Gransnet forums

News & politics

Leavers. Were you absolutely clear that a no deal Brexit would mean job losses?

(192 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 11-Jul-20 13:10:45

Because Andrea Leadsome says that it was made clear before the referendum.

Now. it might be the forgetfulness of old age but I don't even remember anything about 'no deal' Brexit until T May brought up the subject, post referendum.

So, this is not a 'stirring' question but a plea for information.

a) Did you even contemplate 'no deal'?

and

b), if you did, were you clear that it would mean job losses?

Here she is:

twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1281879602995048451

(It's perfectly safe to follow the link, BTW)

eazybee Sat 11-Jul-20 17:13:14

Yes. I heard it was a possibility, but I had already considered that by myself. Do you seriously think it wasn't discussed?
(By the way, it is Leadsom. So important to be accurate, don't you think?)

Dinahmo Sat 11-Jul-20 17:13:48

MayBee70

I remember being told that Turkey were about to join the EU. And something about a EU army. And that companies such as Nissan had no intention of leaving this country if leave won. And that we held all the cards.

That was because a certain BJ had been lobbying the EU on behalf of Turkey before he switched from Remain to Brexit. There was never any chance of Turkey joining because they met only 1 of the 30 or so criteria.

ladymuck Sat 11-Jul-20 17:17:31

We were warned that there would be a transition period, during which jobs might be lost while the country adjusted. This was in the short term. However, the long-term benefits would be worth it.
What is the point of this question? Looking for an excuse to have another go at those who voted to Leave?

GillT57 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:22:01

QQ although I agree with you about buying British produced goods, and food it is not always possible. My aim is to reduce air miles, nothing to do with the EU by the way. But, back to the question; I certainly do not remember there being any warnings about job losses, in fact the contrary. I do however, remember anyone who dared to point out possible problems was dismissed as being part of 'Project Fear' and I fully expect all job losses to be blamed on covid19 rather than than the sun lit uplands of post Brexit Britain.

MaizieD Sat 11-Jul-20 17:38:40

What is the point of this question? Looking for an excuse to have another go at those who voted to Leave?

I told you in my OP, eazybee. I just wanted to know what Leavers could remember about being told (or not), in the campaigning period, of the possibility of there being a no deal which would involve job losses.

It was in no way at all intended to be a goady thread.

MaizieD Sat 11-Jul-20 17:40:29

OOh, sorry, got the wrong person. My last was for ladymuck

@eazybee I thought it was held to be rude to correct other poster's mistakes?

biba70 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:40:42

Not having a go but ''This was in the short term. However, the long-term benefits would be worth it.''

do you still believe this to be the case now?

Kandinsky Sat 11-Jul-20 18:32:08

Will there be any jobs to lose once the coronavirus pandemic has finally disappeared?
C19 has caused more misery & job loses than brexit ever will.

biba70 Sat 11-Jul-20 18:41:48

perhaps - but the combination of the two = absolute and total disaster and jobs lost galore. Do you disagree?

FarNorth Sat 11-Jul-20 18:48:09

It wouldn't be having a go to just observe that voters were not told of the possibility of No Deal and job losses, if that is the case.

If voters were told that, and voted Leave anyway, presumably they had their reasons.

growstuff Sun 12-Jul-20 01:45:58

I remember being told that there would be more jobs once all the pesky EU citizens, who had stolen our plucky lads' jobs, had gone home.

JenniferEccles Sun 12-Jul-20 09:46:50

I believe the word used in terms of possible job losses was ‘could’ not ‘would’ and as someone said, the comment was referring to the short term.

Why not take an optimistic view ?

We have left. We may or may not have a deal (and I for one really hope we stand firm on the determination to protect our fishing waters) but it’s surely time now to move on and relish our freedom.

I do wonder why you are still concerned about what may or may not have been said years ago

Callistemon Sun 12-Jul-20 10:31:50

George Osborne warned about hundreds of thousands of job losses in a speech at the beginning of June 2016.
But he was scaremongering of course.

Kadinsky yes, I agree about the aftermath of COVID19 probably being far more devastating than Brexit as far as the economy and job losses.

Callistemon Sun 12-Jul-20 10:37:52

25Avalon

The only problem quizqueen is yes whilst I am willing to support British industry and farmers so much is made in China which is not good for air miles. I was knitting the other day with Sirdar (good old English Company) only to discover the yarn was made in China.

Yes, we could think we're buying British until we read the small print, 25Avalon

growstuff Sun 12-Jul-20 11:13:50

So what will this freedom be like?

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 11:34:29

I promised to return MaizieD.

My husband said he didn’t think job losses- in the sense of No Deal was promoted per se, but that job losses in general as a result of Brexit, was. Even with a deal things would change. Some jobs would go. Others would take their place.

25Avalon Sun 12-Jul-20 11:53:57

As a remainer Theresa May was very half hearted in her approach to Brexit and let the EU walk all over her and did not contemplate a no deal. The issue of possible job losses was I believe raised in a Treasury Report presented before the general election of 2016 when David Cameron had mucked up mega big time in agreeing to a referendum. I have looked up Andrea Leadsome and I can find nothing apart from that report which suggested job losses of 500,000 to back up what she says.
The strongest advocate of No Deal was and is Nigel Farage and it was only when TM had failed to deliver for various reasons that BJ and No Deal came to ascendency.

Yes I voted to leave. I did not for one minute believe all the scaremongering about unemployment and I still don’t not in the Brexit context anyway.

MaizieD Sun 12-Jul-20 12:03:11

"No deal is better than a bad deal" T May.

Thanks for your responses everyone. Hi no

biba70 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:09:31

Urmstongran says ' Even with a deal things would change. Some jobs would go. Others would take their place.'

so what will happen with No Deal?

Oopsminty Sun 12-Jul-20 12:12:51

I don't see the point in the OP's post

Had we not had the pandemic, I'd appreciate it and ask the question myself

But now the world is facing massive job losses

Unemployment across Europe has risen due to the coronavirus pandemic with airline companies and the automobile sector making some of the biggest job cuts.

About 397,000 people in the European Union lost their jobs in April, according to data from the EU's stats agency, released in June.

www.euronews.com/2020/07/06/coronavirus-job-cuts-which-companies-in-europe-are-slashing-their-workforces-because-of-co

lemongrove Sun 12-Jul-20 12:47:37

I agree Oopsminty the job losses will be everywhere.

Callistemon Sun 12-Jul-20 12:53:13

We'll never really know, will we?
The fall out from the pandemic will be far worse and eclipse any fall out from a No Deal Brexit.

biba70 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:56:16

but the combination of the two will be doubly disastrous, no?

growstuff Sun 12-Jul-20 13:38:03

From memory, I believe Leavers claimed there would be more jobs in sectors where jobs were being done by immigrants eg fruit picking, care work, packaging, courier work.

Remainers claimed (and they were right) that there would be a loss of jobs in financial services and the car industry.

The first jobs I remember going were the 2000 from the European Medicines Agency when it transferred from Canary Wharf to Amsterdam. I remember that one because a friend was made redundant.

So the net result would be loss of high paying jobs, to be replaced by low paying ones.

The loss of retail jobs probably doesn't have much to do with Brexit, but the high street was on its last legs anyway and Covid-19 has hastened its demise.

biba70 Sun 12-Jul-20 14:15:52

'So the net result would be loss of high paying jobs, to be replaced by low paying ones.'

however, the first has happened, massively and getting worse by the day - and the second has not happened, as local un-employed have not applied or given up after hours or days. Tories want to deregulate workers' rights, minimum wage, etc - and yet now blame Labour for sweatshops in Leicester!