Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why aren't we proud anymore?

(158 Posts)
dragonfly46 Wed 17-Jun-20 10:05:14

I very rarely post on political threads as quite honestly they often just go nowhere but I have to ask where our proud has gone.

I lived in Europe for nearly 20 years and realised that we are the only nation which is not proud of our country. We constantly criticise and put ourselves down. This leads us open to the same from other nations. You would never hear a Dutchman, German, Frenchman, I could go on, running their country down like we do.

There are many threads on here about how the government have done everything wrong etc but is there one praising our scientists, doctors for discovering a simple drug which my cut Covid deaths by a third. At last we have something of which we should be proud so lets celebrate for once and stop bringing our once proud nation down.

Please do not say it is due to the left, right or even middle politics. This has been going on some time I moved to Europe in 1977 and it was apparent then.

janeainsworth Fri 19-Jun-20 06:22:21

animoosh thanks for putting me right.
My GC live in VA though & I think they do at their school. At 8 & 10 years old I think they probably don’t have a choice.

growstuff Fri 19-Jun-20 07:34:01

Callistemon My MP has a note on her website stating that she will not respond to anybody who isn't a constituent. There's a request for an address when contacting her. Presumably this can be checked against the electoral role. There is no reference to forwarding anything, just that she won't respond.

In fact, she rarely responds to anybody in the constituency. She doesn't live here and seems unaware of local issues. People who have received replies have been sent standard, generic letters. The only time that she ever responds is when there's an opportunity for a photo in the local press. She doesn't hold local surgeries, so anybody "lucky" enough to be granted an interview has to travel to Westminster. She's a junior minister and currently has been given an important brief, but she'll only do what's needed to tick a couple of boxes. No change will happen, I can guarantee that.

She doesn't need to do anything. This constituency has a massive Conservative majority and I can't see that changing.

Sparkling Fri 19-Jun-20 07:47:39

I so agree with original post. We are all responsible for our own actions, but it's easy to blame the government for everything. That other people pick up the pueces for others reckless of bad decisions. I am fed up with the blame culture, everyone's a victim, life throws most of us a bad deal but we get on with it. If you are suffered the loss of a partner and you gave children or have real health issues, of course you need help. We should not be blaming the government for bad life choices we made. I cannot for example, understand why any some women when they change partners, have a child, then moan on about his hard it it us to manage when they are left without a partner, most of us have one or two we can just about afford.
I said to my friends how wonderful it was that the breakthrough in the Covid drug was and why wasn't that a cause for major celebration, but no, it's easier to knock everything. Stop whinging and be responsible for your life. I am proud of my country but we have become too soft afraid to say no to the daftest causes.

growstuff Fri 19-Jun-20 07:51:59

What Covid drug breakthrough? Some other countries have been using it for a while? Well done to the UK for finally catching up.

Kandinsky Fri 19-Jun-20 08:25:09

If you fly the England flag here you’re immediately thought of as racist.
Doesn’t seem to apply in Wales or Scotland - they fly their flags with pride.
It’s very weird.

Kandinsky Fri 19-Jun-20 08:28:13

haha growstuff.
I must admit I wondered what the ‘fantastic breakthrough’ was with using steroids to treat inflammation.
Haven’t we been doing that for years?

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Jun-20 10:08:24

My grandson had "Dex" (Dexamethasone) three years ago in ICU to treat very serious breathing problem/infection.
It wasn't a new drug even then.

Just saying...