Gransnet forums

News & politics

A no-deal brexit would destroy British business

(74 Posts)
varian Thu 11-Jun-20 12:58:06

British firms do not have the resilience to cope with a no-deal Brexit after the battering of the coronavirus crisis, according to the outgoing boss of industry body the CBI.

Carolyn Fairbairn said a CBI member had likened a no-deal to "setting the shed on fire" while the house was in flames.

Brexit trade negotiations have not been going well between the UK and the EU.

A government spokesperson said the UK wanted to reach an agreement with the EU this year.

Dame Carolyn Fairbairn told the BBC that any buffers to cope with the additional cost and planning of an exit from the EU customs union and single market without a deal had been exhausted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

"The resilience of British business is absolutely on the floor," she said.

"Every penny of cash that had been stored up, all the stockpiles prepared have been run down.

"The firms that I speak to have not a spare moment to plan for a no trade deal Brexit at the end of the year - that is the common sense voice that needs to find its way into these negotiations."

GrannyGravy13 Thu 11-Jun-20 13:07:07

Maybe you should write to Monsieur Barnier and ask him to negotiate rather than dictate?

growstuff Thu 11-Jun-20 13:24:26

grin Errrmm! Why should Barnier not expect the UK to stick to what it said?

I don't know the source of your information GrannyGravy. Maybe you could explain exactly what you mean.

yggdrasil Thu 11-Jun-20 13:24:35

M Barnier has given and given, but the rules of the EU cannot be changed just because Johnson wants it so.
If that is what he wants, he should have stayed in the EU and had the power to get it changed.
Brexit was always going to be an economic disaster for the UK, on top of the Covid-19 which is a crash by itself.
We are going to suffer badly for many years.

growstuff Thu 11-Jun-20 13:25:13

Maybe you know more about business than the CBI.

paddyanne Thu 11-Jun-20 13:27:46

I think you'll find M Barnier is working for the countries in his UNION ,thats what normally happens in unions ,they work TOGETHER .Unlike the Westminster government who believes ENGLAND IS the UK!! Thankfully the EU is looking at ways for Scotland to have an extention in the community as leaving will destry our economy .
Thats the SCOTTISH economy where GDP is double that of England and where we export more than we import and have done since records began.We dont want to lose 500 MILLION potential clients

varian Thu 11-Jun-20 13:32:34

M Barnier's position is clear in this video (it dates from six weeks ago but nothing has improved since then)

twitter.com/i/status/1253922939591852032

varian Thu 11-Jun-20 13:36:50

Ed Davey MP, acting LibDem leader:-

" It couldn’t be more serious.Our economy is on its knees.
CBI tweets are clear: firms can’t cope with a No Deal Brexit. Yet when I urged Boris Johnson to extend the transition yesterday, he said “no”

Dangerously irresponsible"

Dinahmo Fri 12-Jun-20 13:07:20

Johnson and the alt right members of the cabinet want the UK to crash out, for reasons unspecified. My own guess is the financial benefits that will accrue to those who are betting on the further collapse of sterling, for example.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 13:11:49

This is the result of a more powerful entity negotiating with a smaller entity. Of course they can are going to flex their muscles.

Brexiters were warned but of course Project Fear was always wheeled out.

More chickens coming home to roost.

quizqueen Fri 12-Jun-20 13:46:43

The EU was trying to run the UK into the ground anyway, enticing companies away from here with offers of grants to settle elsewhere, while asking us to pay for the pleasure of them doing so. We never had a real free trade with them, we paid over 50 million pounds a day to be in their so called 'free' club, while smaller member states pay nothing, and they also want us to pay to leave without taking any of the assets we helped to build up. That sounds like a dictatorship to me.

The EU is terrified of what success the UK may achieve by being out of their grips. It will, indeed, be harder now after this pandemic but that will also apply to most other countries too. The EU don't even want to offer us a deal such as the one negotiated with Canada or Japan or even Mexico or South Korea, but want to try to apply rules to us as if we were still a member state. Thank goodness we were able to get rid of the Remainer biased negotiators whom May installed, that must have been her little joke, I think. Now, jolly on along Oliver Robins and enjoy your knighthood for helping to shaft Britain!

People need to stop moaning about Brexit, which has already been decided, and start buying British produce over other imports, if you do not do so already, to help our companies and farmers to succeed. Try looking on your driveway for a start and, next time you change your car, aim to buy one where some, if not all, of the production is done in this country, or at least look to those brands produced by countries who want to do a satisfactory trade deal with us. So, no need to go to a VW or Renault showroom or a start.

It's no good complaining about British companies not being able to cope if you then go and buy other countries' goods instead.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jun-20 13:55:29

Which is why I voted Remain ! I can just see the EU laughing up their sleeves---and I can't say that I blame them.

vegansrock Fri 12-Jun-20 13:56:17

Well there aren’t many British owned car manufacturers or British made washing machines etc to buy are there. Why should the EU treat us as some special case - remember all the trade deals with Canada, Japan and the like took several years to negotiate and the UK was part of those negotiations, so why we imagine we can just demand special treatment in a few months is beyond me. The EU haven’t changed their stance but the UK government have done U turn after U turn and demonstrated they are not to be trusted when it comes to promising anything. Johnson claimed an oven ready desk which won the elections but that was a barefaced lie.

vegansrock Fri 12-Jun-20 13:58:44

the UK as part of the EU has 700 individual trade deals with other countries. At the rate of one per week it would take 14 years to negotiate replacements , and that would be rapid.

Jabberwok Fri 12-Jun-20 14:07:51

It wasn't the trade deal that was oven ready it was there Brexit withdrawal deal that was oven ready, as indeed it was!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:17:52

CBI-

No deal cannot be an option.

Get a deal!!

MaizieD Fri 12-Jun-20 14:39:34

Jabberwok

Johnson is now reneging on parts of the Withdrawal Agreement. The WA that was worse than May's, but Johnson managed to sell as a triumph.

Do you not fear that if Johnson is known to renege on this deal many other countries will be extremely wary about trying to make any deals with the UK?

Or do you think that hope will triumph over experience and they'll take his lies at face value?

mcem Fri 12-Jun-20 15:27:14

"It will be harder now" - understatement of the year.
Just today the Scottish and Welsh governments asked Westminster to negotiate an extension (which must be done by the end of July).
No discussion.
Just NO delivered by the ghastly Gove.

Confidence in NS's handling of the covid crisis is growing daily and is leading to an upsurge in support for independence from the shackles of England's shambolic and untrustworthy government and the crumbling union that once was the United Kingdom.

vegansrock Fri 12-Jun-20 16:44:18

The EU want Johnson to adhere to the WA- he isn’t,

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 17:06:32

Michael Dougan
@mdouganlpool

Johnson Government confirms no extension to transition period, i.e. effectively heading for No Deal Brexit on 1 Jan 2021. Our job now? Ensure responsibility for dire consequences, of deliberate & ideological decision to pile crisis on top of crisis, lies firmly with neo-Tories.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 17:09:55

Jessica Simor QC

The EU27 now has yet more justification to be really very, very angry with the UK. Our Government has signalled its willingness to inflict harm not just on ourselves but on other nations at a time of global economic distress. We now deserve everything we get.

varian Fri 12-Jun-20 17:21:42

Confidence in Nicola Sturgeon is growing because of her impressive daily performance in addressing the people during this crisis, compared with Johnson's abysmal bumbling ill-informed performance on the few occasions when he deigns to turn up.

We are always being told that Johnson, who went to Eton and Oxford, is so clever because he is very well educated. It seems pretty obvious to many of us that Nicola Sturgeon who attended state Scottish schools and Glasgow University, has benefited from a far better education.

Kapitan Fri 12-Jun-20 19:30:52

Same old remoaners....always remoaning. Get over it losers!

mcem Fri 12-Jun-20 20:15:53

Keep it up kapitan. That's the level of intellect and rational debate that we're looking for to prove our point.

Hetty58 Fri 12-Jun-20 20:24:10

If we'd stayed in the EU, people would be complaining now about the cost of Eurobonds. Being a richer nation, we'd be paying an awful lot, of course.