Gransnet forums

News & politics

Govt has ‘terrorised Britons into believing coronavirus will kill them, says advisor.’

(59 Posts)
Glorybee Fri 08-May-20 10:32:01

Here’s an excerpt from the Telegraph which is quite interesting -

Speaking in a personal capacity, Prof Dingwall said: "We have this very strong message which has effectively terrorised the population into believing that this is a disease that is going to kill you. And mostly it isn't.

"Eighty per cent of the people who get this infection will never need to go near a hospital. The ones who do go to hospital because they are quite seriously ill most of them will come out alive - even those who go into intensive care.

"We have completely lost sight of that in the obsession with deaths, the human interest stories about deaths, the international comparisons about death rates, the opportunities for intrepid television journalists to put on lots of PPE and go into high tech where people are acutely ill.

"All of that helps to create this climate of fear and I am not surprised in a sense that the Government might take a rather cautious approach to try to unlock the lockdown - simply because they would really be nervous that if they pushed it too quickly it would like giving a party and nobody came."

SirChenjin Fri 08-May-20 18:53:51

Absolutely agree Luckygirl

jenniwren Fri 08-May-20 19:03:55

What about all the brave and dedicated NHS and care workers that have lost their lives to this terrible virus. To date over 150 have died so please tell us Prof. Dingwall what other virus have we known in recent times that has caused such mass devastation and that is so infectious that even the docors and nurses fear for their own lives every shift. And we shouldn't be afraid hah ???

notanan2 Fri 08-May-20 19:33:20

NHS staff are campaigning to the public to not be afraid to seek medical help in a timely manner...

Jane10 Fri 08-May-20 19:36:44

Gagajo- don't panic it's not Middlesborough but goodness knows what's going on there.

maddyone Fri 08-May-20 21:34:32

MaizieD
Thank you for your post of 15.38. I agree with every word.

MaizieD Fri 08-May-20 21:39:34

I do agree with you that if anyone looks around enough it is nearly always possible to find an expert who's opinion suits ones preferred narrative.

No you don't, GG13. You're just being snidey.

Experts who give their 'opinion' based on their knowledge of their area of expertise are not to be dismissed lightly.

Experts who give their opinion based on nothing more than their opinion can legitimately be regarded with suspicion.

There is a vast difference between the two.

MaizieD Fri 08-May-20 21:42:03

Thanks, maddyone smile

maddyone Fri 08-May-20 21:43:54

Luckygirl and jenniwren
Also agree with both your posts. I would certainly like the Professor to tell us which other infectious disease has spread so quickly over the whole world with such devastating effects. And why if it’s really not so bad at all, that we have lost over 170 medics and medical key workers, from consultants to nurses, and porters to cleaners, who all worked in the hospitals.
I’m afraid I think the man is thinking of his own business, and if he is, he’s completely selfish.