Gransnet forums

News & politics

Institutional racism in the police?

(569 Posts)
trisher Sat 27-Jun-20 09:31:51

The news about the murdered sisters in London, the police's first lack of action then the photographs taken at the scene must have shocked everyone. The dignified and measured interview their mother has given couldn't fail to impress. So is she right can these photographs be compared with those taken at lynchings in the US? And is this the real proof that there is still racism in the police?

tickingbird Thu 02-Jul-20 08:22:42

The young man arrested has now been charged with the murders and named.

welbeck Thu 02-Jul-20 18:19:31

we definitely ought not to comment further on the case.

lemongrove Thu 02-Jul-20 20:58:45

Why do you keep,saying that welbeck ?

Good news that somebody has been arrested and charged,
Danyal Hussein aged 18 from London.What a terrible act on his part, but some sort of closure for the sisters families.

suziewoozie Thu 02-Jul-20 21:53:35

Your post lemon explains why.

welbeck Sun 05-Jul-20 02:44:24

because of the law.
prejudicial comment may interfere with the administration of justice.
comment at 20:58:45 is prejudicial.
the following is an extract from the CPS guidance;
Section 1 of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 sets out and defines “the strict liability rule”. This provides that it is a contempt to publish any matter which creates a substantial risk of serious prejudice or impediment to the course of justice in legal proceedings, irrespective of the intention behind the publication.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Jul-20 05:49:59

Lind Ford Christie posted this.

Furret Sun 05-Jul-20 07:11:37

police smash Ryan Colaco’s car window on way back from TV interview about police racism

You really couldn’t make it up. Another example of targeting a black man for no reason - note the generic lie that they thought they could smell marijuana!

Furret Sun 05-Jul-20 07:15:05

The arrest of that 18 year old might have brought some ‘closure’ (stupid word) had not the family always having to live with the fact that police officers thought it acceptable to take selfies with their dead. And pass the photos around.

Sick.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-Jul-20 11:05:45

I’ve just watched the film footage of Lindford Christie’s athletes.

The police are out of control.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 09:17:45

Another film footage of a chap driving home after being on TV talking about institutional racism in the police forces and who was stopped by the police, and had his car window smashed by the police.

They are out of control.

Are they being dis iplined for this behaviour?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 06-Jul-20 09:29:01

The Police are out of control. Rather a sweeping statement Whitewavemark2 there are bad apples in all walks of life, Officers found to be at fault should be sacked and/or where applicable prosecuted.

There are many thousands of good hard working and caring Police Officers who carry out their duties diligently, let's not forget that they put their lives in danger to protect the general public.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 09:39:53

A lot of bad apples in a barrel infects the good apples and turns them rotten.

There needs to be an investigation into exactly what is going on.

MawB Mon 06-Jul-20 09:46:14

Have we all read this from late June?
A black nurse on her way home from her shift (yes for the NHS which the government wanted us all out clapping for yesterday) stopped and treated like a criminal - hands up any white middle class person who has shared her experience?

Neomi Bennett: Black nurse 'scared' by police arrest
A black nurse pulled over by police who drove in front of her in a "hard stop" operation, has spoken about the impact of being arrested and held overnight in a cell.
Police officers stopped Neomi Bennett in 2019 because, they said, her front windows were tinted too dark.
She was convicted of obstructing a police officer, but prosecutors later decided not to challenge her appeal.
Ms Bennett, who was awarded the British Empire Medal for services to nursing, is now taking legal action as she says she was targeted because of her race
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: "The South West Basic Command Unit Professional Standards team is currently assessing a complaint in relation to this incident.
Due to the complaint, we cannot go into any more detail at this time, however, Sally Benatar, SW BCU Commander, has recently been in contact with Neomi Bennett and has put her in touch with the local Independent Advisory Group chair to discuss her experiences with police."

MawB Mon 06-Jul-20 09:54:16

And this

Two black athletes trained by former Olympic champion Linford Christie who were stopped and handcuffed by police officers while with their three-month-old son are considering legal action .
Video of the incident in Maida Vale, west London, on Saturday, posted by Christie on Twitter, showed officers telling the occupants of the vehicle, Ricardo dos Santos and Bianca Williams, they were going to be searched, while the obviously distressed Williams said repeatedly: “My son is in the car.”
Christie, the most successful British and European sprinter, said officers stopped the athletes outside their home and assaulted the male driver
He called on the Met chief, Cressida Dick, “or anyone else” to justify the officers’ conduct. “Was it the car that was suspicious or the black family in it which led to such a violent confrontation and finally an accusation of the car smelling of weed but refusing to do a roadside drug test?” he wrote.
“This is not the the first time this has happened (second time in two months). And I’m sure it won’t be the last, but this type of abuse of power and institutionalised racism cannot be justified or normalised any longer.”

This is not the U.K. I grew up in and I am both ashamed and frankly worried.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 09:56:40

And me maw

Oopsminty Mon 06-Jul-20 09:58:29

I agree, MawB,

I was surprised that the Met seems to think the treatment of this couple was ok.

It wasn't ok at all.

trisher Mon 06-Jul-20 10:12:02

I think that with the rise of right wing groups around the country we shouldn't be surprised if some police officers are involved in those groups. The question is if the upper ranks of the police service are prepared to clampdown and stop those officers influencing the behaviour of others. If that doesn't happen then it would seem that this is more than just a few officers and is embedded in police forces and particularly in the Met.

maddyone Mon 06-Jul-20 11:15:23

These examples that Maw has brought to our attention are an absolute disgrace and an affront to the human dignity of the people involved.
Meanwhile on Saturday night the police did nothing to stop the illegal gatherings of huge numbers of people who were thronging the streets in Soho and other places, or to break up the throngs of journalists outside the house of DC when we were in full lockdown, nor to prevent thousands of people gathering to riot and protest. It appears they are happy to allow illegal gatherings without doing anything to stop them, but they have picked on innocent individuals going about their business in a totally law abiding way.

Washerwoman Mon 06-Jul-20 13:15:26

I'm not defending the police and hopefully their bodycams will show how they behaved and there will be a full investigation.However on the BBC news website it states the car had blacked out windows and when requested to stop sped off.Then stopped outside their home.How far that was I don't know ,but if the police requested me to stop I would stop immediately.As has happened several times when there's been an incident.Yes I'm white. I don't deny I have no experience of multiple stop and search.And how that must feel.But it seems there was increased police activity due to specific reports in that area.Conversly are they not allowed to request someone to stop because they are black?And if a car with blacked out windows speeds speeds off I know from the experience of a family member the police themselves are in danger.Handcuffs ?Seems disproportianate but we weren't there.Police officers have been run over,dragged to their deaths in recent months.As I say hopefully bodycam footage will clarify.

Iam64 Mon 06-Jul-20 13:22:44

If the reports from the two athletes are true, the police behaved appallingly. The police statement reports the car was seen on the wrong side of the road, that when asked to stop, the car sped off. There couldn't be two more disparate explanation

Maddyone, read the reports and watched some video on line of police attempts to break up the illegal parties in London. The Police were twice driven out of the area, the second time, riot police had been brought in but attacks by gangs, bricks and other objects being thrown at police led to them retreating and presumably accepting the community didn't want policing by consent.

I stress, I'm not defending racist responses, or denying there will be police officers who hold racist views.

Anniebach Mon 06-Jul-20 13:41:44

I am concerned we see bits of videos but not the whole happening . Perhaps the police should make their body camera filming public

lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 13:47:34

It seems that the ‘bad apple’ scenario is widely accepted.....just as it should be, because there are bad, poor, weak people in all professions, and yes they should be weeded out.
Strangely though this doesn’t seem to be accepted about the teaching profession (on GN) ....it is accepted in real life of course.

lemongrove Mon 06-Jul-20 13:50:13

Iam64

If the reports from the two athletes are true, the police behaved appallingly. The police statement reports the car was seen on the wrong side of the road, that when asked to stop, the car sped off. There couldn't be two more disparate explanation

Maddyone, read the reports and watched some video on line of police attempts to break up the illegal parties in London. The Police were twice driven out of the area, the second time, riot police had been brought in but attacks by gangs, bricks and other objects being thrown at police led to them retreating and presumably accepting the community didn't want policing by consent.

I stress, I'm not defending racist responses, or denying there will be police officers who hold racist views.

Yes, sometimes the police do act badly and it should be brought to light.
They also have to deal with the most anti-social and violent people that the rest of society wouldn’t like to even come into contact with.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 14:18:26

lemongrove

Iam64

Yes, sometimes the police do act badly and it should be brought to light.
They also have to deal with the most anti-social and violent people that the rest of society wouldn’t like to even come into contact with.

That’s true. I often wonder if it gives them a warped view of society.

Their training should deal with that though.

I do hope that these issues are dealt with and made clear as our police force has always imo been something to be proud of but lately I’m worried.

Anniebach Mon 06-Jul-20 14:38:46

I too am worried, we only hear one side of these ‘happenings’