit Sat 11-Apr-20 11:14:07

Thread title, RMT senior official would throw a party if Boris Johnson died.
This senior official is obviously driven by anger & hatred, not a good combination for ANY person in an official position to have. He is being driven by strong personal emotions without the balance of logical reasoning.

Anniebach Sat 11-Apr-20 11:20:29

How sad to hold hatred in the heart

M0nica Sat 11-Apr-20 11:31:25

GRanddad1943 I know you are a decent man and abhor these remarks as much as others do.

However I do not think that the fact this apology for a man posted his remarks on a personal account on Facebook makes any difference as to whether he brings his union into disrespect. Those knowing him know what his job is. Anyone who reads his Facebook entry can repost them if they disgust them and know that a man in his position should not be posting such remarks anywhere.

There are plenty of people whose careers have been ruined by posting far more anodyne, although unacceptable opinions, than this on their private social media accounts.

trisher Sat 11-Apr-20 11:32:00

Annie how does it feel? (in respect to Lord Robens?)

trisher Sat 11-Apr-20 11:34:36

Annie I could report your 11.00.28 post but I won't I will ask when I have defended racism?

Chewbacca Sat 11-Apr-20 11:36:43

Grandad1943 I understand the protocol regarding disciplinary hearings and would hope and expect, that the RMT would be anxious to put as much distance between Steve Hedley and themselves as possible. Whilst it's true that he made his comments on his own Facebook page, and didn't mention his employers name, the RMT are able to take the same action against him that VHS Fletcher Solicitors took against Sheila Oakes who did a very similar thing.

The question is, will RMT have the same ethical will to put as much distance between them and their publicly embarrassing employee as VHS Fletchers?

Nightsky2 Sat 11-Apr-20 11:41:22

What a vile disgusting man he is. Will be interesting to see if he loses his job!. What kind of person makes such a comment about another person. Only someone with a very twisted mind I would say.

trisher Sat 11-Apr-20 11:43:36

Bridegit ^ driven by anger & hatred, not a good combination for ANY person in an official position to have. He is being driven by strong personal emotions without the balance of logical reasoning.^
The NHS was built by people who held hatred and anger in their heart like Nye Bevan. And perhaps if more people had held hatred and anger in their heart it would be better equipped to deal with this crisis and NHS staff would not be ill and dying because of lack of PPE.

Grandad1943 Sat 11-Apr-20 11:47:36

M0nica, in regard to your post @11:31 today, what I have stated in my earlier post @11:08 today was the procedure that has to be gone through if Hedley is to be "brought to book" for his actions.

Anything short of that procedure will see him walk away clear of any penalty his employers the RMT may wish to see imposed at this point in time and that would be an outcome that many in this thread would most definitely not wish to see.

So, the legislation on disciplinary action against employees has to be allowed to run its course. However, that procedure when completed may not be the outcome that I and many others are hoping for.

We can only wait and see.

Bridgeit Sat 11-Apr-20 11:49:30

Anger , yes, Passion yes, a sense of injustice yes, a will to fight for justice yes, but hatred can cause more harm to the hater, than the person/s. hated

Chewbacca Sat 11-Apr-20 11:54:58

trisher do you honestly believe it's only the UK's NHS that's struggling to get enough PPE equipment? Don't you read news from around the world about how medical staff and health professionals are dying because of a lack of protective clothing and equipment?

Here’s How Some Of The Countries Worst Hit By Coronavirus Are Dealing With Shortages Of Protective Equipment For Healthcare Workers Forbes.

The U.S.: Healthcare workers on the front lines have, in some cases, taken to creating PPE using office supplies, or reusing existing supplies more times than the CDC recommends in order to stretch supply. Doctors, nurses and medical workers desperate for more protection are protesting, while the New England Journal of Medicine has warned that “no matter which estimate we use, there are not enough ventilators for patients with COVID-19 in the upcoming months” in the U.S. Donald Trump ordered General Motors to make ventilators, but this week suggested that they could also be sent to Europe.

Italy: Now the worst-hit country by number of deaths linked to COVID-19, healthcare workers accounted for more than 8% of national infections between March 11 and 17, 2020, according to one study. At least 61 Italian doctors have died after contracting the virus, with the threat to front-line staff caused in part because of a lack of PPE. “So far, the outbreak-related global PPE shortage has forced the use of lower-protection PPEs,” including masks for infection control procedures on hospital patients, one study found.

Spain : Spain is the third-worst-affected country in terms of cases, and a severe PPE shortage has contributed to at least 12,000 healthcare professionals contracting the virus, or 14% of total infections, the New York Times reports. Some staff at Madrid’s La Paz hospital are left with little choice but to reuse gowns when treating different patients, and doubling up on flimsy masks in the absence of more sophisticated respirator masks. The shortage of PPE and its effect on the number of infections among medical professionals, is having a knock-on effect on the availability of medical staff.

France : Authorities have seized tens of thousands of face masks being hoarded by individuals seeking to profit from online price gouging. France’s health minister over the weekend said the government had ordered a billion masks from China, while 40 million are consumed there each week—around ten times precrisis levels, Reuters reported. French luxury brands Chanel and LVMH have pivoted their facilities to produce PPE and hand sanitizer.

India: Doctors are using raincoats and helmets in place of N95 masks, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the government is trying to get access to a bulk shipment of PPE from South Korea and China. Ambulance workers in one state are on strike, while one anonymous doctor told Reuters: “We won’t work at the cost of our lives.” India’s 1.3 billion residents are on lockdown, while there have been 1,250 confirmed cases to date.

Oopsminty Sat 11-Apr-20 12:04:27

It's pointless, Chewbacca

Everything that's happening is our government's fault apparently

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Apr-20 12:06:54

BMA reporting that doctors lives are at risk because of the PPE shortage.

That’s our doctors, members of our families, my cousin and my niece.

I worry for the world but I can only be influential in my own country atm

The government new the score from as far back as 2017, but their obsession with austerity ensured that people are dying.

Oopsminty Sat 11-Apr-20 12:14:00

Yes WW2, it's a nightmare for all. My son is a doctor. I know all about the issues. I must point out though that the hospital where he is has sufficient PPE

But this is a worldwide problem

As was austerity. Read up about it.

Anniebach Sat 11-Apr-20 12:15:07

trisher I never hated Lord Robens, never wished him dead ,
would never have rejoiced in his death .

My anger which I still hold for the betrayal of the parents and community of Aberfan is against the unions who kept him in
his job knowing the enquiry into the deaths found
-he was economical with the truth’.

Report my post , I don’t care so no need to ‘be noble’

trisher Sat 11-Apr-20 12:15:26

Chewbacca trying to deflect by posting other country's experiences just won't wash. The Tories have systenatically under funded the NHS for the last 10 years. They have refused to pay staff properly, withdrawn bursaries for nurse training, and forced staff to run on a restricted budget. Had they not done so we would have been better prepared in ALL areas for this crisis. PPE is just a small example, but vitally important for the staff involved. As for the US had the Tories been able to progress privatisation a little further than they managed, I think we would now have a situation similar to theirs, where states are bidding against each other to buy equipment, and would have hospitals and trusts behaving in a similar way.
How anyone can excuse the mess the NHS is in and pretend to support the staff coping with everything I don't understand.

trisher Sat 11-Apr-20 12:17:51

Annie the post can stand as can your lack of any evidence to your claim that I have ever supported racism. I never have.