Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will he resign 2

(615 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 25-May-20 17:31:13

Next one

GNHQ edit: Following on from previous thread linked to here: Will he resign?

MaizieD Fri 29-May-20 16:50:52

Has Grandad been abducted by aliens and replaced by an android?

Grandad1943 Fri 29-May-20 17:09:31

Only by an Android phone MaizieD, that's all ?

NfkDumpling Fri 29-May-20 17:21:45

Not that it’ll make one iota of difference, but the Change.org petition is nearly at 1,000,000.

Callistemon Fri 29-May-20 17:27:12

grin Grandad I love your sense of humour!

varian Sat 30-May-20 12:11:57

More than 1 million people have now signed the petition to support sacking Dominic Cummings

www.change.org/p/dominic-cummings-must-be-sacked/u/26760627?cs_tk=AuaFMo0qvNIsQcJ91V4AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvJxB80l6zfPJ7ew7mUwMRAc%3D&utm_campaign=41212b9b8e254c7fa181109e0e31592e&utm_content=control_v0_0_2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-20 12:46:18

I don't think it's going to make the slightest difference, but there is a huge bonus to having browsed the petitions and signing one.

The police responsible (probably) for causing the death of a man in custody by standing on his neck, have now been arrested.

I'm consoling myself with that.

MayBee70 Sat 30-May-20 16:49:51

Professor Van-Tam...respect! Thought he was going to walk out. Good man !,

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 18:18:25

At last someone willing to tell the truth.

At last someone who can live with himself

merlotgran Sat 30-May-20 18:34:28

A very clear message from Professor Van Tam. Somebody with a backbone at last.

May7 Sat 30-May-20 18:52:00

We both actually cheered when he spoke up. Hope that's not the last we see of him though

growstuff Sat 30-May-20 19:13:31

Theresa May said the following in a speech to her constituents:

“What this matter has shown is that there was a discrepancy between the simple messages given by the government and the details of the legislation passed by Parliament.
In these circumstances I do not feel that Mr Cummings followed the spirit of the guidance."

I think she's right. It is undoubtedly correct that Cummings did not break the law and, therefore, cannot have the law book thrown at him. In any case, he seems happy to be in contempt of Parliament, which he has still failed to address.

He used the legislation to justify his actions, which almost nobody had read, but which he must have known in fine detail. Meanwhile, the plebs followed the strong message given out by the government.

It shows total disdain for what others had done and were doing. That's the main message.

I'm glad Professor Van-Tam spoke as he did, considering what Therese Coffey said, in an attempt to "blame" the scientists. I'm sure he knows he's just blown his chances of an honour.

This is about Johnson now and his inability to manage without Cummings. He's surrounded himself with a lacklustre cabinet, who can't help him out, and isn't listening to his own backbenchers.

The 1922 Committee hasn't called for Cummings' resignation, but called Johnson to a meeting during the last week and is putting pressure on him to include more backbenchers in decision making, rather than relying in Cummings. They're worried about support from their own constituencies, especially those in marginal seats.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 19:15:21

“If”

varian Sat 30-May-20 19:56:03

Remember that questions relating to Cummings three years in Russia has never been answered. Has he been responsible for supressing the publication of the report into Russian interference in our elections?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/03/dominic-cummings-labour-questions-russia-links

Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 08:20:49

If this is true, then I can’t see how he will survive.

CUMMINGS “SPARE COTTAGE” IS WITHOUT PLANNING PERMISSION AND PAYS NO COUNCIL TAX.

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 08:42:43

Today in the Daily Mail:

“One teacher who reported Cummings drove 250 miles himself to get his daughter despite the lockdown rules
And Tim Matthews, who also claimed Cummings broke the rules, said he made his tale of events up as a joke”

Says it all really.
Twitter and some media types have latched on to Cummings. Trial by media.
Spin and trying to whip it all up - even if it’s made up ‘as a joke’. Fool.

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 08:54:56

Where was that from Whitewave. I thought the "cottage" he went to was his father's.

I think Mrs May has it. Sadly, because the press and some people went about it in a rather extreme manner he has got away with what, in other times, would have meant he would go. He can now just refer to the fact that he didn't break the law he was accused of breaking.

Whether or not the conspiracy theorists are correct and he came back from Russia intent on bringing the country down it is with Johnson where the responsibility still rests, Johnson and his government.

They have already, in my view, set Matt Hancock up as a patsy when all this is over and continued to treat him as below the salt when they swept away the chance to look into fines paid by anyone doing the same thing.

Cummings will be there until they get the Brexit they want. For many perhaps most, any economic pay off from this will be a long time coming. For the Eton gang in government, those with enough to fall back on and even enough to invest, all their birthdays will have come at once. Those who end up still having a job will just get by, as always, and those in need will end up yet again with nothing or next to nothing while this government says "See, we got your Brexit but now we have to pay off the Coronavirus debt". More of the poorest will die young and more of the rich will get richer.

Nothing changes except this time many of those who will suffer will have voted for it.

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 10:30:06

I thin Cummings will focus on Public Health England.
It’s a bureaucratic joke.
It’s not fit for purpose.

Boris inherited all this under investment from Cameron & Osborne’s austerity.

Then Ditherer May.

Someone ought to be accountable for the failures following the Cygnus report. PPE stock that was years out of date. Laboratory capacity that was severely under estimated. Red tape prohibiting private laboratories to help out.

It’s been shocking. It’s high time it had a shake up and Cummings is just the man to organise it before he hands in his resignation in 6 months.

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 10:34:34

Liars exposed today . Labour Party activist who pretended he had spotted Cummings and an anti-Brexiteer who themselves broke lockdown.

I am quite disgusted at the ways the press are congregating around his house . No social distancing just a group of piranhas ready to bite.

25Avalon Sun 31-May-20 10:38:38

Gillybob I agree

MaizieD Sun 31-May-20 10:45:43

If this is true, then I can’t see how he will survive.

It's true, Ww2. It's been very well researched

universalcreditsuffer.com/2020/05/31/cummings-spare-cottage-without-planning-permission-and-pays-no-council-tax/

All the relevant documents shown.

I don't think for one moment it will bring him down.

Though it shows up again the holes in his story. His account seems to say that there are three dwellings on the site, his parents', his sister's and his. But there's only one dwelling paying council tax hmm

MaizieD Sun 31-May-20 10:47:39

I thin Cummings will focus on Public Health England.
It’s a bureaucratic joke.
It’s not fit for purpose.

I'm sure they're lining up a purchaser for it in the USA even as we speak. Ug

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 11:20:44

That's okay then gillybob and 25Avalon 'cause in your pro-Conservative, pro-Brexit world two wrongs DO make a right. So even though the second wrong could not have been committed if the first hadn't been we can now forgive anything that came before simply because the second wrongs were committed by people who don't share your point of view.

Yep. That sounds like the morals of Conservative Brexiteers.

Grandad1943 Sun 31-May-20 11:22:18

gillybob, in regard to your post @10:34 today, it matters little now who seen what at the time of Cummings misdeeds occurring.

Cummings condemned himself at the rose garden interview in admitting that he drove to Cumbria at the time of lockdown, tested his eyesight by driving sixty miles with a child in the car and drove to a hospital when he believed he had Covid-19 along with much more.

Also, I did not see you on this forum complaining gillybob when journalists surrounded Jeremy Corbyns front door day after day seeking stories that even the writers who wrote many of those stories now admit were based entierly on untruths.

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 11:29:24

So who's fault is it if Public Health England is not fit for purpose UG

Public Health England (PHE) is an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care in the United Kingdom that began operating on 1 April 2013. Its formation came as a result of reorganisation of the National Health Service (NHS) in England outlined in the Health and Social Care Act 2012. It took on the role of the Health Protection Agency, the National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse and a number of other health bodies. It is an executive agency of the DHSC, and a distinct delivery organisation with operational autonomy.

It exists in it's current form because of the changes under the Conservative government and has only existed under the Conservatives.

GGumteenth Sun 31-May-20 11:32:58

Boris inherited all this under investment from Cameron & Osborne’s austerity.

Then Ditherer May.

Sorry, I hadn't realised you didn't vote these people in to power UG. Which government did you try to get in at the time?