Gransnet forums

News & politics

Attempted murder at Tate Modern

(68 Posts)
MawB Fri 26-Jun-20 12:22:40

I do not usually subscribe to the “lock them up and throw away the key” lobby, but this time I think to be “detained at Her Majesty’s pleasure” ie indefinitely is what he deserved.
Surely someone who can do this is unhinged?

A teenager who threw a six-year-old boy from a 10th floor balcony at London's Tate Modern has been jailed for at least 15 years.
Jonty Bravery, 18, of Northolt, planned an attack and targeted young children last August, the prosecution said.
The victim suffered a bleed to the brain and was left with life-changing injuries.
At the Old Bailey, Mrs Justice McGowan said Bravery intended to kill and "almost killed that six-year-old boy"
(From the BBC website)

Smileless2012 Fri 26-Jun-20 12:25:53

It was awful wasn't it MawB I seem to remember that the perpetrator does have mental health issues but if that is not the case, I agree that his detention should be indefinite.

MawB Fri 26-Jun-20 12:28:48

I felt physically sick that day Smileless not least because my D, SIL and GS (then 3) were actually at the Tate that day, but also because I could totally empathise with the vulnerability of any parent/ grandparent with a little one in a public space.

threexnanny Fri 26-Jun-20 12:46:03

I think 'unhinged' is putting it mildly. Fifteen years doesn't seem much when you think of how the little boy will be affected for the rest of his life and the trauma for his family.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Jun-20 12:48:37

He is mentally ill seemingly hearing voices and is Autistic He went straight to the manager and said I think I ve killed someone this obviously isn’t normal behaviour Personally I think the question is who decided he was fit to be out alone as that must be the hinge to this poor child’s dreadful traumatic event I believe that needs fully investigating

Smileless2012 Fri 26-Jun-20 12:49:35

OMG how awful for you Maw to know that members of your family were there. His poor mother and that poor little boy; it doesn't bear thinking about it does it.

sodapop Fri 26-Jun-20 12:52:54

Bravery is suffering from a mental illness but that does not mean he should go unpunished and that the public should not be protected from him. There seemed to be some question as to whether he should go to prison or a secure psychiatric facility.
I've bern out all morning so not caught up with the latest developments.

ginny Fri 26-Jun-20 13:13:53

Yes, he does have mental health issues , unhinged is not a very pleasant word to use.
However it was a terrible thing to happen and people need to be protected. Some of the blame must surely go to those who knew if his problems but had not acted .

eazybee Fri 26-Jun-20 13:15:58

He planned the event, went searching for his victim and fully understood what he was doing.
A report on his behaviour found that it was more typical of psychopathy than autism.
He should never be released, but doubtless he will be.

FarNorth Fri 26-Jun-20 13:17:17

Did anyone know he might have a tendency to do something to harm someone?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jun-20 13:18:25

The most important thing is to protect the general public from Bravery, given his issues this may result in a life time of care and close management.m

humptydumpty Fri 26-Jun-20 13:22:22

He told his care workers he planned to kill someone

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51389881

lemongrove Fri 26-Jun-20 13:24:33

eazybee

He planned the event, went searching for his victim and fully understood what he was doing.
A report on his behaviour found that it was more typical of psychopathy than autism.
He should never be released, but doubtless he will be.

Agreed.
I do hope people won’t just see the word ‘autism’.....they have a hard enough time as it is.
That poor child, and his parents sad

quizqueen Fri 26-Jun-20 13:25:52

From what I saw on the news, he researched and planned to do this himself so he could be locked away, so he does need that to happen, indefinitely. Why is someone's life only worth 15 years! Although the child did not die, he may never regain what he had before.

It is doubtful that any type of care in the community is ever going to change this perpetrator's behaviour so the general public need to be protected from him. I am also very much in favour of the death penalty for premeditated murder.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Jun-20 13:35:42

I read a little bit and totally agree this young man is a huge danger to society and should go from his 15 years in prison to a secure hospital
He was living with two carers and was not supposed to be out alone ....so whose responsible for that? Who was supplying this care ? He had supposedly told people he was going to kill someone He was known to throw things out the windows
There is a lot of responsibility on someone’s hands

Is this an ongoing case as regards who was responsible for his being out alone ir does it stop with this trial and verdict ?

FarNorth Fri 26-Jun-20 13:36:51

From that BBC report, it sounds as if he should have been supervised when out in public so the company responsible for his care were at fault.
They will claim that they were supporting his independence, of course.
I have no confidence in the Care Commission to reach any useful outcome.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Jun-20 13:38:01

I don’t agree quizqueen I will never agree to the death penalty for anyone but no he shouldn’t be in the larger public he needs a secure hospital when his sentence is over

MawB Fri 26-Jun-20 13:39:21

I do apologise if the word “unhinged” has offended.
I meant to express abnormal thought processes, an abrogation of responsibility, psychopathic tendencies but largely aggravated by mental health issues. I find it hard to accept that anybody who does a thing like that can be entirely sane in the commonly accepted sense of the word, yet he must have been judged accountable for his actions and therefore not technically what a layperson would deem “insane”.

ginny Fri 26-Jun-20 13:48:41

Apology accepted, thank you.

MawB Fri 26-Jun-20 14:05:12

ginny

Apology accepted, thank you.

smile
Thanks Ginny

growstuff Fri 26-Jun-20 15:45:08

News reports state he's been sentenced to a minimum of 15 years. In reality, that possibly does mean life - probably in a secure hospital.

tickingbird Fri 26-Jun-20 15:50:31

I read that he was supervised but that he gave his ‘minders’ the slip. He wanted to be famous. I don’t agree with the death penalty but there are an awful lot of questions to be answered. I dare say “lessons will be learned”.

tickingbird Fri 26-Jun-20 15:52:30

My sympathies lie with that poor child and his family. The boy’s suffering continues and the terror of such an act happening to your child in front of you just can’t be imagined.

sodapop Fri 26-Jun-20 15:54:49

I am so tired of hearing that now meaningless phrase trotted out tickingbird
Lessons never seem to be learned do they ?

Iam64 Fri 26-Jun-20 17:00:27

This young man had caused fear in his family which is why he was living in a unit with 24 hour carers. Two were with him but he got away from their supervision. He is a psychopath with no remorse or likelihood of rehabilitation. His life sentence will be spent I expect somewhere like Broadmore.
There was a proposal, possibly during the last labour government, that a diagnosis of psychopathy could lead to life long incarceration. This young man would be one of a small number who remain a danger to others.
That poor child and his parents, to live with this wicked attack, the horror and life changing injuries to their son