Gransnet forums

News & politics

George Floyd Protests in Hyde Park

(1001 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 16:34:13

There are 1000’s of protesters in Hyde Park as I post this, no social distancing.

When in two to three weeks time the UK Covid-19 figures go up and more people die these protesters will be responsible!

newnanny Thu 04-Jun-20 00:15:39

I have just seen the images on TV. There must be thousands there. The US officer has been charged with murder the bystander officers suspended and they will also face charges. I could understand the protest in US if police officer had not be charged. We keep hearing BAME people are more of risk yet they are putting themselves at deliberate risk by refusing to demonstrate in a socially distanced way. Some of those protesting today could become unwell and die in a few weeks. This is likely to cause a second spike. It is so unfair on NHS workers. Police did not fine people for breaking social distancing rules. It is utter madness. There is supposed to be a protest in Birmingham tomorrow.

suziewoozie Thu 04-Jun-20 00:25:10

If there’s going to be a second spike, it will have been triggered long before today’s protests.

merlotgran Thu 04-Jun-20 08:24:51

I'm so relieved my DGS, who was in the thick of it yesterday, now has a few days leave due to all the overtime he's been putting in lately. Our police don't deserve the abuse they've been getting.

almostelderly Thu 04-Jun-20 08:40:06

The protest began as a response to the murder of George Floyd but it now seems to have taken on a life of it own. Police brutality in the UK. BAME people being targeted, Stop and Search, during lockdown. A separate protest took place at Victoria Tube Station. Justice for the worker who died of coronavirus after being allegedly spat at by a commuter. The investigation and CCTV showed that this was not the case. I can understand the frustration and anger people feel, but I suspect there are professional agitators in the crowd plus assorted celebrities. A pandemic is not the time for thousands to gather and protest. All lives matter.

Glorybee Thu 04-Jun-20 08:45:29

Almostelderly - yes, there are always those who just love to cause trouble. This is from the Times report of the protest,

One female protester said of the violence: “This is just a group of boys who want a fight and are ruining the protest. It’s making me angry, that’s not what today’s movement was about.”

Davidhs Thu 04-Jun-20 08:49:29

There is a lot on TV this morning about Racism, while there is a lot of racial bias in the general population, there are very few cases of racism being the cause of death.

The facts are that if you are a young black man the greatest risk is being killed by a black assailant, the second greatest is by some kind of drug dispute, again no racial motive.

janipat Thu 04-Jun-20 08:50:34

suziewoozie do you honestly think the lack of any social distancing at the protests will have no effect on the spread of the virus? In which case we may as well just abandon all restrictions now. I think any gatherings like this will have an effect, and no matter how sympathetic to the sentiment, deliberate flouting of the rules is still wrong.

Jabberwok Thu 04-Jun-20 08:58:24

You're so right merlotgran, our Police most certainly do not deserve ANY abuse. They are the ones who run towards danger to protect us who run away, they are the ones who unflinchingly serve and put their lives on the line again, and again in all circumstances to the point of losing them. Shouting swearing, spitting and punching them is just vile whoever you are. My elder Grandaughter was thinking of joining the Police, but has changed her mind and now has the army in her sights. Can't say we're that sorry!!
I hope your grandson enjoys his well earned leave.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:44:50

Last night, Labour authorities all over Britain lit up buildings with purple lights in memory of George Floyd and in solidarity with those standing up against racism and injustice.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:48:06

The UK police should not have to tolerate abuse, being spat on and have missiles thrown at them.

These idiots protesters then went on to desecrate the cenotaph, how on earth does that help the situation.

Cressida Dick has stated that they did not try to enforce social distancing due to the numbers involved!!!

The MSM who have castigated DC, cannot hear them condemning these protesters who have disregarded every guideline concerning Covid-19. I wonder who they will blame in two-three weeks when there is a spike of infections /deaths especially as there was a large percentage of BAME protesting and these communities are proven to be more at risk.

Anniebach Thu 04-Jun-20 10:09:03

Lisa Nandy has criticised Barry Gardener for attending the demo, he videotaped himself in the crowd.

suziewoozie Thu 04-Jun-20 10:14:23

No janipat and I did not say that. Any spikes to come will not just date from the protests but from behaviour over preceding dates as well. The lockdown has been flouted now for a couple of weeks in various places. The protests are just a further example that’s all and are no more or less acceptable.

timetogo2016 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:24:18

JenniferEccles...you are spot on.
All lives matter but i wonder if it was a white man that was killed would be all over the world with protests etc.
I THINK NOT.

suziewoozie Thu 04-Jun-20 10:29:14

All lives matter is one of the most vacuous, intellectually dishonest, covertly racist phrases used in this context.

Jabberwok Thu 04-Jun-20 10:40:45

So what you're saying is that some lives are more important than others? What a strange way to feel.
Desecrating the Cenotaph has really saddened me. It honours all lives lost in our conflicts not just white ones. but I guess those people of colour are as unimportant/probably wicked as their white comrades. They all died for freedom, I doubt they'd bother now!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:40:49

Rotherham Rape gangs (and other northern cities) the six year old little white girl who had her throat cut and killed in her local park infront of her Mother on Mothering Sunday this year.

The young girls locked in cages and burned alive by ISIS because they refused to become ISIS sex slaves.

The young gay men hung till dead from cranes in the Middle East. Women stoned to death in the Middle East. The thousands of Muslims in re-education centres in China..............I could go on.......All Lives Matter

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:41:32

Apologise that should read "The victims of Rotherham......

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jun-20 11:48:59

I have followed the rules for 78 days as have our AC and GC.........why on earth did we bother?

Chewbacca Thu 04-Jun-20 12:00:12

All lives matter is one of the most vacuous, intellectually dishonest, covertly racist phrases used in this context.

Why so suziewoozie?

lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 12:31:27

Barry Gardiner was amongst the protesting crowds apparently, rightly castigated by Lisa Nandy .

I like the purple lights idea WWM2 and think that due to the pandemic it was a much better idea than people gathering in their thousands all jostling together.Not least because black people are affected so badly by this virus.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 13:22:31

I did say that to DH, lemongrove that many people were being quite foolhardy considering that this virus seemingly affects on black and ethnic minorities more badly..
Appalling pictures, Grannygravy, I am fearful it will lead to another spike and hope that the NHS will be able to cope.

Don't all lives matter, then suziewoozie?
I thought they did.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 13:23:32

Any spikes to come will not just date from the protests but from behaviour over preceding dates as well. The lockdown has been flouted now for a couple of weeks in various places
there have been other threads about those too.

trisher Thu 04-Jun-20 13:56:30

The desecration of the cenotaph is a myth being spread on line. You have to wonder why anyone would do that don't you? Or perhaps not. It's obvious really www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/police-dispel-rumours-cenotaph-being-18360724

SueDonim Thu 04-Jun-20 14:00:58

Saying ‘all lives matter’ is considered derogatory because it is refusing to accept the particular problems that affect people who are black. It is detracting from their concerns and minimises the racial injustice they endure.

This is new territory to me and I am trying to learn about it. I found this article useful to understand the intricacies of what it means.

www.vox.com/2016/7/11/12136140/black-all-lives-matter

trisher Thu 04-Jun-20 15:53:03

Thanks SueDonim for posting that. I knew that the term wasn't acceptable but those reasons made things so much clearer. I think being willing to learn is something we should all do.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion