Gransnet forums

News & politics

Black Lives Matter versus All Lives Matter

(346 Posts)
SueDonim Sun 07-Jun-20 18:15:16

There has been much talk about the slogan ‘Black Lives Matter‘ with many people saying instead that all lives matter. I think it’s a good topic for debate and to gain understanding.

To me, saying ‘all lives matter‘ is to deny that racism exists. It denies the experience of many black people who are not treated as white people would have been. Think of the man who achieved the highest office in America. Would anyone have raised the ‘birther’ question had Barack Obama been white? Saying all lives matter also closes down debate on the issue, suggesting that the very particular problems black communities experience are no different from that of anyone else therefore we shouldn’t talk or do anything about it.

The term ‘black lives matter‘ is not saying that only black lives matter. It means that black lives matter as much as other lives, whether that is in the undue violence meted out to the black community, the discrimination they face in healthcare , employment and housing and in many, many other ways.

I’ll put a link on the next post, explaining why saying all lives matter is wrong. If you only look at one item, please watch All Plates Matter. It sums it up in two minutes. Be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Anniebach Sat 13-Jun-20 18:31:31

Police were injured during the first London demo

paddyanne Sat 13-Jun-20 19:25:36

That wasn't a demo ,that was thugs are us out defending other thugs on plinths .History needs to be taught warts and all ,Churchill WAS a racist ,its strangely missing from most history books and not taught in schools.His statue like other racists and slave traders/owners etc shouldn't be out there without plaques describing their actions.

growstuff Sat 13-Jun-20 21:06:12

Whitewave There is a lot of phone footage of the man who spat at a young woman in that Hyde Park incident. He's clearly identifiable, so hopefully somebody will ID him and he'll be prosecuted.

Collectively, they appear to have the intelligence of a turnip.

growstuff Sat 13-Jun-20 21:07:21

One of the thugs said to a reporter he was out to defend the reputation of the person who killed Hitler. Doh!

Starblaze Sun 14-Jun-20 11:02:12

There are crowds of anti BLM protesters changing

"we're racist and that's the way we like it"

I'm horrified at what is going on right now.

Ashamed to be British.

Starblaze Sun 14-Jun-20 11:03:24

Chanting not changing. Although protesting against BLM was pretty obviously racist, I was shocked to hear them say it

Eloethan Sun 14-Jun-20 18:28:07

Starblaze Yes, it is dreadful but I'm not shocked by it.

Actually, I think it's rather useful that these louts (sorry if that description offends some people on here) are actually confirming what people like Trump dispute. They are not "patriots" or "very fine people" - they are ignorant thugs and, self-acknowledged racists, who hide behind phony outrage in an attempt to justify their hatred and violence.

GG65 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:56:46

No Eloethan I am not shocked by it either.

At least we now know why they are so against the removal of statues. What else would they urinate on?

Tooting29 Mon 15-Jun-20 06:57:32

Mindless ignorant idiots out for a fight, mostly white males, probably beered up on cheap lager. It reminds me of the mindless football hooligans of the 1970s. I wouldn't give them air time or allow them to protest

MaizieD Mon 15-Jun-20 08:48:35

What shocks (and angers) me is the fact that we have been taken out of the EU on the strength of votes from those turnip brains and their ilk.

These are 'The People' that the tories have been pandering to for the last 4 years... The ones who knew exactly what they were voting for.

Dinahmo Tue 16-Jun-20 21:44:23

Johnson has said that you can't change history and yet his predecessors have doen just that. There is a shocking article in the Guardian by George Monbiot about the atrocities committed by the Brits in Africa post WW2. For example, concentration camps built in Kenya which housed 1 million Kikuyu people who were trying to reclaim their land. The British authorities, including a former governor Sir Evelyn Baring, were complicit in covering up those events. Baring,by the way, is the grandfather of one Mary Wakefield who is no stranger to making up stories.

Smileless2012 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:06:11

Shaun King a racial justice advocate, has called for all statues depicting Jesus as white and of European descent should be removed immediately. He's said "yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus, should also come down. They are a form of white supremacy. Always have been."

Archbishop Justin Welby has tweeted with 4 paintings in which the artist of each has portrayed Jesus in accordance with his own ethnicity.

He say "you see a black Jesus, Chinese Jesus, a middle Eastern Jesus which is of course the most accurate and a Fijian Jesus. Jesus is portrayed in as many ways as there are cultures, languages and understandings".

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-20 12:16:20

Can we expect church windows to be smashed too.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 12:22:48

So many things were done in the past, has anyone ever read about what the Belgians did in the Congo?Small children had hands or feet chopped off and that was just the children......
Yes, history should be acknowledged ( few countries get away with having no shameful episodes) especially European ones .

There were many thugs out in force on the streets recently, and although I tend to agree with you Tooting all peaceful protests/ demos etc have to be allowed, it’s the mark of a liberal country.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 12:24:26

Smileless2012

Shaun King a racial justice advocate, has called for all statues depicting Jesus as white and of European descent should be removed immediately. He's said "yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus, should also come down. They are a form of white supremacy. Always have been."

Archbishop Justin Welby has tweeted with 4 paintings in which the artist of each has portrayed Jesus in accordance with his own ethnicity.

He say "you see a black Jesus, Chinese Jesus, a middle Eastern Jesus which is of course the most accurate and a Fijian Jesus. Jesus is portrayed in as many ways as there are cultures, languages and understandings".

Shaun King is an idiot then.

hugshelp Mon 29-Jun-20 12:26:45

I do actually think, 'black lives matter too' would work better (not that it's my right to decide that at all, but trying to be objective and look at what is happening) because
a) whenever someone stands up and says they need more help, right, recognition, pay, whatever it might, someone else always stands up and says, 'what about me' That someone is often trying to hang on to the 'more' that they already have but it just gives them a stick to beat you with
b) it makes it crystal clear it's not about taking anything from anyone, just asking for the same
c) it reinforces the truth of the situation, that to some people black lives are not worth as much as white

I see no problem at all with having a black Jesus, a Chinese Jesus, etc, this is a good thing. But I think advocating removal of ALL white ones is equally problematic. Far too often PC thinking goes too far and stokes up racism. Especially when the press gets hold of it and tells us things like Christmas is banned in a predominantly Christian country (this may no longer be the case but I think there's still white Christians who would like SOME white Jesus statues too)

Smileless2012 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:16:33

It could happen couldn't it Annie.

It's PC thinking going too far *hugshelp. There's a huge difference between re setting the balance and tipping the scales to the other extreme.

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-20 15:03:05

Yes it could happen Smileless

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 15:48:13

Jesus could very well have been black. He was born in the Middle East, so he would almost certainly have had brown skin and had Middle Eastern features.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 15:48:54

Well, he was Jewish!!

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 15:51:31

PS. Shaun King is also a Christian pastor.

growstuff Mon 29-Jun-20 15:53:23

Callistemon

Well, he was Jewish!!

Judaism is a religion. Jews have all sorts of skin colours, including black in East Africa. Ethnically, he was Middle Eastern, so it would be surprising if he had white skin.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jun-20 15:56:45

I'm not arguing.

Being of the House of David he was probably not of East African origins.

Ethnically he was Middle Eastern well, yes. Most likely like a Semite of Galilee.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 16:05:11

Ah, you really know your New Testament Callistemon?
Yes,
Jesus would have looked middle eastern.It doesn’t matter if any ethnic group choose to portray him as they look themselves ( as long as they don’t start asking for a certain colour to be taken away....as Shaun King is doing).He can have whatever he likes in his own church.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jun-20 16:06:47

I have a good friend who is Welsh, and she gets asked which country she is from all the time.?She has Welsh dark looks complete with black hair.