Gransnet forums

News & politics

Black Lives Matter versus All Lives Matter

(346 Posts)
SueDonim Sun 07-Jun-20 18:15:16

There has been much talk about the slogan ‘Black Lives Matter‘ with many people saying instead that all lives matter. I think it’s a good topic for debate and to gain understanding.

To me, saying ‘all lives matter‘ is to deny that racism exists. It denies the experience of many black people who are not treated as white people would have been. Think of the man who achieved the highest office in America. Would anyone have raised the ‘birther’ question had Barack Obama been white? Saying all lives matter also closes down debate on the issue, suggesting that the very particular problems black communities experience are no different from that of anyone else therefore we shouldn’t talk or do anything about it.

The term ‘black lives matter‘ is not saying that only black lives matter. It means that black lives matter as much as other lives, whether that is in the undue violence meted out to the black community, the discrimination they face in healthcare , employment and housing and in many, many other ways.

I’ll put a link on the next post, explaining why saying all lives matter is wrong. If you only look at one item, please watch All Plates Matter. It sums it up in two minutes. Be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

SueDonim Mon 08-Jun-20 01:42:31

Institutional racism in the UK? We could start with Stephen Lawrence then move on to other areas as mentioned in this link such as education, employment/workplace, and Windrush. Healthcare, too.

www.independent.co.uk/voices/black-history-month-racism-institutional-britain-slavery-education-employment-culture-colonialism-a9170841.html

Furret Mon 08-Jun-20 06:26:13

Romesh Ranganathan opened his programme last night making just this point and he made it well.

Rosalyn69 Mon 08-Jun-20 07:25:10

I may be the dim one here. Maybe I’m missing the point. I know very little about racism. I know I worked in a hospital where my boss and most of his junior doctors were BAME and Chinese or mixed race. We were a team. We all had kids. We all had the same domestic issues. We laughed at the same things. My boss said he was black and I was pink.
All lives matter.
Rioting and destruction won’t solve anything.

Furret Mon 08-Jun-20 07:31:47

Seeing the present crisis as one of ‘rioting and destruction’ rather than the overwhelming peaceful protests that are the reality says it all about your prospective.

Franbern Mon 08-Jun-20 09:05:17

ellenvanin, - you are so very very wrong. It is only because we now talk about so many sad inequalities that things are (very slowly) starting to change.

Of course, these things must be talked about and aired. Did not talking about the Concentration Camps, prevent them from happening? Did not talking about domestic abuse, peideophilia, sexual abuse at home (none of these were talked about or mentioned in any way for a long time) mean that they did not happen? Of course not.

MadGran, thanks for that little cartoon - it sum it up so very well.

Not able to actually go to the demo in Bristol yesterday (thought it probably not advisable at present times), but accompanied my daughter who drove two of her teenage children there as they wished to go ( so very proud of them). We parked up nearby and it was really wonderful to see so very many young people and young families, all racial groups, going to this. All masked up (back in my day, if you wore a mask at any demonstration you would have been automatically arrested!!), good social distancing most of the time. I was so grateful to all of them as they have given me the first real hope for the future this year.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 08-Jun-20 09:26:41

The ugly face of racism.

moonbeames Mon 08-Jun-20 09:40:01

Yes black lives matter is true. I think that we need to remember at this time with such a dreadful virus loose on our planet that we must remember that black lives and white lives matter. It is important that we all distance ourselves at the moment and try to stamp this thing out. In my opinion it is not the time to be demonstrating on the street. This virus can spread to all of us black or white. I understand why those wish to demonstrate, I get that but we must look at the bigger picture just for now. Just saying!

Eloethan Mon 08-Jun-20 13:25:03

Rosalyn69 I would not call you dim but you are certainly missing the point, or perhaps trying to circumvent it.

Of course, there are many examples of people of all races working together amicably and respectfully. However, there are also many examples of people being targeted, verbally and physically, because of their colour, both in the workplace and in public spaces. Many non-white people (and people being perceived as being "foreign") are reluctant to raise issues of discrimination for fear of being labelled "troublemakers", "over-sensitive", or of having a "chip on their shoulders". There is also the casual dismissal of discriminatory practices in recruitment and employment by invoking the offensive "playing the race card" accusation.

As to the protests and the lack of social distancing, it says how strongly people feel that they must demonstrate their outrage, hurt and solidarity, risking their own safety.

Let's face it, many people have ignored the rules for far more trivial reasons. And, when it was quite clear, from the news coming out of other countries, that mass gatherings were a risk to public health, this government allowed the Cheltenham Festival - with an attendance figure of around 250,000 - and the Liverpool/Madrid football match - with an attendance figure of around 54,000 - to go ahead, presumably in the name of profit.

Rosalyn69 Mon 08-Jun-20 13:57:45

I’m not sure it shows that people feel strongly. Some might but I’d wager a lot wanted an outing and a chance to make a ruckus. After all lock down is pretty dull.
There were peaceful and socially distanced rallies which got the point across better than ranting and shouting and destroying property.
And apart from a lot of older biddies like us arguing the toss and calling each other names I’m not sure what lasting effect it will have.

SueDonim Mon 08-Jun-20 14:17:05

Rosalyn surely you must know about Stephen Lawrence? His killers were racist and the police force that investigated it was also found to be racist. Of course there will be areas in life such as you describe where everyone gets along well but Your experience is exactly that - your experience. Other people have different experiences but you don’t seem to be able to recognise that.

From what I saw on tv of the marches, by and large they have been peaceful. The vast majority of people didn’t take part in any violence or illegality.

As for what the marches will achieve - already in Minneapolis they have decided to disband their police department and start again from scratch to hopefully rebuild a better system. www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52960227

If the protests mean that people start to look at things in a different light, then it will have been worth it.

Jishere Mon 08-Jun-20 14:26:13

Stephen Lawerence wasn't institutional that was very much a racial killing. Which his mum has campaigned tirelessly to bring those responsible to prison. Doesn't make it right far from it.
Rosalyn I'm with you on this I grew up with all ethnic groups. I know lots have gone on to have great careers. It doesn't mean to say they haven't come across racislist but to my knowledge jealousy and bullying and some fighting with the other schools was what went on in my school.
I know police work hard with schools because of the attraction of gangs, whose members have to have an iniation test to join said gang this could envolve stabbing or raping.
I think the UK is further forward than parts of America but no means perfect. (Parts that I know)
And of course the media/social media will broadcast the bad parts of the demonstration rather then how peaceful most of it was with social distancing.

Rosalyn69 Mon 08-Jun-20 15:09:21

I do recognise other people have different experiences. And yes I remember Stephen Lawrence.
Yes the protests in Minneapolis have had an effect but it was their issue to deal with.
Let’s hope the protests will have been worth it if there’s a rise in infection rates.
And what did destroying a statue of man who has been dead 200 years achieve? 15 minutes of fame on TV.

Nonnie Mon 08-Jun-20 15:19:05

Why is no one offering a solution? On the lunchtime news they interviewed 2 well known black people and asked them what do but mostly they talked about the cause. The only suggestion by one of them is that we all be taught the history but the other thought that was wrong because then black people would think of themselves as coming from slave stock.

The UK has come a long way in my lifetime but what should we do now. I'm only talking about UK, I see the US as a backward country in this area.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jun-20 15:33:24

I agree Nonny
I can’t see what more can be done here, we have laws in place for racial/equality/ hate speech etc and there has been no end of books, programmes and education generally to promote racial harmony.
You can’t force people to change their thoughts, but you can have the right protections in place, and be prepared to
enforce them when black people report a racial crime.
I would like to hear what more is possible....but in the UK I doubt there is anything else more.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jun-20 15:36:06

Just think of all the white people joining this protest, so very many.If it was just a protest at what happened in Minneapolis that’s one thing, but for those demanding changes, I would say ‘changes to what’?

AGAA4 Mon 08-Jun-20 15:44:11

Ignorance is the problem. If children are taught from infancy to accept each other and that teaching is carried on it would help to stop racism.

It is happening more and more I believe but needs to go much further.

Both my daughters have best friends who are black or Asian.

My grandchildren also love and accept their 'friends of colour'.

As these people are dear friends they do not understand racism and are appalled by it.

Education at school and in the home is the only way to stop racism going forward.

almostelderly Mon 08-Jun-20 15:44:19

Has anyone mentioned the Rochdale Grooming Gang? The gang of predominantly Pakistani men who were terrorising vulnerable, white working class girls, young girls with no voice? The police were reluctant to pursue the investigation into the gang, the authorities were afraid of being branded 'racist'.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Jun-20 15:52:02

Almostelderly, I mentioned that on another thread with Afzal Nazir having done his best as prosecuting barrister who got no back-up from our police.

Madgran77 Mon 08-Jun-20 15:55:36

If people stopped talking about racism there wouldn't be any such thing !

Could you explain that for me please? I am reading it as if we ignore something/don't talk about it it isn't there?? Is that what you meant?

EllanVannin Mon 08-Jun-20 15:56:52

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity. Which is what I was taught in 1950 in school.

Didn't get very far with this motto did we ?

Madgran77 Mon 08-Jun-20 15:58:34

Has anyone mentioned the Rochdale Grooming Gang? The gang of predominantly Pakistani men who were terrorising vulnerable, white working class girls, young girls with no voice? The police were reluctant to pursue the investigation into the gang, the authorities were afraid of being branded 'racist'.

I'm unclear what this has got to do with the BLM discussion?

paddyanne Mon 08-Jun-20 16:01:04

"what about" and thats the reason the Black community is negleted in so many ways.Its like someone with breast cancer campaining an dbeing told whats so special about breast cancer what about all the other cancers aren't they important too.
Black lives matter almostelderly simply because for centiries they were treated as second class citizens,sold on markets to "owners" who used the women and worked the men to death..thousnads of families who dont know where they came from or what their real name is because they were compelled to take the owners name.
Yes there has been some improvement especially in the past half a decade but not nearly enough .
Yes the Rochdale case was disgraceful but not because of "racism" because for the main part the police believed that under age girls were capable of being sex workers and didn't see them as being abused If they had listened istead of blaming these vulnerable girls it would have been an open and closed case ..sadly they continued to blame the victims ...as you and many on here are doing with your "all lives matter" nonsense.
NO one is saying all lives dont matter ,but now while the focus is on Black lives then they must be given precedence.Its what humane grown ups do .

Starblaze Mon 08-Jun-20 16:04:56

People are very short sighted on this one. Of course all lives matter, that's a given, it doesn't actually need saying. What needs saying, right now, said and heard, is that black lives matter.

Black lives matter and we will not let racism take those lives away.

Summerlove Mon 08-Jun-20 16:10:25

EllanVannin

If people stopped talking about racism there wouldn't be any such thing !

That’s hilariously naive.

Also, dangerously wrong.

Starblaze Mon 08-Jun-20 16:10:40

And seeing as we are predominantly women, you would think we are all equipped to understand this one. Now that our Husbands aren't allowed to beat us, or take sex from us without our permission, or keep us at home with no say in our own lives.

What would women have said back then? When we wanted equality? Would we have tolerated men saying "all sexes matter" when they had not suffered as we had?

No we would not, because we wanted to matter just as much as men, they already mattered.

And are we there completely? Do we have absolute equality? No, no we don't and we won't give up until we do.

No matter how much the situation for black people nay have improved, it's not there yet and we should support them until they are.