Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will Boris sack Cummings ?

(46 Posts)
gangy5 Tue 26-May-20 19:26:32

No of course he won't and he's daft if he does. What an asset he has been to the PM - helped him to win a large majority at the election and organised our exit from the EU.......and it would be a big mistake to surrender to the lynch mob (the media and the people who don't like him)

growstuff Thu 28-May-20 23:34:35

Emily Maitlis won't be silenced forever. Somebody will snap her up if she's forced to leave the BBC.

I can't say the same about Vallance and Whitty, but fortunately we do still have other media and scientists who are willing to be honest.

gangy5 Fri 29-May-20 10:26:07

I am astounded at the underlying bitterness in some of these posts. It is a well known fact that many can't stand the man or his attitude. The venom from the press is a reprisal on Cummings not being willing to accommodate the media and the nastiness from common man is because he has negotiated situations that they are not in accord with.
There will have been thousands of cases where people will have flouted the rules - undetected.
Concentrate on how we are going to get out of this mess that Covid 19 has created. Sensible ideas would be appreciated !!

Ilovecheese Fri 29-May-20 10:31:57

I am still struggling to understand how people who are grandparents can support a man who tested his eyesight by driving with a four year old in the car. The fact that he told this story shows that either he lacks any judgment or that he thinks we are fools who will believe anything.
Why do people continue to support a man who can do that?

JenniferEccles Fri 29-May-20 13:10:36

I agree gangy5

There is so much hatred displayed on threads like this, about the PM and Cummings.

It’s all political of course. Cummings was involved in the successful Brexit campaign as well as the equally successful Conservative campaign prior to the GE.

glammanana Fri 29-May-20 13:19:01

I'm not interested in what DC does he can go or stay imo but if he goes who on this God given earth will employ him he is hardly an asset unless your name is Boris.

Rosalyn69 Fri 29-May-20 13:51:13

He won’t sake him unless it becomes politically expedient to do so. CYOA.

MayBee70 Fri 29-May-20 15:49:57

glammanana; Johnson doesn't employ Cummings. Cummings controls Johnson. I 've no idea who Cummings paymaster is but whoever it is they don't have the best interest of the country at heart. Cummings will never go away completely because he feeds off his power of manipulation. I used to think Farage was the most frightening person in politics but Cummings is in a different league. His attitude to the pandemic sums up his attitude to everything. He thinks he is hors la loi and he's enjoying every minute of it.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 16:23:55

He's live through periods of unemployment before. There are plenty of right wing think tanks who would have him.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 16:27:41

My Conservative MP has just deleted dozens of messages on her Facebook page from constituents asking for her to condemn Cummings (all very polite). Many of them I recognise as Conservatives. She is refusing to answer personal emails, but has issued a very anodyne generic letter.

As an MP, she's even lazier than Johnson, is hardly ever in the constituency, but she has a huge majority, so I guess she can get away with treating us like scum. Wonder where she gets that from! angry

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 16:29:49

What bitterness? You don't know me and you don't know how my mind works. To whom should I feel bitter? And what good would it do. I'm just sad how much this country has fallen in terms of morality and integrity.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 16:30:44

Hatred? Nope. Wrong again JenniferEccles. A hint for you - we're not all wired like you are.

growstuff Fri 29-May-20 16:32:31

gangy If there really are thousands of cases where people flouted the rules, it explains why the infection rate is going down so slowly. They're all just as bad. They should all have been prosecuted with a fine or punishment which hurt.

MaizieD Fri 29-May-20 16:59:46

Concentrate on how we are going to get out of this mess that Covid 19 has created. Sensible ideas would be appreciated !!

The most sensible idea I can think of is to get rid of Johnson and Cummings and put someone in charge who is competent and public spirited. Sadly I don't see the first as being likely and can't see the second in the ranks of tory MPS.

MayBee70 Sat 30-May-20 00:03:59

The only semi decent Conservative MP I can think of is Tobias Elwood. Didn’t Johnson ban him from something the other day which means he must be good. I’m even wishing that, if we must have a Conservative PM, we still had Theresa (it’s that bad...)

Sussexborn Sat 30-May-20 00:35:17

Our Conservative MP Stuart Anderson is very hands on. He regularly helps in lots of practical ways. As ex military he has a particular interest in helping ex military personnel and gets hands on helping wherever he can. He gets involved in litter clearing leading by example and obtains funding for future employment and housing.

Your innate prejudices always show how little you know of what really goes on. We hardly saw the previous labour MPs once they’d been elected.

Sussexborn Sat 30-May-20 00:40:24

Trial by media and disgruntled left wingers is not the way that BJ is likely to be forced into making changes.

MayBee70 Sat 30-May-20 00:43:24

Even my Conservative voting friend is appalled by what Cummings has done and the fact that Johnson hasn't sacked him so the whole thing has gone beyond politics and personal allegiances. It's a matter of morality now.

vegansrock Sat 30-May-20 06:08:30

Lots of Conservative supporters are appalled by Cummings arrogance and sense of entitlement. So it’s not merely political. It’s only those on here who think Brexit more important than thousands of lives and who were previously Farage supporters who will say it was a storm in a teacup, nothing to worry about, move on etc, if that’s not political motivation I don’t know what is.

hallgreenmiss Sat 30-May-20 07:22:59

‘Iam64’ It is enshrined in law. ‘No person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse’
DC’s trip to Barnard Castle to test his ability to drive doesn’t come anywhere near ‘reasonable excuse’. It smacks of concocting a story to fit what he knew the witness saw.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Jun-20 06:07:09

Cardiologist resigned over Cummings continued employment.

t.co/mMep42wIXl?amp=1