Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eat Out to Help Out.

(287 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 08-Jul-20 13:45:09

Not sure how successful it's going to be for our age group.

I believe the discount scheme is only available during the month of August, Monday to Wednesday.

A lot of restaurants in our area (East Cambridgeshire) are closed. When they are up and running it will be the school holidays so I'm not sure I will feel safe eating in a restaurant with a lot of children. That's if we can get a booking in the first place.

Quite a few restaurants around here don't even open on a Monday.

How do we know the cut in VAT will be passed on to the customer?

hmm

varian Fri 10-Jul-20 19:34:23

There is an idea going about that this eat cheap idea is just a way of killing off a few more old folk

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:03:20

Have just arrived home after an early meal at our favourite Indian restaurant, we had a booth for four plus a baby. There were only two other booths occupied, takeaways were flying out, please if you are able, support your local restaurants.

Jane10 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:43:44

Just heard from my son that the restaurant he manages is now fully booked for lunch and dinner for two weeks after they open (not open yet as in Scotland). They're very relieved. He said all the bookings were from regulars. Phew!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:44:21

Jane10

Just heard from my son that the restaurant he manages is now fully booked for lunch and dinner for two weeks after they open (not open yet as in Scotland). They're very relieved. He said all the bookings were from regulars. Phew!

That is really good news ??

dizzyblonde Fri 10-Jul-20 20:50:05

Jane10

Really good news. I’ve found it has been so nice to eat something other than my own cooking.?

Peardrop50 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:56:35

Jane10

Really good news, it has inspired me and I've just talked Mr P in to going for a meal in our local seaside fish bar next week end.

lemongrove Fri 10-Jul-20 22:08:20

GrannyGravy13

Have just arrived home after an early meal at our favourite Indian restaurant, we had a booth for four plus a baby. There were only two other booths occupied, takeaways were flying out, please if you are able, support your local restaurants.

What’s the name of this place....I would love a baby.??

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 07:11:42

GG13 and that’s exactly it.

Like the poster on another thread who walked out of her hairdresser because it didn’t feel safe and they were clearly not following guidelines, the same will apply to restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. If we feel they are safe, we will go there.

The ball is in their court.

annsixty Sat 11-Jul-20 09:15:32

My GD and I are going to our favourite Italian restaurant on Sunday, it will be the first time out for me since March 15th.
This group has 3 restaurants all local to Manchester.
They reported that last Saturday, the first day of opening, 270 booked in diners didn’t turn up, with no phone call cancelling.
This was an enormous blow to them.
Very unfair, if you don’t feel entirely sure, don’t book.

Jane10 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:51:16

It's a real blight on restaurants. 'No shows' can be devastating for small places. Food bought, other bookers turned away, staff paid etc.
It's such a problem that the fancy Michelin star restaurants near us started taking credit card numbers when people booked. It turns out that people would make advanced reservations for several places on the one night then seeing where they actually fancied going. So inconsiderate and unfair. Bad enough for these posh places but devastating for smaller family run restaurants.

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 14:01:04

When I first found out about the practice of multiple bookings at the higher end, I was truly shocked. I don’t blame the increasing number who take credit card details but what a pity it’s come to that.