Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you sure, Harry?

(337 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 16-Apr-20 16:27:56

Not about your decision to cut and run from your country and family.
Not about bleating that you feel guilty about isolating in a multi-million pound mansion in LA during Lockdown.
Not about suggesting to frazzled parents that they should celebrate the moment, rolling around the floor in hysterics. confused

But....When you made that call asking for money generated by your wedding to be used for feeding children during the pandemic, are you really sure it was the Archbishop of Canterbury who picked up the phone?? grin

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8224495/Prince-Harrys-family-time-LA-home-lockdown.html

Sparklefizz Thu 16-Apr-20 21:19:53

The person I would like to compare Harry with is Capt. Tom who is 3 times Harry's age and a hero in more ways than one.

Anniebach Thu 16-Apr-20 21:23:17

The royals never criticise the government ,

merlotgran Thu 16-Apr-20 21:39:20

It's very easy to criticise the government of your country when you've scuttled off to another one.

Anniebach Thu 16-Apr-20 21:41:39

I Await his criticism of his president

Namsnanny Thu 16-Apr-20 21:43:37

P. Andrew and Fergie were photographed handing food packages to a nursing home somewhere, the other day.
Unless I was duped again!

Namsnanny Thu 16-Apr-20 22:03:09

Am I right, this is how it works?

The BBC (us) stumped up the funds to broadcast the wedding.
Then sold it abroad to whom ever.
There was a profit made.
H&M were given a percentage to donate to a charity of their choice.
So it wasn't really their money to give away anyway????

Anniebach Thu 16-Apr-20 22:05:56

Yes, it wasn’t their money

Sparklefizz Fri 17-Apr-20 08:59:36

William and Kate have donated to Major Tom.

Anniebach Fri 17-Apr-20 09:07:27

The government of the country he couldn’t wait to leave.

merlotgran Fri 17-Apr-20 09:32:48

On Wednesday they delivered food parcels (one each) to a charity in Los Angeles.

Nothing wrong with that but they arrived in an SUV with their security men behind in another one. They then walked to a gated doorway, handed in the bags and got back in their cars.

They must be really desperate to make an appearance even if only on security cameras.

Chestnut Fri 17-Apr-20 09:42:20

I saw the video of them 'delivering food parcels' if you could call them such. They had some pretty blue bags over their shoulders which can't have had much food in them! When I see them packing proper food boxes and heaving them out of cars and up the stairs then I will believe it. This just looks totally fake!

quizqueen Fri 17-Apr-20 09:53:47

They got married 2 years ago so they have been hanging on to this money for all this time and it could have gone to charity ages ago.

Anniebach Fri 17-Apr-20 09:54:37

There was no video of Anne , no camera, some years ago in a winter when
much of the country had come to a standstill because of snow,
she carried bags of coal from a land rover to the homes of
elderly people in a village near her home.

oscaro11 Fri 17-Apr-20 10:00:57

Everything they do is for attention, they can’t bear to be out of the news for one day. If his brother is opening a hospital through video link and getting reported for that, then they’ve got to be seen to be doing something.....supposedly. And that money could have been quietly donated without fuss a while ago, but that wouldn’t suit their agenda. They are vile.

trisher Fri 17-Apr-20 11:03:59

So he speaks to people in a charity he is the patron of and who are struggling more than most of us at this time. They obviously appreciate his efforts but he shouldn't have done it. He criticises this government, something he wouldn't have been permitted to do here, but he shouldn't do it because he's not here. The posts on this thread are not only condemning Harry they are condemning all those poor parents who everyone else is ignoring.

oscaro11 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:13:36

He speaks to parents of disabled children whose lives have been made even harder than normal and speaks of ‘rolling around on the floor hysterically’ with his child who he then leaves while they go out and supposedly distribute meals for a charity, they don’t stay in lockdown, and return to said child possibly putting him at risk after being out and about to boost their profiles. Who’s kidding who here ?

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Apr-20 11:28:43

namsnanny -
Harry and Meghan asked for £90,000 - the excess profits from the BBC's broadcast - to be given to the charity Feeding Britain.
This is what I read.
But what I don't understand is what are excess profits?
Not just profits - they suggest the £90,000 is the excess.

Eglantine21 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:41:20

How about if they match it, pound for pound from their own money.
That would be a nice gesture.
How could we suggest it?

(I won’t hold my breath)

trisher Fri 17-Apr-20 11:44:58

oscaroll watch the video. You may not like his comments but the people he is talking to obviously do and laugh with him. As I said you are saying he shouldn't be talking to them or supporting them. Are they not entitled to choose who supports them?

oscaro11 Fri 17-Apr-20 11:48:23

Not getting into an argument with you trisher. Seen many do that on here and...let’s just say I’m not going there. You’ve got your views, I’ve got mine. The majority, not only on this site, are similar to mine.
You have a nice day.

Chestnut Fri 17-Apr-20 12:09:39

trisher - mixed messages coming from you.
On another thread you were running down the Royal Family:
At least you can get rid of a president if they are a disaster. We are stuck with this dysfunctional, delusional lot.
On this thread you are supporting H&M. As Harry is actually part of the Royal Family where does your allegiance lie, for or against? Presumably Harry is part of this 'dysfunctional delusional lot'.

Anniebach Fri 17-Apr-20 12:29:33

All charities are free to choose who supports them trisher
which is why the Queen is patron of over 500 charities,
Prince Charles set up The Princes Foundation which supports charities in this country and other countries, and thousands
of young people have been helped by The Princes Trust

oscaro11 Fri 17-Apr-20 12:34:07

And, given that there are so many charities vying for support and attention, they are grateful for any however misguided or controversial a figure their patron may be. They’re in the news, they’re noticed, the charity becomes known.

Jabberwok Fri 17-Apr-20 12:49:40

If H&M had proved to be valuable members of the RF I think they would be as despised and derided as all the others. It's probably the fact of them breaking away from the RF and causing them maximum embarrassment and distress that makes them somehow ok! Who knows with a bit of luck it could cause the downfall of the RF so of course they should be encouraged. I think that's why they are popular with republicans and every move they make approved of. Their wealthy privileged life partly paid for by UK tax payers is conveniently overlooked!!!!

Anniebach Fri 17-Apr-20 12:52:36

Agree Jabber