Gransnet forums

News & politics

A no-deal brexit would destroy British business

(75 Posts)
varian Thu 11-Jun-20 12:58:06

British firms do not have the resilience to cope with a no-deal Brexit after the battering of the coronavirus crisis, according to the outgoing boss of industry body the CBI.

Carolyn Fairbairn said a CBI member had likened a no-deal to "setting the shed on fire" while the house was in flames.

Brexit trade negotiations have not been going well between the UK and the EU.

A government spokesperson said the UK wanted to reach an agreement with the EU this year.

Dame Carolyn Fairbairn told the BBC that any buffers to cope with the additional cost and planning of an exit from the EU customs union and single market without a deal had been exhausted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

"The resilience of British business is absolutely on the floor," she said.

"Every penny of cash that had been stored up, all the stockpiles prepared have been run down.

"The firms that I speak to have not a spare moment to plan for a no trade deal Brexit at the end of the year - that is the common sense voice that needs to find its way into these negotiations."

Hetty58 Fri 12-Jun-20 20:25:40

www.ft.com/content/b809685c-77de-11ea-af44-daa3def9ae03

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jun-20 21:14:35

When did the CBI ever get anything right?
? ?
They wanted us to join the euro.

Remain voters are hopeful of a delay - an extension of the transition phase.

It’s not going happen. Sorry Nicola Sturgeon (Remainer).

Let’s just get this done.

Jaberwok Fri 12-Jun-20 22:01:34

Amen to that!

MerylStreep Fri 12-Jun-20 22:15:55

The uk have officially confirmed to the eu that there will be no extension to the trasition period ????

MaizieD Fri 12-Jun-20 22:33:49

If it weren't for the fact that I and my friends and family will be dragged willynilly into this complete catastrophe I'd be quite happy to order the popcorn and sit back and watch all your dreams not happening.

Lucca Fri 12-Jun-20 22:36:48

Kapitan. Excellent,incisive,well -informed,balanced,mature,original,cogently- argued,meaningful post.....not.

vegansrock Sat 13-Jun-20 05:29:04

Brexit beleavers will take any damage to the country to save their face. They don’t care about anyone other than themselves- so it damages everyone- who cares? Blue passports are so much more important

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 06:52:43

Lobotomy springs to mind.

I can’t think of any other reason, that or they are all going to make shed loads of money on shorting.

There is absolutely no other reason to want this next crises.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Jun-20 07:26:25

It’s not about ‘saving face’. It’s the culmination of expectation after many different votes which have proved that Brexit IS what the majority of the people who bothered to vote, want.

It’s time to deliver it now.
Thank you.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 07:27:13

Why

Urmstongran Sat 13-Jun-20 07:38:11

Nope. Not again. I’m sick of explaining my reasons ad nauseum. Perhaps check the back catalogues on the topic?

Good try though!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 07:40:51

A C Grayling #FBPE? #Reform #Rejoin Fish
@acgrayling
·
33s
Comment from Bloomberg

Why extension?
@bloomberg
"Now Britain faces among the heaviest financial tolls from the pandemic of any major economy, and the deepest recession in 300 years. In the background is the specter of compounding the pain by failing to reach a trade deal with the European Union".

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 07:42:57

The New European

“Ministers have failed to recruit enough customs agents, failed to put in place the necessary infrastructure and now their plans are in utter disarray."

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 07:44:28

As I mentioned previously,

When faced with a much more powerful negotiator it shows intelligence to have your ducks in order first.

Absolutely no chance with this rabble.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Jun-20 07:45:59

Annoying to some to think (a) it’s gonna happen and (b) things will be fine.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Jun-20 07:55:51

ditto Urmstongran

vegansrock Sat 13-Jun-20 08:05:34

Well if you think things will be fine is as best as you can get - I think things were supposed to be so much better? Obviously don’t care about anyone else and the harm it will do to business, agriculture, jobs etc. Who cares it’s what a minority want and the rich elite are encouraging it. Great.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 08:12:13

Once the full implication is apparent on what brexiters voted for it will ruin this country for a generation and they will never be forgiven.

Urmstongran Sat 13-Jun-20 08:54:14

It will be fine because the coronovirus must have some impact. But then, so many other countries are struggling with new rules and high debt, inevitable consequences, that it’s more of a level playing field in some regards. Then things will surge forward in the U.K. and we will do so much better. This, I truly believe.

Not saying so just to annoy!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 09:09:40

The virus has impacted NOW.

Our economy had dropped by 10% from January to March as the Brexit effect began to take hold.

In April it dropped far more than the economists were forecasting

A whopping 20.4%.

We still have May to go.

That is why the rabble of a government are so keen to risk lives and restart the economy because they know that come January when we are in for another massive hit, and they are trying to mitigate its effect.

Of course they think that they will be able to blame covid but anyone with more than two brain cells will look at other countries and compare. Just as we can with the way the virus is being dealt with now.

growstuff Sat 13-Jun-20 09:22:36

On what do you base your belief Urmstongran?

MaizieD Sat 13-Jun-20 09:31:07

Then things will surge forward in the U.K. and we will do so much better.

Perhaps you could give us some detail on how this 'surge' will be effected, Ug?

This, I truly believe.

This is Peter Pan level stuff. Brexit will be wonderful if every one believes in it in the face of all the evidence stacking up to the contrary.

Jabberwok Sat 13-Jun-20 10:48:39

Luxembourg now issuing threats demanding the same fishing rights as before!! Have other countries been similarly threatened when negotiating a trade deal with the EU?,! Japan for example,Canada?!! A deal over fishing is perfectly possible, but not going to be achieved by bullying and threats! 40 years of ruling the roost has led to an attitude of entitlement by these arrogant thugs over just about everything and it's high time, like spoilt children,that they were said no to!

Jabberwok Sat 13-Jun-20 10:52:16

I too am convinced that as a nation we will be much better off without the arrogant self serving institution the EU has turned into. A rich boys club!

Deedaa Sat 13-Jun-20 11:11:03

Jabberwok you may not have noticed but we now have the arrogant self serving institution that the British government has turned into. A rich boys club indeed!

And it seems we are now going to take back control of our borders by not controlling our borders because it will be too damaging!!!